2021 Oglethorpe County

jbird1

Same story towards Carlton...Mostly black snakes and a few copperheads. They say that from NE Oglethorpe towards Elbert county, there is a sub-species of pygmy rattler. I have never seen one however. One of the members played a trick on me a few years ago. He borrowed my 4 wheeler for something or other. When I opened the dry storage on the machine to grab some gloves, a green snake jumped out at me. We all had a good chuckle at my expense. This was the only one of those I've ever seen. It was long and skinny...about 2 feet and the color of a light colored lime.

Edit- Just looked it up...it's called a "rough green snake." It looks an awful lot like a green mamba..haha.

Last edited:

buckbull

We have had blessed start to the season -- two young men got their best ever bucks. And I too, like you guys, love to see the boys have success in the woods . Thanks for kind words.

I have been following this thread for a while and thought this year it is time to share some our our experiences with you folks as I have enjoyed the experiences and information shared on this thread.

transfixer

We have had blessed start to the season -- two young men got their best ever bucks. And I too, like you guys, love to see the boys have success in the woods . Thanks for kind words.

I have been following this thread for a while and thought this year it is time to share some our our experiences with you folks as I have enjoyed the experiences and information shared on this thread.

I'm glad to hear the young guys are into hunting ! in this day and time there aren't many young people in the woods it seems, Congrats to the young men !

Buford_Dawg

Glad you joined us Buckbull, keep on posting (y) What part of OC do you hunt, not to specific. I hunt several spots myself, Sandy Cross, Glades and far west side of county off Centerville road close to Wilkes county. I am a huge proponent of getting our youth in the woods and on the lakes/rivers. And most of the followers here know my 2 boys have grown up on the OC woods since both were around age of 5, have posted lots of deer and turkey and hog pictures thru the years of them. They have hunted with some of the persons who post these threads. They grown up into terrific young men now and college and real work tend to get in their way of hunting sometimes, but they have already made numerous trips down this year to spend a day in the woods with me and my regular hunting buddies. I sure enjoy my time in the woods with them. This forum lights up this time of year which makes it really fun.

Big_Red

I haven’t updated in a while. REALLY happy with my new pole barn and had old logging decks smoothed, plowed, and planted.

What I’m not happy about is round two of Alpha-Gal Syndrome. This is a mammal meat allergy from tick bites. First was 2017 that I got over a year later and now have it again from tick bites a month ago. I’m fairly cautious, but ticks can inevitably get on me.

Perhaps there is something off with my body, but watch out for ticks folks. I will miss my favorite meal of bone in ribeye for the foreseeable future.

Anything above 0.10 elevated. I’m at 26 and change, will test again in 6 months.

Attachments

• 06E4516A-6A21-4401-B59A-7A567BE15CB1.jpeg
    06E4516A-6A21-4401-B59A-7A567BE15CB1.jpeg
    99 KB · Views: 13

Todd E

My cousin almost died a few months ago from it.
Had a meal of antelope. Jumped all over him that night.

Its nothing to play with. But not being able to have red meat just stinks.

Triple C

Big Red... That’s a bad piece of luck on round 2. Hate that for you. Congrats on the progress you’re making on your land. Gotta get down there n check it out soon.

Big_Red

Appreciate your kind words Buford Dawg.

Triple C, you welcome to stop in anytime. Your son should be out sometime in next couple of weeks to install finishing touches of gravel under barn. Over the past year I swear I’ve had a dozen loads of gravel. Never enough!

Hope you get better soon, Big Red.

Big Red... That’s a bad piece of luck on round 2. Hate that for you. Congrats on the progress you’re making on your land. Gotta get down there n check it out soon.

Triple C

Appreciate your kind words Buford Dawg.

Triple C, you welcome to stop in anytime. Your son should be out sometime in next couple of weeks to install finishing touches of gravel under barn. Over the past year I swear I’ve had a dozen loads of gravel. Never enough!
Yep. Told me Sunday nite he was planning on getting to you in next week or so.

Souhternhunter17

Plan to stay down in Oglethorpe Co. tomorrow night. Any of you all have a camp in the Smithsonia, Comer, or Sandy Cross area within a reasonable drive I would love to come by and hangout in the afternoon/evening if you would have me. I would be alone, would love to meet you all in person. Shoot me a pm and we can exchange #’s.