Goose and Duck hunting Neat Atlanta and Southern Georgia

Good morning Everyone.

I'm a recent transplant to Atlanta Georgia from Upstate NY where I enjoyed Goose and Duck hunting in lakes and big public ponds.

If anyone can give me any insight where I could continue goose and duck hunting here in georgia I would greatly appreciate it!

To note, I would be either in my Kayak or Canoe for it!

Gator89

Good morning Everyone.

I'm a recent transplant to Atlanta Georgia from Upstate NY where I enjoyed Goose and Duck hunting in lakes and big public ponds.

If anyone can give me any insight where I could continue goose and duck hunting here in georgia I would greatly appreciate it!

To note, I would be either in my Kayak or Canoe for it!

Got any friends or family in Arkansas?

across the river

Thank you!

Yeah Ive glanced at the website, was wondering if there were more specific places (WMA etc) that are good, or are there onset avoid.

Being as honest as I can be about it, Georgia is pretty terrible for duck hunting in general. It’s tough on private a lot of the time, and even tougher on public. Most of what gets killed here by most people are wood ducks. Find a WMA, put in some boot work, and try to find a creek, beaver pond, flooded bottom after a big rain, etc..... holding a few wood ducks you can hunt. As far as lakes go, the big ones, and even a most of the smaller ones gets pounded and there typically isn’t much there to hunt anyway. You will see more hunters than ducks most of the time. Can you kill birds on public land in Georgia? Yes, but it is a ton of work for very little reward. A large number of people that live in Georgia that duck hunt go out of state to hunt and rarely hunt Georgia, if that tells you anything.

Being as honest as I can be about it, Georgia is pretty terrible for duck hunting in general. It’s tough on private a lot of the time, and even tougher on public. Most of what gets killed here by most people are wood ducks. Find a WMA, put in some boot work, and try to find a creek, beaver pond, flooded bottom after a big rain, etc..... holding a few wood ducks you can hunt. As far as lakes go, the big ones, and even a most of the smaller ones gets pounded and there typically isn’t much there to hunt anyway. You will see more hunters than ducks most of the time. Can you kill birds on public land in Georgia? Yes, but it is a ton of work for very little reward. A large number of people that live in Georgia that duck hunt go out of state to hunt and rarely hunt Georgia, if that tells you anything.

Gotcha, I assumed it would be rough from what I read, but thank you for the heads up!
Yeah I am hoping to put in some leg work and hike a WMA to find a spot.

across the river

Oh boy, well all I can do is try!

You can kill ducks in Georgia, and you can do it on public land. It just isn’t as easy being that this is not a fly way state and is harder than it once was when there were less people messing with them. You get very few birds migrating through comparatively speaking and a lot that pass over don’t stop. You aren’t going to just go sit on a like or pond and decoy or call in birds that just happen to be migrating through. There just aren’t enough of them. Scout one evening, if you find birds, go back and hunt them the next morning. If you don’t find birds, go deer hunting. There are birds to be killed, but you will do a lot of leg work and spend a lot of time scouting to see and kill what will likely be way less than what you are accustomed to. It is what it is.

You can kill ducks in Georgia, and you can do it on public land. It just isn’t as easy being that this is not a fly way state and is harder than it once was when there were less people messing with them. You get very few birds migrating through comparatively speaking and a lot that pass over don’t stop. You aren’t going to just go sit on a like or pond and decoy or call in birds that just happen to be migrating through. There just aren’t enough of them. Scout one evening, if you find birds, go back and hunt them the next morning. If you don’t find birds, go deer hunting. There are birds to be killed, but you will do a lot of leg work and spend a lot of time scouting to see and kill what will likely be way less than what you are accustomed to. It is what it is.

I hear you. Up in NY what I mostly hunted was wood ducks in the back slews of lakes and ponds as the teal were long gone by the time the season started and we only really got mallards when it got colder and they started to migrate from Canada.

The migrating geese were fun though. Hunted them on farms as said farmers hated them and loved having us there in our ground blinds!

With what you are use to . You will not find you like duck hunting in Georgia. It’s hard and not many ducks .

jdgator

There’s actually plenty of resident geese in Georgia. You’ll have fine sport if you enjoy getting after them. The farmers find them to be a pest too.

There’s actually plenty of resident geese in Georgia. You’ll have fine sport if you enjoy getting after them. The farmers find them to be a pest too.

Do you know of any such "angry farmers" that I could provide a chemical free and relatively carbon neutral pest removal service?!?

chase870

Possum Sox
Hunt in other places than Ga. if you can dealing with the retarded duck commanders in this state will just make you mad

jdgator

Do you know of any such "angry farmers" that I could provide a chemical free and relatively carbon neutral pest removal service?!?

There really is no secret handshake. First you find the peanut fields holding geese then you knock on the door. Ask if you can hunt it the next morning. You'll get a yes more then you'll get a no.