07 F150 Stalling in Reverse

hiawassee1

My son has an 07 F150 XLT 5.4 4wd, issue we are having is running rough and stalling while in reverse. Is this a reverse band or torque converter issue? Anyone experience a similar issue? Any suggestions?

Thanks J.R.

TL60

That is pretty odd.
Id go to Ford Truck Enthusiasts and look in the forums for that year truck. Cant tell you how many times I've found fixes for my '86 F250 and 2001 Ranger there. Just looked over there andthey have 8600 people logged in. If there is no answer on that site, there is no answer. lol

https://www.ford-trucks.com

hiawassee1

Well it has got to the point where it was pretty much running rough all the time, finally threw a code of intake manifold runner control. Mechanic replaced it, said it was worse, threw cam shaft sensors. Replaced the two sensors now throwing another code for different sensors.
We have had all coil packs redone, both vct sensors. Continues to run rough and want to stall out.
Hopefully mechanic can get if figured out

John Cooper

?Now I Got One A Them Banner Things
Well it has got to the point where it was pretty much running rough all the time, finally threw a code of intake manifold runner control. Mechanic replaced it, said it was worse, threw cam shaft sensors. Replaced the two sensors now throwing another code for different sensors.
We have had all coil packs redone, both vct sensors. Continues to run rough and want to stall out.
Hopefully mechanic can get if figured out
I would check the camshaft tensioners and guides also!!!!

hiawassee1

I did forget to add, trucks seems to run better in neutral, noticeable difference when vehicle is put into gear.

QuailJunkie

Look for a vacuum leak. They are quite common. Had to fix several of these on both of my sons trucks. They have the 5.4 as well. I would put money on a vacuum leak

hiawassee1

208,000 mechanic feels it’s not the phasers. I’m almost certain, after research today, it has something to do with the timing. Unfortunately the mechanic up here doesn’t have time for that.

John Cooper

208,000 mechanic feels it’s not the phasers. I’m almost certain, after research today, it has something to do with the timing. Unfortunately the mechanic up here doesn’t have time for that.

If you can find a good FoMoCo mechanic to check it out, at that mileage I just about bet on a complete timing overhaul being needed. Fingers crossed that's not what it is, but my $ are on it. If you decide to repair it, go with genuine FoMoCo parts and use the V10 tensioner because they a steel and not plastic and don't have the seal blowout problem the plastic do.
I wouldn't do the phaser lock outs either as that just mask part of the problem.

bullfrog79

My money is on timing. Fwiw, phasers do affect timing, they advance and retard timing based on input from the pcm, but they require oil pressure to function.

Eudora

Just curious ..... are your using the proper weight oil? I say that because the cam phasers can be very sensitive to the wrong viscosity. Might want to read up on some forums of adding SeaFoam to the oil and run for 20-30 miles before changing oil. May have restricted orifice in cam phaser? Stalling in reverse and rough idle when in gear also makes me think torque converter or other tranny issue too??

bullfrog79

With that mileage, it runs smooth in neutral because there is no load on it. When the pcm sees load and try’s to adjust the timing via the phasers, lack of oil pressure to the phasers causes issues. Phasers are the last thing to get oil in the system. Worn cam journals, blown tensioner gaskets, etc cause pressure loss.

John Cooper

I am still saying timing issues, Phasers, tensioners, guides and chains. Also check cams rockers etc.

Eudora

I know some people are not fans of aftermarket parts, but that is where I have made my living the past 30+ years. One company our agency reps in some parts of the country is Cloyes and from their video library, I found this video that might illustrate what some others above mentioned about worn cams and their journals and how it translates to the proper function of those cam phasers

https://www.cloyes.com/ford-5-4l-timing-chain-replacement-cloyes-9-0391sb/

What happened to the bullet proof 300 6 cyl that were so reliable and easy to diagnose and fix ? Miss those days.

Good luck !

JROESEL

The tritium 5.4 has been a phenomenal motor, my family has several of them from trucks, expeditions, navigators. All of them are up in mileage, my f-150 has over 350k on the motor and still runs just fine, has anyone cleaned the intake manifold??? There are small ports that get clogged over time, I’ve had to clean my truck a couple times, Sam thing as your describing, it has nothing to do with the transmission, take it to a good mechanic, and they will get it fixed, where are you located??

hiawassee1

It’s going in today to a mechanic that previously worked at a Ford dealership, hopefully he can get it figured out.