Remington 600

Stainlessman

My uncle had moved back to Maine after going there in the air force then marrying a native and making a life there. He stopped on Sunday with his Remington 600 in .308 cal. Wanting me to help align his scope as it was off.
I set up a bench to shoot from. And after four shots and three adjustments at 54 yards it was in a paper plate very near center. The rifle his wife bought him new as a gift in Alaska. Well worn he had shot over 20 moose and a dozen caribou with it. And one black bear that scented them while on a moose hunt and they could not scare off. Thirty feet away one shot in the head as his wife was wave her hands hollering Bear Bear it just kept walking towards them. Hes lived the life only an Alaskan would understand. Anyway the Remington 600 is a short bolt action with a vented rib...
Im no gunsmith but ive never see a rife with the vented rib only shot guns. I regret now I didnt take a photo of it. But I will next time I stop at his place.

SC Hunter

I've seen a few with the vented rib but not many! That's a wild land up there and it sounds like your uncle has a lot of interesting stories to tell!

Timberman

Those 600’s are awesome guns. I had several over the years and regret letting them go. One I traded to my brother so it’s at least still in the family.

Nimrod71

I remember them very well. I have always wanted a 350 Mag. I had one in 308 but I sold it. That is another one I wish I had kept.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
My Paternal Grandfather had one. I have no idea what happened to it when he died.

sleepr71

I have one that started life as a .222,but somewhere along the way it got rechambered to .223(I guess for more Ammo availability). Beautiful little rifle. My uncle has one in 308 & it kicks harder than my 7mmRM. It’s a handful in that little rifle. They handle well & with that flat forend..they make excellent deer blind/shooting house rifles?

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety
I have one that started life as a .222,but somewhere along the way it got rechambered to .223(I guess for more Ammo availability). Beautiful little rifle. My uncle has one in 308 & it kicks harder than my 7mmRM. It’s a handful in that little rifle. They handle well & with that flat forend..they make excellent deer blind/shooting house rifles?
The .308 600 definitely has more recoil than the .350 mag. Lighter I guess, no recoil pad.

au7126

I have 2 . One has went thru son and 2 grandsons is 243. Have a 222 also that I traded from a co worker. Has only had 17 rounds down the tube before I traded for it. I upgraded the scope and put 5 more rounds to zero scope. These guns got a bad rap that I can understand after watching my son unload gun. Have to work bolt to eject rounds and has to be off safety to unload. Gunsmith did his majic and now can be unloaded with safety on. Also both my guns had plastic trigger guards that were prone to break. Metal replacement on both now.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I had one in .308. It carried, handled, and shot like a dream but kicked like a mule. The only other thing that I regret selling more than that rifle was a 72 Toyota FJ-40.

Jimmypop

My first deer rifle was a Mohawk 600 in 308 . Put a Bishop mannlicher stock on it. No checkering. It was stolen in 1988. My name ,address and phone number is under the butt plate. I sure would like to have it back.

Stainlessman

I think when I Google Remington 600
It said manufacturered between 1967-1968.
And it sure does kill on both ends.
I bought a ...I think its a savage .308 for my daughter a few yrs ago at cabelas.
I also bought the custom lite shells I think by hornady. A day and night difference in recoil for her and me.
The 'package ' came with scope. What a piece of junk.
Went back the next week and had a vortex put on.

Stainlessman

Ive sold like 6 guns in my lifetime. And I regret letting every single one go. At the time I had a reason. The Taurus , the 38/55 Winchester, the Ruger mini14. (getting depressed) as you grow older and hopefully smarter you (Me) also realize mistakes I've made in life. Don't sell your firearms. If your young and need a $buck. Just wait a few weeks and President Biden will have your check in the mail.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I had a 600 in .308 back in the day. Traded it in on a ABolt .300 WSM with a black plastic stock!

I was an idiot...