2022 Seasons/Limits

buckpasser

You need to start turning people in who are breaking laws….

We don’t have judges who care down here, and if they do “care” the fine isn’t really scaring anyone too bad. Good advice though.

Maybe take out an add in the local newspaper shedding light on stage situation?
More publicity would force them to deal with things I would think.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
This thread has some passion in it, as it should. I appreciate those here that think for themselves. I listen to podcasts every week while on the road and in the tractor cab. I listen to endless hours of input from wildlife biologists and have gained lots of great info from it. The one thing that makes you pound your head into the wall is the lack of common sense displayed by many of these folks. For example, I listened to one last week about supplemental feeding. The guy spent five years and lots of money to conclude that coons and possums are the primary recipient of supplemental feed stations. Well duh, if you dump feed into a trough feeder or spin feeder it happens. Meanwhile, I’m putting out dozens of tons annually through boss buck feeders and the critters rarely ever appear on camera!

My point is, the changes are definitely just “to be doing something”. I like the daily limit, but if I wait to start hunting on that start date I’ll be in the minority in my neighborhood. These guys start about March 1st. The worst thing is that it won’t do a darn thing for population increase and failed in the experimental area. Too bad.
People have been killing them for years as soon as they start gobbling good . And limit ?

Turkeytider

This thread has some passion in it, as it should. I appreciate those here that think for themselves. I listen to podcasts every week while on the road and in the tractor cab. I listen to endless hours of input from wildlife biologists and have gained lots of great info from it. The one thing that makes you pound your head into the wall is the lack of common sense displayed by many of these folks. For example, I listened to one last week about supplemental feeding. The guy spent five years and lots of money to conclude that coons and possums are the primary recipient of supplemental feed stations. Well duh, if you dump feed into a trough feeder or spin feeder it happens. Meanwhile, I’m putting out dozens of tons annually through boss buck feeders and the critters rarely ever appear on camera!

My point is, the changes are definitely just “to be doing something”. I like the daily limit, but if I wait to start hunting on that start date I’ll be in the minority in my neighborhood. These guys start about March 1st. The worst thing is that it won’t do a darn thing for population increase and failed in the experimental area. Too bad.

Yes Buck, and I would strongly suspect that your neighbors pay little, if any attention, to any other game regulations either. Why stop there? Maybe even ANY laws in general that inconvenience them in the slightest way?

cowhornedspike

Yes Buck, and I would strongly suspect that your neighbors pay little, if any attention, to any other game regulations either. Why stop there? Maybe even ANY laws in general that inconvenience them in the slightest way?

I've been known to straddle the yellow line in a two lane road before...end even turn without my signal most of the time...

Turkeytider

I've been known to straddle the yellow line in a two lane road before...end even turn without my signal most of the time...
Sure, no one leads a perfect, transgression free life. I know I haven’t. Then again, I’ve never knowingly , and repeatedly, violated the law in general, and game laws in particular. What Buckpasser was describing was an act of overt selfishness on the part of his neighbors. “ I’m going to get mine and I don’t give care about you , the law, or the resource “. If that becomes the predominant attitude, we might as well hang it up as a society. We’ll have far bigger problems than just no turkeys.

Last edited by a moderator:

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
Had 3 different groups of poults on 2 cell cameras at the same moment in time 200 yards apart. To go along with the 18 or so I have seen quite a few times on another a mile and a half away. Then I realize outside of the short distance those cameras detect, there are a few thousand acres. How many poults are out there I can't see? I think the turkeys will be fine. Even when they don't light on gun barrels.

buckpasser

Had 3 different groups of poults on 2 cell cameras at the same moment in time 200 yards apart. To go along with the 18 or so I have seen quite a few times on another a mile and a half away. Then I realize outside of the short distance those cameras detect, there are a few thousand acres. How many poults are out there I can't see? I think the turkeys will be fine. Even when they don't light on gun barrels.

See, the new laws and the turkey doc’s solution are already working. You’re welcome.

buckpasser

Maybe take out an add in the local newspaper shedding light on stage situation?
More publicity would force them to deal with things I would think.

Have you ever looked at game violations vs penalties of the convicted in GA? There was a guy down here that poached multiple big bucks off of Greenwood plantation (allowed no hunting at the time). DNR caught on, staked him out, tried to catch him and he got away. They then called in a GSP chopper with thermal. He still evaded them and made it home by foot hours and miles later. One warden was injured chasing him at the beginning of the pursuit. I think they fined him like $1200 for all that...

It’s probably cheaper to just poach than do it right in some cases. I don’t condone any of that, but that’s what leads to a society of game violators down here. These season date changes suck and are the result of squeaky wheels like yourself. They are also founded on one man’s theory that didn’t even work on the experimental location. All the while turkeys already appear to be trending back up (as they do on their own). The positive is, maybe we’ll come away with less turkey hunters after this period of lower population.

Last edited:

buckpasser

Sure, no one leads a perfect, transgression free life. I know I haven’t. Then again, I’ve never knowingly , and repeatedly, violated the law in general, and game laws in particular. What Buckpasser was describing was an act of overt selfishness on the part of his neighbors. “ I’m going to get mine and I don’t give care about you , the law, or the resource “. If that becomes the predominant attitude, we might as well hang it up as a society. We’ll have far bigger problems than just no turkeys.

I can’t speak to the reasoning of outlaws and their minds, but I will give them this. The turkey activity has been at a fevered pitch here long before the old opening day. N FL season is usually already in and we sit and wait. Meanwhile, on old opening day it’s like the dead of winter in N GA. It’s not really fair that we never got a crack at them here until much later in the breeding process. Now, our already “late” opening day is pushed back even further. It won’t be accepted by any of the outlaws and maybe a few of the ones that were waiting. Maybe if they’d zoned it? Maybe if they had proof it works? Stupid move IMO.

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
See, the new laws and the turkey doc’s solution are already working. You’re welcome.
Lol. The out of staters still have it made. Blow through here early season, grab them a couple, and leave us working for the lazy complainers.

IMHO Big clubs in south GA are what created a bunch of the monsters in the first place.

The stories I have heard about guys in south GA shooting multiple bucks per season baffles me. Most of those "good old boys" are now "aging out" but I'm telling you I have heard some doozie stories over the years.

Sorry your still having to deal with the nonsense down there!

If it were up to me if a person was convicted of poaching they would be financially ruined at a minimum....."Hit and sunk". I have 0 tolerance for poaching.

I just hope the turkey changes that are made are going to make a difference for all of us. I seen a few hens in Lincoln county that had poults this spring but I wouldn't say that there were a lot of poults.

Last edited:

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
Me personally, as far as hunting laws go. I like to take pics of success and show off to my friends and family. I like to impress them. But 1st and foremost I want to challenge and impress myself. If illegal activity would take place for me to have a successful kill then I would feel guilty and wouldn't have impressed myself.
I wish all would follow simple rules set so that we can hunt, gather and prosper in a society but know all will not partake. So let's do the best we can.

LTFDretired

I hope to find a club I can afford. The one I had near Dallas, Ga. that got sold off for. MacMansion development. Willing to travel to any club in GA, thanks