Port Saint Joe trout

pottydoc

Took a couple of bud out earlier this week. We kept six trout, 16-22" 2 pompano, and several blue fish. We released a 28, 25, 23 1\2', 23,22, and two 19 1\2" trout. That's the most over slot fish I've ever been a part of catching in one day before. We were trying to fill out limit, but couldn't get enough fish under 19" . The 28" was my personal best. All the fish 2 3" and over came on large for inshore) pin fish, the others on microfiber and plastics, mainly gulps. We caught probably 15 or so ladyfish, also. One my buddy caught managed to bury a treble book in my thumb while I was "showing" him how to unhook one safely. Used the loop of mono trick and popped right out. First time I've had one removed that way, but have used it on a few other guys.

Rabun

That’s a great day Doc! I’m on the cape now and yesterday wade fishing caught a 20+ trout all on doa swimbait but most were shorts. A couple slot reds as well. Haven’t caught anything but hardtails on the beach. Looking forward to wind direction change.

douginga

That’s a great day Doc! I’m on the cape now and yesterday wade fishing caught a 20+ trout all on doa swimbait but most were shorts. A couple slot reds as well. Haven’t caught anything but hardtails on the beach. Looking forward to wind direction change.

I'm over on SJB, the Blue Runners have been awful in the morning on incoming tide, I caught these Pompano last Thursday afternoon just after the tide turned & was going out. We've been catching big whiting too. pompano429.jpg

DEERFU

Have the rabbit fish aka smooth skin puffers invaded the cape area yet? They are still pretty bad around the hatch. The locals are pushing people to eat them also

pottydoc

Tell me about this "loop of mono" trick.
It’s a. Lot easier to understand if someone shows you. There are multiple U Tube videos on it. Just do a search for removing hooks. Braid works also. The hook comes out with almost no pain, and you slap some antibiotic cream and a bandaid on it, and keep fishing. They take them out the same way at the minor medical clinics or the ER.

fairweather

Thanks for the tip about hook removal, gentlemen. That video kind of makes my skin crawl, but I'm going to remember it in case I ever need it. At least I've already replaced all of my treble hooks with single hooks for my own safety!

The Donk

Nice job on the big trout! and learning how to snatch a hook out is mandatory for the accident prone like myself. I was fishing from my kayak 2 miles offshore and took a king rig to the thumb. That was my first time snatching a hook from my own skin, but I got it done and kept fishing.

fairweather

Puffers: I fish the bay 40+ days/year. I catch lots of those nasty things. They are one of a handful of fish that will cut a Z-man elastic soft bait in half. I can catch reds and trout on the same bait for a week until I run into one of those.

Beehaw

Puffers: I fish the bay 40+ days/year. I catch lots of those nasty things. They are one of a handful of fish that will cut a Z-man elastic soft bait in half. I can catch reds and trout on the same bait for a week until I run into one of those.

I have found the same. I love the Zman and find it indestructible. i have caught numerous spanish on it, but one puffer can destroy one. I hate those fish.

frett

Have the rabbit fish aka smooth skin puffers invaded the cape area yet? They are still pretty bad around the hatch. The locals are pushing people to eat them also
Eat the panhandle puffers, y'all. The easiest fish to clean, and absolutely delicious. YouTube has some good videos.

I think they're still banned from harvest in Indian River, Brevard, Volusia, St. Lucie and Martin counties.

Last edited: