Any Redlands reports/updates Nov 2020?

Fletch_W

Banned
Acorn report? Rut yes or no? Have they all been "shot out" yet? Any road closures? Any intel at all that anyone can offer me before this weekend? It will be my first public land deer hunt, going solo. I have a few spots picked out from previous scouting, just looking for any intel from the ground that might help.

Thanks in advance.

oldfatbubba

I've got zero intel from the archery hunt (9/12 - 10/9), the primitive hunt (10/10 - 10/16), or the buck-only firearm hunt (10/17 - 10/30).

D

Deleted member 35556

Nice! What caliber is the Marlin 336?
30-30. The only caliber for a Marlin 336 in my humble opinion. The lever evolution bullets are extremely effective at 150 or less. Deer typically don’t go 20 yards. This one didn’t go 1 yard.

Navigator0321

Tagged the first one after hunting every weekend since archery.
I grew up hunting Redlands with my Marlin 336 30-30, that’s a mighty fine Redlands buck! I still haven’t made my way out there to sit in my favorite spot this season yet.

D

Deleted member 35556

I grew up hunting Redlands with my Marlin 336 30-30, that’s a mighty fine Redlands buck! I still haven’t made my way out there to sit in my favorite spot this season yet.
There are so many people this year, it’s nuts. Archery was quiet. But it’s gotten nutty during the rut.

D

Deleted member 35556

Not surprised, I think there are more hunters overall which is good. Maybe GA DNR will put the extra funds to good use.
Agreed. However, I think the Turkeys got hammered this past season. With their overall decline, Covid was an unfortunate timing. I wouldn't be surprised if they change the turkey regs for 2021. I think hunter take was up 25% of the year prior, and the turkey population is in continued decline. I hope they reduce the season days and give the birds more time to do their thing. I think Deer are generally in a good spot if you don't account for Chattahoochee National Forest. Itll be interesting to see the 2020 deer harvest data in comparison to last year. I'm wondering if we see the same 25% increase in take for deer.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
I'm wondering if we see the same 25% increase in take for deer.

It looked that way early on in the season, but it has normalized. As of today we are within a few hundred deer reported to Game Check as of the same date last year. Turkey season was at the height of the shutdown, so it's not going to have the same impact on deer season.

D

Deleted member 35556

It looked that way early on in the season, but it has normalized. As of today we are within a few hundred deer reported to Game Check as of the same date last year. Turkey season was at the height of the shutdown, so it's not going to have the same impact on deer season.
Awesome. That’s good news. It sure feels like there are more hunters in the woods this year. But maybe that was carry over from earlier in the season.

Redbeardless

Not seeing a lot of deer, they don't seem to be moving much. I usually gauge deer movement by how much shooting I hear off in the distance. Most mornings that I have hunted, I hear two or three shots and sometimes none, which tells me that the deer aren't on the move, especially considering how many people are in the woods at Redlands. The storms that blew through earlier paved the ground with acorns in the white oak bottoms. When it is like that, the deer don't have to move much to feed. The rut seems to be in full swing judging by the number of dead deer laying on the side of the road, but I have yet to see any chasing in the woods. Hopefully, this will be the week.