Which .22 wmr

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Does anyone have an opinion on which, between the tmj and fmj, would be best, rounding between penetration and expansion? I'm still scrathcing my head, on this one.
Do you have any 22 mag shells now and can your rifle hit a 1 1/2 circle at 50 ty yards.

cohutta joe

No, I don't yet even have a 22 mag, just trying to plan ahead, in case the rules for furbearer on wma have actually changed, and get enforced, in my region, next year (according to local dnr, nothing has changed, in my region, this year; the local dnr is saying we can still hunt with centerfire, on our local wma, during fox and bobcat). I do think the big-wigs meant to change the rules, after reading the proposal, because of small game hunters not being required to wear orange, during fox and bobcat. But they didn't make it clear in the regs, and evidently not to dnr, either, so it's not being enforced, yet, on the wma I hunt. It would have been so much simpler to have changed the orange rule, rather than the weapon. Anyway, I expect it to be enforced, here, by next season (because of all the hype), so I plan on getting a 22 mag by the middle of August, and am actually looking forward to expanding my hog hunt to 6 months out of the year. I chose the 22 mag over a muzzleloader because of cost per shot (40 cents vs 3 bucks). That's a big difference, to me, for zeroing a new gun, target practing and keeping the scope in check. I am just wondering which, between the tmj and fmj, is best rounded for hog hunting, between penetration and expansion.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I stated before. Any round will do the trick. Most hogs are around 100 pds. Some 150. I have not had any problem killing them with what round I could find. I like the v-mags. Ishoot 40 gr hollow point. They do just fine. I shoot 50 gr hollow points.solids are a good round. They do go deeper and hold together. They do just fine. On a 200 pd boar ? up side the head at 50 yds it rolls over. Can’t hit the shield on shoulder but just behind it. Well he will go down.
100 pd pigs are the normal target. Good scope and any 22 mag your rifle shoots good will work. Just got to hit the target ?
I have a savage stainless bolt action. 3x9 hawke scope. It shoots what ever I can find ! There’s times just lately 22nags are hard to find.
22 mag is a very good rifle. They are deadly.

cohutta joe

I stated before. Any round will do the trick. Most hogs are around 100 pds. Some 150. I have not had any problem killing them with what round I could find. I like the v-mags. Ishoot 40 gr hollow point. They do just fine. I shoot 50 gr hollow points.solids are a good round. They do go deeper and hold together. They do just fine. On a 200 pd boar ? up side the head at 50 yds it rolls over. Can’t hit the shield on shoulder but just behind it. Well he will go down.
100 pd pigs are the normal target. Good scope and any 22 mag your rifle shoots good will work. Just got to hit the target ?
I have a savage stainless bolt action. 3x9 hawke scope. It shoots what ever I can find ! There’s times just lately 22nags are hard to find.
22 mag is a very good rifle. They are deadly.

Thanks for the response, I missed your comment on even hollow points, but it does give me more confidence in the 22 mag. I am planning on the Savage 93 F with 3-9x40 Bushnell, and my range, where I hunt, is pretty short. So I'm just going to stop worrying about ammo, and look forward to the hunt. Yup, any ammo is hard to find, right now. I'm using Monarch 150 grain in my 308, right now, because it's all I could find, but they seem to shoot just fine. I've hoarded 2 boxes of 9mm forever; don't dare shoot it just for fun. And I've booked mark a few 40 grain 22 mag sales that are currently out of stock, and keeping an eye on them. Ordering online is usually more expensive than going to Academy, but you do what you have to. Last year I could not find #6 or #4 20 gauge shells anywhere, and ended up ordering several boxes from Federal. I paid dearly for them, but I still have 20 gauge shells. ;)

bany

I was reading about TMJ and FMJ and the article suggested barely a difference. It’s mostly a lead exposure thing. TMJ completely covers the lead so it’s “safer“ to the shooter. Possibility it won’t ball as well but unlikely.
I’d suggest not shooting a larger pig in the forehead nor shield.

cohutta joe

I was reading about TMJ and FMJ and the article suggested barely a difference. It’s mostly a lead exposure thing. TMJ completely covers the lead so it’s “safer“ to the shooter. Possibility it won’t ball as well but unlikely.
I’d suggest not shooting a larger pig in the forehead nor shield.

I just started hog hunting 2 years ago, and have only gotten 1, so far, 2020. It was probably around 100 pounds, and me and my partner played **** getting it back to my jeep. Since then I have learned about the gutless method, and plan to just take backstraps and hams out of the woods, in a backpack, from now on. That being said, I hope I never get anxious enough to shoot a pig over about 70 pounds, anymore, lol.

Guitar Guy

As many have pointed out, the regs are still unclear regarding the use of centerfire rifles on hogs. However, I have taken it as a welcome opportunity to buy my first 22 mag rifle. I have hunted hogs a couple of times on WMA land this year, and while I haven't been lucky enough to come across any, I sure do like how much lighter my 22 mag rifle is vs. my 30-06. On top of that, I like the challenge of taking clean shots and I love that my Savage A22 mag is a 10 round semi auto that gives me the option of quick follow up shots and slinging lead at multiple pigs. Try that with a 30-06 bolt gun.

A properly sighted in 22 mag rifle is like a laser beam at 50 yards, and even at 100 yards, bullet drop is usually between 1-2 inches - easy to compensate by holding a little high. I haven't used it on pigs yet, but so far, I think that the 22 mag is a great woods gun.

Personally if restricted to just rimfire outside of hog trap distance I would take a long hard look at the old 5mm magnum. It bests the WMR in both velocity and ft/lbs.
Problem is it only has a couple long out of print rifles and very limited supplies of ammo.
I don't know why this one wasn't brought back when the 17 rimfires got hot. JMO, but ruger missed a deal by not bringing it back as a companion to their 204.
But it being a remington product it was screwed from the get.

Or starting from scratch I think a rimfire using the nail gun blank of the 17 super mag necked up to take a 40-45 grain 20 caliber would be the best option yet for rimfire only pigs or large varmints.

cohutta joe

As many have pointed out, the regs are still unclear regarding the use of centerfire rifles on hogs. However, I have taken it as a welcome opportunity to buy my first 22 mag rifle. I have hunted hogs a couple of times on WMA land this year, and while I haven't been lucky enough to come across any, I sure do like how much lighter my 22 mag rifle is vs. my 30-06. On top of that, I like the challenge of taking clean shots and I love that my Savage A22 mag is a 10 round semi auto that gives me the option of quick follow up shots and slinging lead at multiple pigs. Try that with a 30-06 bolt gun.

A properly sighted in 22 mag rifle is like a laser beam at 50 yards, and even at 100 yards, bullet drop is usually between 1-2 inches - easy to compensate by holding a little high. I haven't used it on pigs yet, but so far, I think that the 22 mag is a great woods gun.

That's the way I'm looking at it too. I haven't gotten a 22 mag yet, but will have by August 16, and am looking forward to expanding my hunt to 6 consecutive months, next season.

RamblinWreck88

Useles Billy ain’t got nothing on ME !
Not trying to argue, but for me there is no confusion. The regs clearly say that during small game hunts and dates, centerfire rifles are not allowed, which aligns with the comments in the proposed rule changes before they changed it if you look that far back. I look at the WMA's I hunt and I see small game dates active from now until they go out. Small game dates are active = no centerfires. End of the story. This is confusing to some, and could admittedly be a lot more clear. Heck, it may not be enforced, and may not even be clear to the game wardens, but I can't see it any other way, so that's what I'm going with. However, what y'all decide to do ain'tnone of my business, as I suspect you are all sensible enough to avoid the added danger than the DNR was worried about when they changed the rules.

NONETHELESS, I will add that I am in favor of a muzzleloader over 22 magnum for this opportunity, as I can also use a muzzleloader during turkey season, which I cannot do with a 22 mag. That being said, I still want a 22 mag...

sleepr71

A 22 Mag rifle,with either HP,or FMJ will kill a hog out to 75-100yds. I’d stick to the FMJ Ammo personally,for added penetration. The key is making accurate shots & stick to shooting them just in front of the ear,or just behind the shoulder(quartering away). Also,Do NOT bother with Winchester Dynapoint Ammo…it is the WEAKEST 22 mag Ammo out,at only 1450FPS.? I think a lightweight 22 mag rifle would be a lot easier to carry for miles while on a WMA also?

cohutta joe

Not trying to argue, but for me there is no confusion. The regs clearly say that during small game hunts and dates, centerfire rifles are not allowed, which aligns with the comments in the proposed rule changes before they changed it if you look that far back. I look at the WMA's I hunt and I see small game dates active from now until they go out. Small game dates are active = no centerfires. End of the story. This is confusing to some, and could admittedly be a lot more clear. Heck, it may not be enforced, and may not even be clear to the game wardens, but I can't see it any other way, so that's what I'm going with. However, what y'all decide to do ain'tnone of my business, as I suspect you are all sensible enough to avoid the added danger than the DNR was worried about when they changed the rules.

NONETHELESS, I will add that I am in favor of a muzzleloader over 22 magnum for this opportunity, as I can also use a muzzleloader during turkey season, which I cannot do with a 22 mag. That being said, I still want a 22 mag...

I know where you are coming from, and I do believe the regs did change. The argument is that Fox and Bobcat (furbearer) is a stand alone season inside the small game season (Aug 16-Feb 28), the same as big game season is (which also falls within the 6 month long small game season), and that if no centerfire was allowed during the entire small game season, it would mean big game as well as fox and bobcat, which we all know is not true, since you can’t use rimfire to hunt big game. That’s the way a lot of hog hunters are looking at it, and, at least at the beginning of this season, so were game wardens in my region. So, in that argument, there is nothing on page 42 that separates fox and bobcat from small game season (it actually says small game, alligator, falconry, which does seem to separate those 3, but last year, on page 43, it said it said small game, furbearer, falconry, which did seem to separate fox and bobcat ), and it doesn’t even mention fox and bobcat or furbearer this year, so it does not apply, the same as it does not separate and apply to big game season. But the problem with that argument goes back to page 33, in both last year and this year, which does in fact list bobcat and fox under small game, that does prove that it’s a small game hunt . Take that knowledge back to page 42 of this year, where it says during small game, no centerfires are allowed , and it’s now illegal to hunt fox and bobcat with centerfire. Still, the problem with that is that this year does not even mention mention furbearer (or fox and bocat) on page 42, where last year, on page 43, it did, and only said no centerfire at night. So, as for trying to get rid of the loophole, they blundered, drastically, in the new regs book, and that blunder is being taken advantage of. I first got wind of this change on a facebook hunting group, where the argument caused a lot of people to either leave or get kicked out… including me. I called my local dnr and the woman who answered the phone said she knew of no changes, and could not readily find any change in the new regs, but took my number and had an active duty warden call me back, who assured me there were no changes to fox and bobcat season, told me I could keep hunting with my 308, and wished me luck. A good friend who I know would not lie about this said he asked a different warden and was told the same thing. And I know of 5 hogs that were killed on my local wma in the past 3 weeks with centerfire, because they are telling us we still can. So the big-wigs failed to make it plain and inform their employees. I have actually went out with my 308 twice, during the start of fox and bobcat, this year, after being told by I warden I could (saved his name and number in my phone, in case), but did not see anything or shoot. But I have stopped, after studying the book harder, and am waiting for coyote season, this year, and will have a legal weapon by next small game season. The fact is the regs did change, but they blundered, terribly, in making it clear. To begin with, they should have listed it in major changes, near the front of the regs, but failed to do so. Changes in laws like this need to be more clear. It was a major change. Just Joe.

ucfireman

It would have been so much simpler to have changed the orange rule, rather than the weapon.
Agree if the thought is its dangerous to be in the woods with centerfire weapons and no orange, just make all small game require orange. It doesn't weigh much and most folks wear a vest anyway so what's wrong with it being orange. Heck as many squirrels you see during deer season and the orange doesn't bother them then I don't think it would be that big an issue. Maybe just make turkey and waterfowl the only times orange is not required.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
Wore my orange just the other day hog hunting. Killed 2 on private land. It just happen to be on my jacket and I didn’t worry about it.

cohutta joe

Agree if the thought is its dangerous to be in the woods with centerfire weapons and no orange, just make all small game require orange. It doesn't weigh much and most folks wear a vest anyway so what's wrong with it being orange. Heck as many squirrels you see during deer season and the orange doesn't bother them then I don't think it would be that big an issue. Maybe just make turkey and waterfowl the only times orange is not required.

Right. If given the choice, I'd choose orange over no centerfire, for hogs, everyday.

RamblinWreck88

Useles Billy ain’t got nothing on ME !
@cohutta joe , I totally see where you're coming from and appreciate the work you've put in to find the truth. I totally agree that it's pretty messed up the way that it was handled and how it is shown in the regs. I'm playing the safe side and honestly like the excuse to get new gear. Happy hunting, and I hope you get a hog whether or not you use a centerfire.

Davexx1

A good challenge for all is to do a post-mortem examination (necropsy) on all hogs shot/killed with a 22 mag with details of the brand and type of cartridge & bullet, size, weight of the hog, shot distance & angle, point of impact, depth of penetration, etc. and importantly include a picture of any recovered bullet and description of the terminal damage. That information from many hunters over time may help clear up the "best bullet" issue (or not).

Dave

Heath

Having killed a couple hundred from point blank out to 75 yards with a .22 mag. If you want solid penetration without expansion 50g federal hollow points have given consistent performance because of their relatively slow speed. That is with only soft tissue contact. They will not expand. I’ve dug them out of a bunch of hogs where they could be reloaded and shot again if I could reload rimfire. I’ve always liked FMJ CCI’s because they go bang every time and they are about 200 fps faster than the hollow point federals. I never noticed a difference in Game point vs. FMJ. They look the same if I dig them out. Lots of jacket separation but they penetrate plenty far enough if not entirely through.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I liked the V max, Remington. Hornady s got one, any CCI round bout is good. The only thing bad I’d say were the Winchester. That’s cause I had a few casings crack and I had to dig them out….come by and I’ll give you the rest. I have shot several Aguilar rounds in .22 Lr and wouldn’t hesitate to buy more. Just look at the load. I’d prefer fast, but to each his own.