St Joe Bay Questons

Joel

Some of you may remember me asking about a flats boat a while back...ended up with a CS 198DLV. We're loving the boat and getting ready to head to Cape San Blas in 2 weeks. This'll be our first time actually getting to fish the bay in a boat and would love to put my boys on some trout. I'm assuming all the normal stuff will work for trout and reds but looking for any advice anyone is willing to share. Not looking for anybody spots but really have no idea where to start. I'll either be putting in at Eagle Harbour or the public ramp in St Joe. I've even considered putting in at Indian Pass and trying that way. Feel free to PM me if you want. Appreciate anything anyone has to offer!

bassboy1

Pinfish under a popping cork. Look for potholes in the grass flats in around 5' of water. Fish early and late right now, until the water starts to cool.

Be careful navigating at Indian Pass. Lotsa shallow prop killing oyster bars.

fairweather

From Eagle Harbor, I suggest you work either north or south over the grass. From the PSJ public ramp work south over the grass. If the wind is from the east, I prefer to fish the east side, and if it's from the west, I prefer the west side. The water has started to cool and they are moving in. I don't know what your boat drafts, but be very careful, especially at low tide. It can get very shallow in a hurry. You will see lots of prop scars. In the bay there really aren't oyster hazards, but you don't want to scar the grass.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
You can also troll mackerel tree rigs on steep slopes where it quickly drops from 4 to 6 feet down to 12+ feet. They like it fast, 5 mph.

The Donk

There are some white poles between Black's island and the Southern tip of the bay. They mark the edge of the really shallow grass. Swimbaits on jig heads and Popa Dog from the front of the boat and live bait under a cork in the back. Pot holes and turtle grass. Good luck.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
From Eagle Harbor, I suggest you work either north or south over the grass. From the PSJ public ramp work south over the grass. If the wind is from the east, I prefer to fish the east side, and if it's from the west, I prefer the west side. The water has started to cool and they are moving in. I don't know what your boat drafts, but be very careful, especially at low tide. It can get very shallow in a hurry. You will see lots of prop scars. In the bay there really aren't oyster hazards, but you don't want to scar the grass.

I lost an entire lobe off my prop once in front of Black's Island, took a very long time to limp bac to the ramp at idle speed to keep from wallowing out the bearings. I've always carried a spare prop since. I was only idling along when it happened too.

Heartstarter

Hey Joel, I’d stay out of Indian Pass if it was me. South toward Blacks Island out of PSJ around grass in 5-6 ft has been producing good trout. I’ve done better with a gulp shrimp under a cajun thunder than with live shrimp. I’m seeing a good many boats at Highland view bridge the last couple weeks but I haven’t tried it there myself since early July. We caught a ton of upper slot and better Reds all spring and early summer as well as some big sheepshead. Shoot me a text, there are a few other easy to get to spots I hit frequently that might produce for you.

Joel

Thank you everybody! We're counting the days now. We love fishingvaround here but my son and I both absolutely love flats fishing. I'll post some pictures if we catch any.
Heartstarter....text me and let me know when's a good time to text you, brother!

Rabun

Eagle harbor area holds plenty of fish. Top water early and late, swim baits and twitch baits in between. Catch a few pinfish and drag behind the boat while trolling/polling along. I'm not sure if the tarpon are still there or not around the point

zachdawg

I’ll be there on October 8. Let me know how you do and what they’re biting if you would. I’ll be in a kayak so probably can’t go some places but any info would be appreciated