Sand Trout Size Limits

Poor Poor Fisherman

With the recent legal size change in the Gulf for spotted sea trout to a minimum of 15 inches, we were wondering what the size limit is for ocean sand trout? I don’t think I have ever seen a 15 inch sand trout. I’ve tried to find the answer on the Florida Fish and Wildlife website but with no luck.

Thank You

Poor Poor Fisherman

Thanks soooo so much this information! And yea, 100 lbs of those little trout would make for one heck of a fishing day! And I also didn’t realize that they did not freeze well!

Hit-n-Miss

Most people say spotted sea trout don't freeze well. I freeze them in water all the time with good results. I would think you could do the same with sand trout.

Rhodes

I also freeze speckled trout with good results but we caught a bunch of sand trout with a guide in Steinhatchee several years back and the guide told us he did not recommend freezing them but I did anyway. When I thawed and cooked them they were so strong I couldn't eat them. I have since caught and cooked them and they are delicious fresh but have not frozen any since. I would like to hear of others experiences with them as I'm basing my opinions on only that one instance.

fairweather

I clean speckled trout immediately after catching, then vacuum seal them. They keep fine that way. I don't know about sand trout.

mlandrum

I caught enough for supper today and the left over filets I froze in water, I'll get back with you next week and let you know how they taste(y)