380 FMJ hitting feed ramp

GunnSmokeer

So, my Kel-Tec P3AT has never jammed with full metal jacket ammo, and that's what I carry for defense. I shoot it often and always have fresh ammo in it.
90 to 100 grain FMJ, depending on what's on sale. For The last 2 years it's been on a steady diet of 100 grain FMJ, and I've got a pretty good stash of that.

Recently I unloaded the firearm for cleaning and extracted the one remaining cartridge from the chamber. I noticed it had a dent in the bullet a little bit below the tip of its nose exactly matching the contour of the bottom of the feed ramp built into my pistol's barrel.

Yes, it did make it up into the chamber and the cartridge fully seated and would have fired, but I'm concerned that it hit so low on the feed ramp and that the sharp bottom edge of the feed ramp chopped into the copper jacket.

Is there anything I can do to alleviate this potential problem? Of course I thought about polishing the feed ramp but it doesn't seem that friction on the main middle area of the feed ramp is the issue. The sticking point is at the very bottom edge of the feed ramp -- where it ends.

Suggestions?

(Other than to buy a Kimber, a SiG, or some other high dollar gun?)

2024502E-0C67-4C1A-AECE-CA8B70E981FC.jpeg6C1C776E-E475-4CF0-9F7A-8FB812385C74.jpeg

rosewood

Sounds like the round is diving when the slide is pushing it forward. May be the magazine isn't holding the nose of the round high enough? Weak mag spring? Mag feed lips not at exact angle? Another mag may alleviate the problem. Other thing could be friction. If the feed lips are rough, when the slide hits the back of the round to strip it, the round may nose dive because it is grabbing the mag lips. You can try polishing the underside of the mag lips (where the round slides) also could polish your rounds in the tumbler with Nu-Finish or the like to slicken up the brass.

I recently had an issue with a gun where one mag fired perfect and the other one was driving the rounds into the feed ramp. I haven't done any work on the suspect mag yet, but it is on my to do list, just went with the one that is working perfect for now.

Rosewood

rosewood

It could never hurt to polish that feed ramp. I typically put a mirror finish on mine. Helps the rounds to scoot on in there in a hurry. 1000 & 2000 grit paper is usually just the ticket.

Bullochcountyhunter

I would start by polishing the feed ramp. I've owned two p3at's and done it to both of them after having similar issues as you. On a side note, why the choice for fmj for defense carry? Just interested, not trying to bash or anything. Do hollow points have similar issues as the fmj? After a good polishing, mine would feed anything I threw at it.

Hillbilly stalker

Every Kel-Tec I’ve owned or shot had trouble feeding hollow points or special self defense rounds. I know a lot of guys that carried them, they were very popular before Ruger and Taurus got started in the pocket pistol game. We polished every feed ramp with a DreMel and polished in the same direction ( up and down) that the bullet fed. That cured them. A Russian Makirov has the same problem. I would try a different magazine because it sounds like your spring is weak. If a new mag fixes it….you can then order a new sporing. I always carry a extra mag in my weak side pocket anyway.

rosewood

They are pricey, but I have been researching the Lehigh Defense bullets. They really up the effectiveness of the .380. I have been using hornady critical defense in my LCP, but may swap to the Lehigh after some testing.

Rosewood

Shotgun1

I have carried a keltec P3aT daily since they came out. SN011XX. What you are seeing is known as a "Smiley". It happens when the slide and barrel come "out of battery" on recoil. The barrel drops down enough for the feed ramp to hit the top round in the magazine and leaves the "Smiley". Only a problem if it is driving the bullet back into the case. Could happen on a cartridge with an improper crimp. If your gun is functioning properly it never hurts to polish the feed ramp. Polish the ramp,clean and lube and have fun. Shotgun1

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
If polishing with extremely fine grit sand paper makes you nervous, try using jewelers rouge or some of the extra, extra fine valve grinding compound with a soft polishing disc on a rotary tool at low speed.

trial&error

Polishing the ramp won't fix what I'm seeing. It appears to be hitting the very bottom of the feed ramp to cause the dents shown. Either a mag issue or ammo issue further investigation is required.

Shotgun1

You are right. Polishing the feed ramp will not affect what you are seeing. If you put the P3AT together without the recoil spring and slowly operate by hand you will see the feed ramp contact the top cartridge before the slide is fully to the rear. The slide continues to the rear and the cartridge pops up into position for the slide to push it forward into the chamber. This is normally not a problem. If this is a problem google P3AT forum and you will find much discussion on this. Some have done what they call a rampectomy which involves removing a bit of metal from the very bottom of the feed ramp. I have not done this and do not reccomend it one way or the other. Just pointing out a possible fix for the "smiley". I doubt this is a magazine problem because the ramp contacts the bullet before the cartridge is fully to the top of the magazine.

Shotgun1

Smokeer,take a look at 1bad69.com/keltecsmiley/htm and you will have a better look at what is happening in your P3AT.

Steve762us

If it still feeds & fires, "it ain't broke", and you know the rest of that.

If she's getting iffy on cycling, might be time for some new recoil & mag springs from
Keltec, or Wolff.

Jdmb123

I’ve sent my p3at to kel TEC twice now. They send it back cycling. It’s Very picky I guess coupled with being cheap