Re-Barrel Options ?

GregoryB.

I have a old Remington 700 Sendero in 300 Win Mag. Receiver got damaged by previous owner playing gunsmith. Now I have the rifle and have a new receiver for it. Rifle is totally disassembled. What are some other caliber options that wouldn't take anything more than a new barrel or barrel and bolt ?

nmurph

Are you wanting to go up or down? Since you have a long action you have LOTS of options. The only problem I could forsee would be feeding issues with some of the SS mag calibers.

You could also go Remage route with a barrel nut, and buy multiple caliber barrels and simply swap them out. I haven't done one, but using a set of go/no- go gauges makes it pretty much goof-proof.

Jester896

Senior Clown
what happened to the other receiver? you have a complete receiver? is it the Magnum bolt face too? The L/A would have a .484, .550, or .590 bolt face. If you went with one of the RUMS or SAUM you would have to open the raceway some I believe but it doesn't look like you are going that way. Bolt face will determine what caliber....if it is the old .550 from the win mag you are limited to those size case bases.

nevermind...the barrel is .300 Win Mag....not sure if you could make a 30 Nosler out of it or not.

Liberty

Shorter cartridges could cause feeding problems. Anything on the list that is a rifle cartridge and uses the same shell holder may be a candidate without a bolt swap, although the 30-40 Krag maybe not. Screenshot_20201203-205538_DuckDuckGo.jpg

GregoryB.

They heated and warped/tweaked the receiver along the ejection port cutout. Dont know what they were attempting. It has the original 300 Mag bolt and face. I have the new receiver with the barrel on it hand tight for now.

nmurph

They heated and warped/tweaked the receiver along the ejection port cutout. Dont know what they were attempting. It has the original 300 Mag bolt and face. I have the new receiver with the barrel on it hand tight for now.

Probably trying heat to break the barrel free of the receiver.

The 264WM would be a fine cartridge.

GregoryB.

Just checked Shaw Barrels and one in 264 Win Mag with the Sendero contour and fluting is under $500. May just send them the receiver and let them install it properly.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
6.5mm Swedish Mauser is a good cartridge if it will fit your purposes. My favorite, the .257 Weatherby Magnum, was already mentioned.

Liberty

I’d get a couple Savage style barrels and have a noisy Christmas.

GregoryB.

Liberty, I saw that Shaw Barrels makea an Rem-age adapter. Would definitely make swapping barrels easier.

Liberty

Liberty, I saw that Shaw Barrels makea an Rem-age adapter. Would definitely make swapping barrels easier.

Criterion also makes them for around &300, I`m looking forward to seeing your project completed.

GregoryB.

Does anyone know if you go with the Remage adapter do you have to modify the stock where the receiver meets the barrel ?

Liberty

Does anyone know if you go with the Remage adapter do you have to modify the stock where the receiver meets the barrel ?

I would plan on some inletting if the stock.

GregoryB.

Dont want to start hacking on that Sendero stock so I will stay with the Remington style barrel. Need to call them after the holidays and get a order placed. Might as well send them my receiver and let them attach the barrel at the same time.

Jester896

Senior Clown
the less interfaces you have the better things will be in my view...

no worries...if you hack it up I might can find ya one layin round :D