Anybody got any pics or story's from Acworth Spillway

little rascal

When I left Ga, they were widening the highway there. Gonna look totally different than it was before.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
When I left Ga, they were widening the highway there. Gonna look totally different than it was before.
OH, it does.. big time. 4 lane bridge over the Toona side. No access to either of the parking spots any more.

Anvil Head

They're starting to crowd the old roadbed on both ends in Acworth. Local LEO's are giving them fits though. Suspect a lot will migrate to across from Blockhouse under the bridge with all the druggies.

KKrueger

I wish they had made some kind of rock wall under the new bridge parallel to the flow out of the spillway for folks to fish that area. Not tons of bank opportunities around, seemed a good opportunity for a good one to be created.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
I wish they had made some kind of rock wall under the new bridge parallel to the flow out of the spillway for folks to fish that area. Not tons of bank opportunities around, seemed a good opportunity for a good one to be created.
Yeah, could make the old park a pay to park area and folks could just fish off the rocks like always. But, that would mean at least three govt. agencies (1 fed, 1 state, and 1 local) all agreeing and working together for the good of the people... never happen.

Last edited:

FootLongDawg

When I was probably in what is now called middle school, maybe early high school, my wonderful mother would drive me in the morning from Marietta to the spillway many times in the spring, drop me off and return to get me in the evening. I would drudge down the rocks with a couple of Zebco 33's and a green tin Plano tackle box, find the best flat rock near the water to sit all day, and throw my arm off primarily for crappie. I felt like a king on the very rare occasion I would catch a six ounce bass. I would throw doll flies corked about 3 feet deep. Some days I would catch them all day long , but a whole lot of the time I got skunked. Sometimes when I got skunked, it was not necessarily cause the fish weren't biting, but equipment failures. Cell phones weren't even thought about, so I just had to sit there for hours till my mother would come get me if I ran out of line or broke off enough doll flies 9n the jagged rocks. Times have changed, most kids would not leave their Xbox for an hour, much less a day at the lake alone. But I thank goodness for those times.

Last edited:

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
I was me on my bike riding to one of the ponds around west Cobb / east Paulding Co., there was a old man in Powder Springs that kept Igloo cups full of wigglers on his front porch.. just drop a dollar in the tin can and fish for a week. On occasion Dad would load me, Tinker, all our gear and the trolling motor up and drop us at Lake Luciele at daylight on Sat. morning and pick us up at dark. Dollar each to fish and two dollars to use one of their 16 foot Jon Boats.

OwlRNothing

I never got to fish alone as a kid. My mother was way too over-protective for that - but I did do alot of fishing with Dad and with uncles and such when I was very young. Once I got my first truck though at 16, it was ON. I spent the next 35 years chasing any fish I could catch. Best days of my life, really. As I'm starting to get into old age ( perhaps a bit earlier than most) I'm already looking back on the time I spent fishing and wishing I could do it all over again. Days spent crawling up trout streams or bass fishing a pond - nights on the dock at my cousin's place on Sinclair or fishing with my high school friend who was more interested in goofing off than catching anything. Time of my life. Kids, the older you get the faster it goes. My advice is to go hard while you still can. You can sleep when you're dead. :)

Anvil Head

I used to think that, but now at my age I find that a lot of the "Go Hard" things I did when I was younger are paying me back. Some things I should have held the beer on if you know what I mean.

Anvil Head

Back to OP - Wish I had pics but not something we did back then. My brother and I took our canoe under the 92 bridge/dam from Acworth to 'Toona and back one day. It was the same storm flood that breached the bridge at Bells Ferry Road over Little River.
We had to stay low in the canoe to get through. That was one heavy rain week for sure.

warronl

I was me on my bike riding to one of the ponds around west Cobb / east Paulding Co., there was a old man in Powder Springs that kept Igloo cups full of wigglers on his front porch.. just drop a dollar in the tin can and fish for a week. On occasion Dad would load me, Tinker, all our gear and the trolling motor up and drop us at Lake Luciele at daylight on Sat. morning and pick us up at dark. Dollar each to fish and two dollars to use one of their 16 foot Jon Boats.

Mr. Lovinggood? The house across the tracks from Powder springs Park?

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
Mr. Lovinggood? The house across the tracks from Powder springs Park?
Yep, that's him. A little over a block from the house I grew up in. Prob. cost $50.00 now to buy as many "Big Reds" as he'd charge a buck for back then.
May want to go take a few pics of that house now, the city has bought it and fix'n to tear it down.... more of the "down town beautification".

warronl

Yep, that's him. A little over a block from the house I grew up in. Prob. cost $50.00 now to buy as many "Big Reds" as he'd charge a buck for back then.
May want to go take a few pics of that house now, the city has bought it and fix'n to tear it down.... more of the "down town beautification".
I bought many a box of worms from that man! Between Lake Lucille, Powder Creek, and the lake behind the old Post Office, I pieced together an AWESOME childhood!

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
I bought many a box of worms from that man! Between Lake Lucille, Powder Creek, and the lake behind the old Post Office, I pieced together an AWESOME childhood!
Me and you both. Don't forget fish'n at the "Trussels" where Lucille Creek cut through "Florence Farms".