Ossawbaw hog hunt

shootemall

Went on the Ossawbaw quota hunt for hogs. Great time. I killed my first hog ever Thursday evening, and my 14 y.o. son hadn't. We were going home Saturday morning, and I was looking for a new spot for the Friday evening hunt knowing it would be our last hunt before leaving, and I had seen 3 live pigs, and he hadn't seen a single living hog the whole time.

Another hunter offered to take us to a spot where he had already killed one. He wanted a boar, and had waited five years to get drawn for this, but he wanted to see my son kill something even more. He took us out, and we saw about nine. My son ended up shooting a sow that was about four times the size of my pig. I am grateful for that other hunter's selflessness, as I am not a good hog hunter.

Mine was about 30 lbs whole (black and white), my son's was 90 lbs dressed (black). I liked how the hair fluffed up on the ride home, so I'm attaching the tailgate shot of his.

Finally, my Filipino inlaws are burning the hair off so they can roast it whole. They were super excited, plus it saved me the time of skinning it.

Attachments

• 20220122_161944.jpg
    20220122_161944.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 40
  • 20220121_172251.jpg
    20220121_172251.jpg
    301.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 20220120_184132.jpg
    20220120_184132.jpg
    293.6 KB · Views: 39

HogKillaDNR

Awesome

eavega

Great Job!
Question for your Filipino inlaws; does burning the hair not leave a burnt hair taste to the hog? I ask because one of my favorite thing to do with a smaller hog is to roast it whole in my Cuban outdoor oven (La Caja China). Last hog I had I scalded and shaved, and that was a pain in the keister. Burning would be much easier, and my understanding of how the outdoor oven works you need to leave the skin on the pig so that it stays moist. If burning is an option, I'd totally do it!

shootemall

Great Job!
Question for your Filipino inlaws; does burning the hair not leave a burnt hair taste to the hog? I ask because one of my favorite thing to do with a smaller hog is to roast it whole in my Cuban outdoor oven (La Caja China). Last hog I had I scalded and shaved, and that was a pain in the keister. Burning would be much easier, and my understanding of how the outdoor oven works you need to leave the skin on the pig so that it stays moist. If burning is an option, I'd totally do it!

I tried to upload the short video of them doing it. It was in a format not recognized by this forum. It was cool. They used a blow torch and scraped with a knife.

Hillbilly stalker

I'm glad yall had a great hunt. It really great that there are some good guys out there that will help a fellow out. Those are some fine eating size hogs right there. Congratulations to you and your son(y).

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Sounds like a great hunt ! Congrats to you both and this world needs more hunters like your new friend !

eavega

I tried to upload the short video of them doing it. It was in a format not recognized by this forum. It was cool. They used a blow torch and scraped with a knife.
Okay, I think the solution here is for you to invite me over to your in-law's house when you all roast that hog so I can determine if the burnt hair smell translates to an off-flavor on the meat :D:D:D

bany

Great hunt for y’all!
That’s appreciating hunting right there. I don’t think there’s much better than getting kids or new hunters on game!

trial&error

After burning you can scrape or scrub it down with course salt and rinse. Lots of videos online for it.
I was supposed to be there, but my FIL had a heart procedure so I couldn't attend.
Certainly glad you had a good hunt, hate I missed it.