Native Americans in Baldwin County near Milledgeville.

JonathanG2013

Trying to figure out what Native Amerian Tribe lived near Milledgeville, GA. My dad lived there and I have seen arrowhead and pottery in the Oconee River.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
One thing that most folks don't consider is that 90%+ of the points and stuff you find have absolutely nothing at all to do with the historic tribes that were living there at the time of European contact. People were living all over this continent for over 10,000 years before those tribes existed. A lot of the southeastern tribes like the Cherokee and Creek were relative newcomers to the area.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
If any of you are traveling Highway 16 between Eatonton and the dam, the Rock Hawk effigy has a lot of information on the tribal Nations in the Oconee river valley. I’ll give it a big ?? Rock Eagle also has a lot of information too. The Rock Eagle 4-H center has a very nice museum with lots of artifacts.

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
My wife and children graduated from GCSU. They brought a lot of books home for me to read on the Nations even before DeSoto came thru and decimated the area. A couple they couldn’t check out because of the age of the books. They had lots of info from the Spanish priest. Information is out there but locked up in universities libraries. I’m old and forgetful now but the upper Uchee had several trails above the fall line going all the way to the gulf coast that all nations used at one time

westcobbdog

As a little kid i remember going with my Grandma to either a relatives or friends home in Milledgeville where her family was from. The home had some unreal Indian artifacts including a big war Indian bonnet.

oochee hunter

On the map there is a bold line with 1715, it runs right thru my farm pretty much. What does the bold line signify if anything?

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
On the map there is a bold line with 1715, it runs right thru my farm pretty much. What does the bold line signify if anything?

Without researching I would guess that those lines with years might represent boundaries related to various treaties.

longrangedog

An interesting book on Desoto's expedition (a compilation of 5 accounts written by members of the expedition) by Charles Hudson is "Knights of Spain, Warriors of the Sun".

AceOfTheBase

What does the bold line signify if anything?
Believe those were major travel routes that were in use at that time.
Some of those trails became boundaries to separate settlers from hunting grounds, trails map link :
Georgia-Indian-Trails-and-Early-Roads.jpg