Four days at Varner (lots of pics and video)

Randall

I fished three days last week at Varner with Woody's regulars Benito, Brine, and Dennis. We caught fish on the High Power Herring and shad swimbaits, tubes, worms, big spooks and Lunker Punkers, and various other swimbaits. The photos are just some of the fish we caught since sometimes we were in a rush and we also got over twenty swimbait fish on video. Went out Saturday with two more guys (not sure of thier screen names here) and the fishing had slowed some with a tournament going on that only took 16 pounds to win. We probably had around 13 pounds on the swimbait and worms.

Attachments

• varner sept 2.jpg
    varner sept 2.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 795
  • varner sept 3.jpg
    varner sept 3.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 794
  • varner sept 006.jpg
    varner sept 006.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 785
  • varner sept 005.jpg
    varner sept 005.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 797
  • varner sept 009.jpg
    varner sept 009.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 800

Randall

A few more.

Attachments

• Varner with Brine 005.jpg
    Varner with Brine 005.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 798
  • Varner with Brine 004.jpg
    Varner with Brine 004.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 777
  • Varner with Brine 003.jpg
    Varner with Brine 003.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 786
  • Varner with Brine 002.jpg
    Varner with Brine 002.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 779
  • Varner with Brine 001.jpg
    Varner with Brine 001.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 787

Randall

Some More.

Attachments

• 61320_1450973039951_1402001839_31242804_7452273_n.jpg
    61320_1450973039951_1402001839_31242804_7452273_n.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 783
  • 59952_1450971879922_1402001839_31242797_7745579_n.jpg
    59952_1450971879922_1402001839_31242797_7745579_n.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 789
  • Varner with Brine 018.jpg
    Varner with Brine 018.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 781
  • Varner with Brine 016.jpg
    Varner with Brine 016.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 794
  • Varner with Brine 015.jpg
    Varner with Brine 015.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 789

Randall

One more time and I will have to add the video later.

Attachments

• 61320_1450972919948_1402001839_31242801_8130941_n.jpg
    61320_1450972919948_1402001839_31242801_8130941_n.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 784
  • 61320_1450973079952_1402001839_31242805_2981971_n.jpg
    61320_1450973079952_1402001839_31242805_2981971_n.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 783
  • 61320_1450973119953_1402001839_31242806_2036664_n.jpg
    61320_1450973119953_1402001839_31242806_2036664_n.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 786
  • 63856_1450972199930_1402001839_31242798_1709569_n.jpg
    63856_1450972199930_1402001839_31242798_1709569_n.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 769
  • 63856_1450972279932_1402001839_31242800_8540_n.jpg
    63856_1450972279932_1402001839_31242800_8540_n.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 776

Cletus T.

HOT DOG……looks like the water was on fire out there. I talked Brine yesterday and he told me about it and man what a time it sounds like.

I’d love to get in on some of that action before the fish scatter too much!!!

Those hybrids look stout and the largies are solid and a beautiful green! Nice work out there!

Randall

Very nice!!!What were the water temps running???Is the lake still low??
Water was in the low 80's except for early am. Water is down close to 7 feet. The low water is going to make a great frog bite in October if it stays where it is.

Randall

Here is video from fishing with Dennis. We were pulling the fish up from 12 feet where they were suspended. It's a lot of fun because you can often see the fish follow the bait as you reel it slow at the surface and then you have to trigger the strike by making the bait change direction and speeds real fast.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/J8H7FNdWSzY?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/J8H7FNdWSzY?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Randall

Here I am fishing with Brine. I get a follow from a big bass and finally get it to strike right at the boat. Brine's arms are so tired from reeling in fish that he drops the net and the fish gets the camera.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DZ1nD1eKI_I?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DZ1nD1eKI_I?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Randall

Here is Brine's big one. I was calling him the Hybrid King and had the biggest fish until he got this one. He got it off the back side of the boat so I had to grab the camera real quick as well as the net so it's not the best video.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XM4KCSQ6fv8?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XM4KCSQ6fv8?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

djohnson

Man that was a awesome week out there!!! Great times too!! Thanks a million Randall. And NO I can't wait to get my own swimbait!!!!! Thanks for posting the pictures and videos!! First class man!

Brine

Best day of catching I've ever had. Still hurts to think about :D.

I debated on posting to this thread or even talking about the bait as to not stir up some kind of which local bait is better nonsense, so all the :stir: folks....please don't read this as a whose swimbait is better post, it's simply an explanation of the day through my own eyes, and the reason I'm posting is to give credit to the guide and the lure. The success of the day warrants a description.

Randall (while fishing the HPH) had 5 (or more) fish in the boat before I caught fish #1. After fish #3, he asked again if I wanted to use his remaining HPH (in a trout pattern) that he had on board. All I could tell he was doing was reeling the bait in at the surface varying the retrieve speed and action of the bait. In the meantime, I'm throwing a buzzbait, spook, trap, and sebile in the exact same spots. We weren't target casting. Most of the bites were in open water, so it's not that he was cathing fish because he made the right cast. I'm certain, my baits were going over the heads of the same fish that he was catching. At the time, I was being a bit stubborn and kept telling myself "It's not the bait". In the past, when I've seen fish busting the surface around me, I feel like I could throw a bunch of baits to catch those fish, but it wasn't the case that day. After watching Randall reel in yet another fish, I relunctantly tied on his HPH and cast it out. Either the 2nd or 3rd cast produced a fish, and from that point on, it was fish after (later in the day) agonizing fish. The fish didn't just "turn on" at that moment. Randall had been catching them, and like I said, I threw a host of lures at the exact same fish. The HPH caught those fish, not me. I'm certain had I not tied it on, I would have only caught a fraction of those fish. That said, I still caught fish throughout the day on some other baits. One on the spook, a couple on soft plastic swimbaits, but the only reason I even picked up those rods was to simply give my arm a rest, and as soon as I switched back to the HPH, the catching resumed. Pretty pathetic I know, but for a die hard trickworm fisherman, this swimbait stuff requires A LOT more stamina :bounce:.

So, because I can now speak with experience on using the HPH, it's importance in the success of the day is why I post. Is it the best swimbait made? I don't know, but it put a butt whoopin on the Sebile at Varner, and my Spro BBZ won't ever get used again so long as I've got a HPH in the box (which I intend). Is it a "top quality" bait? I don't know because I don't know how that's judged on a swimbait, but throughout the day, I never had to tune the bait, it casts a mile, no paint went missing from when I first tied it on, and I didn't lose any fish that bit it. Could I have used numerous other baits in it's place with the same success? Not that I currently own, as witnessed that day. To clarify.... Yes, we caught some fish throughout the day on other baits, but none with the same success as the HPH.

Prior to that day, I would have never thought I'd be willing to spend $35 on a lure, but it sure does seem like money well spent now. In fact, if I think about the money I've wasted on fishing stuff in the past, it sounds dirt cheap for the results I had. If I could only trade in all the $5 bags of plastics I never use, I could buy several of them :banginghe :bounce:. Do I expect the same results everytime I use the bait? Of course not, but I feel confident that if a fish will bite a swimbait, they will bite this one. Experience now says they will bite this one before others.

Naturally, if you ain't fishin where the fish are, you're just casting, so although the vast majority of this post was about a lure, the guide deserves an equal share of credit for putting us on the fish in the first place, and I'm thankful he had a spare HPH in the boat.

Randall, feel free to use me as a testimonial for your service or the bait. You earned it. I also appreciate you letting me claim that spot on Varner as mine. I'll be posting a "No Trespassing" sign on the bank soon with rope and buoys, and I'm sure everyone will honor it. If you'd like to take future clients there, you have my permission so long as you make way when you see me coming. :rofl:

static metal

Best day of catching I've ever had. Still hurts to think about :D.

I debated on posting to this thread or even talking about the bait as to not stir up some kind of which local bait is better nonsense, so all the :stir: folks....please don't read this as a whose swimbait is better post, it's simply an explanation of the day through my own eyes, and the reason I'm posting is to give credit to the guide and the lure. The success of the day warrants a description.

Randall (while fishing the HPH) had 5 (or more) fish in the boat before I caught fish #1. After fish #3, he asked again if I wanted to use his remaining HPH (in a trout pattern) that he had on board. All I could tell he was doing was reeling the bait in at the surface varying the retrieve speed and action of the bait. In the meantime, I'm throwing a buzzbait, spook, trap, and sebile in the exact same spots. We weren't target casting. Most of the bites were in open water, so it's not that he was cathing fish because he made the right cast. I'm certain, my baits were going over the heads of the same fish that he was catching. At the time, I was being a bit stubborn and kept telling myself "It's not the bait". In the past, when I've seen fish busting the surface around me, I feel like I could throw a bunch of baits to catch those fish, but it wasn't the case that day. After watching Randall reel in yet another fish, I relunctantly tied on his HPH and cast it out. Either the 2nd or 3rd cast produced a fish, and from that point on, it was fish after (later in the day) agonizing fish. The fish didn't just "turn on" at that moment. Randall had been catching them, and like I said, I threw a host of lures at the exact same fish. The HPH caught those fish, not me. I'm certain had I not tied it on, I would have only caught a fraction of those fish. That said, I still caught fish throughout the day on some other baits. One on the spook, a couple on soft plastic swimbaits, but the only reason I even picked up those rods was to simply give my arm a rest, and as soon as I switched back to the HPH, the catching resumed. Pretty pathetic I know, but for a die hard trickworm fisherman, this swimbait stuff requires A LOT more stamina :bounce:.

So, because I can now speak with experience on using the HPH, it's importance in the success of the day is why I post. Is it the best swimbait made? I don't know, but it put a butt whoopin on the Sebile at Varner, and my Spro BBZ won't ever get used again so long as I've got a HPH in the box (which I intend). Is it a "top quality" bait? I don't know because I don't know how that's judged on a swimbait, but throughout the day, I never had to tune the bait, it casts a mile, no paint went missing from when I first tied it on, and I didn't lose any fish that bit it. Could I have used numerous other baits in it's place with the same success? Not that I currently own, as witnessed that day. To clarify.... Yes, we caught some fish throughout the day on other baits, but none with the same success as the HPH.

Prior to that day, I would have never thought I'd be willing to spend $35 on a lure, but it sure does seem like money well spent now. In fact, if I think about the money I've wasted on fishing stuff in the past, it sounds dirt cheap for the results I had. If I could only trade in all the $5 bags of plastics I never use, I could buy several of them :banginghe :bounce:. Do I expect the same results everytime I use the bait? Of course not, but I feel confident that if a fish will bite a swimbait, they will bite this one. Experience now says they will bite this one before others.

Naturally, if you ain't fishin where the fish are, you're just casting, so although the vast majority of this post was about a lure, the guide deserves an equal share of credit for putting us on the fish in the first place, and I'm thankful he had a spare HPH in the boat.

Randall, feel free to use me as a testimonial for your service or the bait. You earned it. I also appreciate you letting me claim that spot on Varner as mine. I'll be posting a "No Trespassing" sign on the bank soon with rope and buoys, and I'm sure everyone will honor it. If you'd like to take future clients there, you have my permission so long as you make way when you see me coming. :rofl:

This is a great, honest and candid review of the HPH, thanks for your time in sharing. good stuff

Randall

Thanks for the comments and for the review. Brine, I know that took some time to type. I appreciate it.