“Natural” dirt holes

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Throwback are you having and luck ? I pulled all my traps , either waiting til I get some on trail cams or see a lot of tracks , hopefully when it cools off some

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Throwback are you having and luck ? I pulled all my traps , either waiting til I get some on trail cams or see a lot of tracks , hopefully when it cools off some
Not trapping any. Just caught a beaver this summer for my dad that’s all I’m fooling with for now. This winter I’m going to try and catch a mink and a weasel. That’s my only goals. Because Of some medical issues I don’t think I can really coyote trap much. Too much heavy work. Setting a few beaver traps like to have killed me

I’m already picking out where my sets are going
I may keep one set open right here at the house all season long so I can say I trapped them entire season

Last edited:

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
I sure would like to know if we have mink around here ??

Sure do. I got a road kill one once in downtown Woodbury a few years ago. It was summertime though.
Saw one or two on 27 on both sides of flat shoals creek.
Nig Thompson trapped some chicken killers at his place a few years ago

My old work buddy that is also retired has seen multiple ones in the river below West Point dam while in a boat.

I have a road killed weasel in the freezer unless my wife threw it away. It was killed about a half mile from my house on my road a few years ago.

They’re here just not seen often.

Lukikus2

A trapper back in the 80's told me the mink went rural. And they and the muskrats did also. It wasn't surprising because we started catching all of our bait in those same drainage ditches.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I sure would like to know if we have mink around here ??
Mink range through the whole state of GA and the surrounding states. There are plenty of them here in western NC. They are pretty common in most places with suitable habitat, but you just don't see them often unless you trap for them or do a lot of trout fishing. I see them pretty regular along trout streams.

mink3.jpg

DSGB

I've seen several mink while walking along the riverwalk in downtown Columbus/Phenix City.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I caught a few mink in Wheeler County back in the day. I`ve seen a couple of weasels, never caught one.

Caught mink and muskrat in N. Ga. in my high school and college years. I've see mink killed on the road in Tift and Calhoun counties but have never caught one down here. Never have set for one down here. I've only caught one weasel and that was in Worth County about 1981. He made it very clear if I would be so kind as to release both of his frontlegs and shoulders from that Victor 1 1/2 single longspring, he would gladly whip my backside and walk away. If I had been so foolish, I believe he would have succeeded.

treemanjohn

Banned
I have mink that live in the creek at my home. I see them right at sunset or early morning. I've seen them run up my corrugated pipe chasing chipmunks and then seconds later I can hear it giving its death squeal. They also killed a muskrat family that I had. They're interesting but voracious killers

buckpasser

I’ve posted this before, but I’ll throw it out there again. Around 2002 or so I saw a funny looking critter bouncing down the edge of a green cotton field in Brooks county. It was on Dry Lake Rd. The field bordered a small swampy strand. Anyway, it was about house cat sized, certainly in the weasel family, reddish brown in color, but long legged/tall compared to an otter. I looked it up at the time and believe it was a Fisher. I realize this is not part of their accepted range. Thoughts?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I’ve posted this before, but I’ll throw it out there again. Around 2002 or so I saw a funny looking critter bouncing down the edge of a green cotton field in Brooks county. It was on Dry Lake Rd. The field bordered a small swampy strand. Anyway, it was about house cat sized, certainly in the weasel family, reddish brown in color, but long legged/tall compared to an otter. I looked it up at the time and believe it was a Fisher. I realize this is not part of their accepted range. Thoughts?
I would say a fisher was the last thing on earth it was. We don't even have any now in the highest elevations of the Smokies in the spruce-fir forest, which used to be the southern limit of their range before the industrial logging in the early 1900s. Probably a mink.

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Probably an otter

buckpasser

I would say a fisher was the last thing on earth it was. We don't even have any now in the highest elevations of the Smokies in the spruce-fir forest, which used to be the southern limit of their range before the industrial logging in the early 1900s. Probably a mink.
Probably an otter

I’m no expert, but I can promise you both it was not an otter or mink. It looked too big and much too long legged to be either suggestion.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
I’m no expert, but I can promise you both it was not an otter or mink. It looked too big and much too long legged to be either suggestion.

Reckon it might have been a jaguarundi?

Latest posts