Dawson County Bear back from the taxidermist

gcs

That is a beautiful bear!! The mount surely does do it justice!! Congratulations!
I agree. The taxidermist told us after tanning the hide, it would be smaller after drying. It still turned out pretty big. Pictures doesn’t do it justice.

wvdawg

Staff member
Beautiful! Congrats!

Reactions: gcs

bany

Great mount y’all did! Looks great too, she’s smiling all over again isn’t she!

gcs

Nice. Glad to see it was mounted in a natural way. I mean w/out the snarling teeth you see in most mounts. BTW, what did the skull measure? Did you get an age back from the DNR?

We haven’t heard anything back from the dnr on the age of the bear. I haven‘t had the skull officially scored. When we took the bear to the taxidermist, we told them we want to have a skull mount also. When we picked up the skull, they had removed the back part. I guess they did that to help remove some of the brain matter. I measured the skull myself, and I came up with 19”. I’m guessing if it had the other part that was cut off, it might have went 20”

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
Absolutely awesome bear. Congrats to her.

Mattval

That's a monster. Congratulations!
What rifle, caliber and bullet did she shoot it with?

gcs

That's a monster. Congratulations!
What rifle, caliber and bullet did she shoot it with?
Rifle: Sako 75
Caliber: 7mm-08
Bullet: 140 grain nosler bt
The bear only went 25 yards after the shot.

Mattval

Rifle: Sako 75
Caliber: 7mm-08
Bullet: 140 grain nosler bt
The bear only went 25 yards after the shot.
WOW not even a super,duper,ultra magnum!

gcs

WOW not even a super,duper,ultra magnum!
She just had great shot placement. She killed a 275 lb. bear two years before she killed this big boy and dropped it in its tracks. She was using the same gun and ammo.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
That is freaking gorgeous! Love it!