The perfect turkey vest???????

tr21

I agree. The perfect turkey vest doesn't exist.

I have tried most all turkey vests on the market over the years. For the past two years I have taken a Mossy Oak Super Elite Hybrid and "modified" it somewhat to make it a little more user friendly. The biggest modification was adding an inner tube type seat to the vest.

The vest is HOT, but I don't think it necessarily hangs down too low, but I guess I'm a little bigger than most (6'3"--240 lbs.) It could use another pocket or two for box calls and/or paddle calls. The game bag, though, is ideal for getting a decoy in and out while on the move.

The ideal vest begins with the seat. Comfortable and THICK! Then add 3 box call pockets (one to accommodate a paddle call) two breast pockets for diaphragm calls and crow locator call, a side pocket for owl hooter (Edney special ;) ) a few slate call pockets (3 or so), two big "bellows" pockets for headnet and gloves, two upright button top pockets for strikers, a few smaller pockets for bug spray, Thermacell, call chalk, scuffing pad, etc. and a big game bag for decoys, wing, etc. Lightweight is also a plus, but durability is somwhat sacrificed with lighter weight.

I'm sure I'm leaving something out, but that's about all I can think up right now.
i have looked for another one of these for years. mine is getting so thin from use but nothing else comes close. i even called mossy oak but they sold them to Russel athletics and it just aint the same!!!!

Beagler282

“Rabbit Man”
I like my Alps Grand slam with the built in seat and arms. Some folks say it's to heavy for them but it's way lighter than carrying my turkey lounger in my old turkey vest back pouch. Has plenty compartments for storage and really suits my needs.

spencer12

I bought a midway USA vest for like $40 on sale. It’s actually a really really good vest. I was worried it would be too baggy and loose but it has like 6 points of adjustments and endless pockets.

Thunder Head

Gone but not forgotten
spencer12

Which one?

Gaswamp

I like my Alps Grand slam with the built in seat and arms. Some folks say it's to heavy for them but it's way lighter than carrying my turkey lounger in my old turkey vest back pouch. Has plenty compartments for storage and really suits my needs.
yep it is heavy

chrislibby88

Someone needs to make a light mesh one with all MOLLE or similar webbing on the front, with compatible pockets of different sizes that you can buy separate. That way guys can put the pockets they need, and won’t have all the extra crap that comes on them these days. I do like the built in seats, and hydration bladder pocket in the back, other than thatI really only need a few pouches on the front.

johnnyk2000

Someone needs to make a light mesh one with all MOLLE or similar webbing on the front, with compatible pockets of different sizes that you can buy separate. That way guys can put the pockets they need, and won’t have all the extra crap that comes on them these days. I do like the built in seats, and hydration bladder pocket in the back, other than thatI really only need a few pouches on the front.

I bought one from Dicks about 6-7 years ago that had MOLLE straps all over it. Made by Field and Stream. The clips that held it together cracked the first day and came apart but some para cord and gorilla glue fixed that. I went through some of MOLLE pouches that I had acquired over the years and replaced the ones that came with it and it works great. I think the only original pouch on it is the Themacell holder. No idea if they sell them anymore but I like it a lot

Attachments

• Vest.PNG
    Vest.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 19

chrislibby88

I bought one from Dicks about 6-7 years ago that had MOLLE straps all over it. Made by Field and Stream. The clips that held it together cracked the first day and came apart but some para cord and gorilla glue fixed that. I went through some of MOLLE pouches that I had acquired over the years and replaced the ones that came with it and it works great. I think the only original pouch on it is the Themacell holder. No idea if they sell them anymore but I like it a lot
Man that’s awesome! Too bad it wasn’t a sturdy product to begin with. I’ve though about making one out of a molle chest rig, it may require some sewing and modding to get a seat cushion attached though. Maybe I should start a company? Haha.

crucible02

Anybody use the Cabela's Tactical Tatr 2 vest? I just picked one up at Cabelas yesterday and this thing is awesome! Plenty of pockets, rides higher, good padding, thick seat cushion with elastic straps so you can flip it down easy to sit. It also has a couple of pockets for slates or electronics that fold out like shelves and a mouth call wallet that is on a strap connected to the vest. I think I'm going to like this one a whole lot better than what I've been running.

Cabelas Tactical Tatr 2 Turkey Vest

Stick

Anybody use the Cabela's Tactical Tatr 2 vest? I just picked one up at Cabelas yesterday and this thing is awesome! Plenty of pockets, rides higher, good padding, thick seat cushion with elastic straps so you can flip it down easy to sit. It also has a couple of pockets for slates or electronics that fold out like shelves and a mouth call wallet that is on a strap connected to the vest. I think I'm going to like this one a whole lot better than what I've been running.

Cabelas Tactical Tatr 2 Turkey Vest

I've been using this vest for the last 5-6 years and like it.

tr21

i have looked for another one of these for years. mine is getting so thin from use but nothing else comes close. i even called mossy oak but they sold them to Russel athletics and it just aint the same!!!!
ya know i've told people for years if ya find something that you like and it fits ya just right (be it shoes, britches or even drawers) buy a bunch because when ya need more they either changed em or dont make em anymore !!!!

Stick

Does it seem to be holding up well? I know its been around a while and I've heard nothing but good things.
Yes, I haven't had any issues with it. Zippers and snaps are all in perfect shape. I don't abuse, but do use my stuff. Other than some blood and mud, it's like new!

goblr77

There isn't a perfect turkey vest. The closest thing I've found to what I prefer is the Cabela's Tactical Tatr 2.

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
I've tried a few, and the one I like most is the more expensive academy branded one. Has a seat that is super thick and firm so it doesn't settle to the ground when sitting a long time. It also is not fully enclosed so it breathes well. The pockets are situated well so I can even have a bottle of water within easy reach but hidden.

law dawg

I switched to a Glenda Green man purse, uhhh, I mean satchel, last year and love it. Never thought I’d go that route, but after using it a few weeks and then picking up my highly modified (heavy) vest I don’t know that I can put it on again.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I just use one I bought at Walmart about 20 years ago . And honestly it works great , the only part that’s worn out is the back where I put dead turkeys

3chunter

The best vest was discontinued. It was a version of the elite with zip on long sleeves and the pockets up front had a system like the mouth call cases have. I still have mine but it is retired in the closet. It fit during my thinner days.

Permitchaser

Here’s mine. Had it for years and years. Has a drop down seat, a back pocket big enough for all my decoys or a dead gobbler loads of pockets. I’ve looked for one to replace it but can’t

EDF7FA46-0800-4D3F-9657-6339B32A8DA6.jpeg