Satisfied with Hancock?

Are you satisfied hunting Hancock County for Deer?

• Yes

Votes: 12 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

willie1971

saw a lot of deer down there, even a herd one night which i haven't seen in years (first week of november 2021). it seems to be cyclical at least for me. it was the first year i didn't see a shooter buck in over 5 years, but saw many deer and had a nice trip. also didn't hear much shooting nearby, which was a first. i hunt a cousin's property which has zero pressure so that's a plus.

It was a tough year for us. We killed 1 shooter buck this year. The lack of rutting activity was pretty sad. Never seen it this slow in the past 5 years.

Maybe next year will be better.

Going to give it one more try this weekend.

common man

Ive never hunted hancock but just by numbers the county seems pretty consistent on high harvest numbers. I went a few years back and hancock is consistently number 2 in harvest to burke county which has like double the land.

westcobbdog

Hancock = shooting gallery. The other knock is the best food in the whole County may very well be the c-store Golden Pantry in Sparta which makes good fried chicken.

FootLongDawg

Hancock = shooting gallery. The other knock is the best food in the whole County may very well be the c-store Golden Pantry in Sparta which makes good fried chicken.

WCD....What part of the county you in? I mainly hunt over near Jewel and I rarely hear much shooting after opening weekend. I have a smaller tract over near Devereux and it's pretty much silent too. You are right about the food there. Awful. I play golf a lot in Milledgeville and Sandersville, so at least there are a few good spots there plus a great Kroger.

Hunters shot the crap out of the does on Saturday thats for sure. It sounded like a war zone in my area.

Seems strange that the adjusted buck harvest that I posted last Wednesday still has not changed even though there have been a lot of bucks killed since then??? The number of does has changed though....

Capture.JPG

westcobbdog

WCD....What part of the county you in? I mainly hunt over near Jewel and I rarely hear much shooting after opening weekend. I have a smaller tract over near Devereux and it's pretty much silent too. You are right about the food there. Awful. I play golf a lot in Milledgeville and Sandersville, so at least there are a few good spots there plus a great Kroger.[/QUOTE
Between Sparta and Linton

Ace1313

The part of Hancock I hunted this fall was actually the best that I have ever seen it. I saw a lot of deer on my three day hunt and a couple decent 2.5 year deer. I think the fact the timber harvest and the fact there is much more bedding and food cover in the area has helped improved the numbers in the area. The guys I have hunted with claim they have heard a lot less shooting and less people hunting the last 5 years in the area. They have hunted there for 20+ years

willie1971

The part of Hancock I hunted this fall was actually the best that I have ever seen it. I saw a lot of deer on my three day hunt and a couple decent 2.5 year deer. I think the fact the timber harvest and the fact there is much more bedding and food cover in the area has helped improved the numbers in the area. The guys I have hunted with claim they have heard a lot less shooting and less people hunting the last 5 years in the area. They have hunted there for 20+ years

Similar experience. Timbering is the only non-government industry in the county. Where do you hunt? I hunt near Shoulderbone

Ace1313

I hunted in Powellton with my good friends. I have hunted that area a good bit over the years. I have since moved south and this was my first hunt back there in awhile.

The mtn man

This was our worse year since getting out lease in 2011. There were a good many deer seen, we just didn't have the racked bucks like normal, I'm gonna blame it on the fact that half our lease is bare dirt after it was recently cut, then the rest of the timber that had been thinned got a heavy spray job. And we have new neighbors that got some permission to hunt a thick 30 acres that border us, it has always been a sanctuary, its too thick to hunt, so they hunt the property line. Found deer on our property near theirs with hams and loins cut out, illegal bucks too. We are keeping an eye on them.