My breaks don’t work

bilgerat

Senior
My ex girlfriend call me and asked if I could look at her breaks . Said she had to put fluid in the “ thingy “ She brought it over yesterday and I saw fluid all over the right front wheel , I pulled the wheel and caliper off and this is what her inside break pad looked like ,or should I say what was left of the break pad . she had worn thru the pad , the 1/8 inch backing plate and the caliper was rubbin on the roter causing it to get hot and melted the seals !!! I asked when did the breaks start squeaking and she said a while back so I just turned the radio up so I didn’t have to hear it ?image.jpg

transfixer

Oh yeah ! we see that and worse from time to time in the shop,, amazes me how some people can drive vehicles like that and not have a wreck, she was lucky !

K80Shooter

I assume she needs hearing aids or either needs to turn the radio down a little.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Did putting fluid in the thingy involve the vehicle in any way?

Lilly001

I had one fill the master cylinder with power steering fluid once.
That was sweet.

bilgerat

Senior
Well , she didn’t put fluid in it , the guy at auto zone did it for her .

My wifey did the same but not as bad. She said a wheel bearing is going.
I remember a neighbor in Ohio bought a used truck from a dealer. They informed him it had new brakes. He said lets go for a ride but when he tried to leave the drive, I stopped him. Now this took some effort to do as the pads were installed backwards with steel against steel.

zedex

Gator Bait
Look at the bright side of it.... she got her money's worth out of the pads. That's called being frugal.

About 25 years ago, a woman brought in her Camaro with a brake complaint. Said it was good, then made noise for a while and then that noise got louder. After a couple months, it kinda got quiet but then it was really bad. Now, the brake pedal goes to the floor.

I put it on the lift and checked things over. The right inboard pad was completely gone, not even the backing plate was there. And, the caliper piston had worn against the rotor until the inner plate was gone and the piston was dug into the cooling fins.

If not for the proportioning valve cutting off supply to that corner of the car, she would have been in a very bad way

Things get funny with wifey's, mine said the check transmission light came on, I said no such thing, it is engine but she bought transmission fluid and over filled it. I caught her putting wiper fluid in the radiator.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Easy to see why she is an ……….. glad it ended well.

Neither does your spell check.:ROFLMAO:

bilgerat

Senior
What I found strange was the reman caliper was 43 bucks and the core charge was 45?

fredw

Retired Moderator
My ex girlfriend call me and asked if I could look at her breaks . Said she had to put fluid in the “ thingy “ She brought it over yesterday and I saw fluid all over the right front wheel , I pulled the wheel and caliper off and this is what her inside break pad looked like ,or should I say what was left of the break pad . she had worn thru the pad , the 1/8 inch backing plate and the caliper was rubbin on the roter causing it to get hot and melted the seals !!! I asked when did the breaks start squeaking and she said a while back so I just turned the radio up so I didn’t have to hear it ?

Bless her heart!

I majored in automotive and was a mechanic with cars and 18 wheelers for a long time. Did some body work too. But it is hard to explain things to the wife. Them I put in 42 years with United Airlines.