1/16 Catch Thread

sportsman94

And I think we all envision coyotes walking straight into the set every time. I bet it's rare that actually happens. They probably come in from the sides and behind as much or more as they come straight in.

I agree with that. Especially if it’s a more visual set. It seems via my trail camera that they mostly follow their nose into the set. As much as I like to try to set with the wind in mind, we can’t control it or it’s switches at any given moment. Give me something that causes foot movement so I can place my trap wherever it best fits!

Furmaster

That Briar patch is some fire bait. I’d say probably 75% of my dirt hole sets are baited with Briar Patch… I use some other baits as well, but I catch myself using that more than the others.

sportsman94

My line was dead this morning. Thought it was Christmas Eve since not a creature stirred. Deer were moving good this am though. Maybe tomorrow. Congrats Fatback! You are the possum king!

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Nothing today, started snowing

canine933

C8CD982F-F862-40FC-AE83-30B301F7FB0C.jpegA3100DC4-4C29-40DD-BB43-0221C728ADC2.jpeg
@sportsman94 i did not want you to feel left out and be the only no talent sorry dog of a trapper on here, We can’t all be as good as @Doug B. and @2dye4. I had 5 traps dug at or out today. 4 I think were grey fox and 1 I know was a coyote because he left his footprint in the fresh dirt. I only took pictures of four because i could not see the phone from the tears on the last one.:ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• 51A20602-460C-4C46-8BE4-86DE9F496E80.jpeg
    51A20602-460C-4C46-8BE4-86DE9F496E80.jpeg
    406.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 43FF2145-18E2-4FA9-B9EF-F4C08402C414.jpeg
    43FF2145-18E2-4FA9-B9EF-F4C08402C414.jpeg
    576.1 KB · Views: 11

Doug B.

View attachment 1204518View attachment 1204519
@sportsman94 i did not want you to feel left out and be the only no talent sorry dog of a trapper on here, We can’t all be as good as @Doug B. and @2dye4. I had 5 traps dug at or out today. 4 I think were grey fox and 1 I know was a coyote because he left his footprint in the fresh dirt. I only took pictures of four because i could not see the phone from the tears on the last one.:ROFLMAO:
Wow! That hurts! Sometimes the pain ain't hardly as bad if you can't figure out what really happened. That one though is pretty plain! You think a little wobble in the traps?

I'm glad me and 2dye4 don't have to deal with little piddly stuff like that!!!!
:rofl: :rofl::rofl::rofl:

canine933

Wow! That hurts! Sometimes the pain ain't hardly as bad if you can't figure out what really happened. That one though is pretty plain! You think a little wobble in the traps?

I'm glad me and 2dye4 don't have to deal with little piddly stuff like that!!!!
:rofl: :rofl::rofl::rofl:
The traps were rock solid. Two things that may have caused it I think. #1 I may not have had the trap as deep as I usually do and they felt the part of the trap where the trap jaws are together it sticks up a little higher. #2 I think anytime you introduce a foreign odor like sand, peat moss or other dirt not natural to that area it may trigger a digging response no matter how tight you have the dirt packed. Maybe not by every animal, but that one smart sucker that has the best nose in that area or has been pinched before. I have and will add another trap that I can adjust the pan tension down to 1-1.5 lbs and hopefully when it scratches at it again I will get him. If not I will pull them and move on to a different location.

Last edited:

sportsman94

Lol, I sure am glad to not feel as lonely in the club now @canine933. Wonder what we need to offer to pay to get instruction from the legends you mentioned? May be like ogormans marketing. No ride alongs available if you live within 500 miles of them

sportsman94

As our Grey population continues to decrease I appreciate that I can seemingly get away with more in the form of not bedding quite as well. I’m often reminded when I’m in a grey heavy area how annoying they are as they dig up my traps and work my traps from every direction besides where the trap is. I expect you’ll have everyone of those tomorrow!

canine933

As our Grey population continues to decrease I appreciate that I can seemingly get away with more in the form of not bedding quite as well. I’m often reminded when I’m in a grey heavy area how annoying they :ROFLMAO: are as they dig up my traps and work my traps from every direction besides where the trap is. I expect you’ll have everyone of those tomorrow!
Two of them I won’t because they were within 3 feet of each other and I pulled them. I battled those jokers in that area last year for a week and gave up. I can catch them I’m sure but as you said they have declined in recent years and I really don’t want to target them.

canine933

Lol, I sure am glad to not feel as lonely in the club now @canine933. Wonder what we need to offer to pay to get instruction from the legends you mentioned? May be like ogormans marketing. No ride alongs available if you live within 500 miles of them
I went by @2dye4 to do a ride along and he had mysteriously took the tire off his Polaris and could find it. He knows I can’t walk that far so, I was out of luck. He was laughing when I looked back at him too:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Doug B.

Two of them I won’t because they were within 3 feet of each other and I pulled them. I battled those jokers in that area last year for a week and gave up. I can catch them I’m sure but as you said they have declined in recent years and I really don’t want to target them.
Somebody needs to at least catch some of them and turn them loose! How else am I going to get to see pictures of them? I really like the looks of them greys!!!!

Doug B.

I went by @2dye4 to do a ride along and he had mysteriously took the tire off his Polaris and could find it. He knows I can’t walk that far so, I’m was out of luck. He was laughing when I looked back at him too:ROFLMAO:
:rofl: :rofl::rofl:

I have a pack basket with about three dozen traps in it. You can carry it about a mile for me if you want to do a ride along up here in the mountains. Oh, did I mention, it's uphill both ways!!!!!

canine933

:rofl: :rofl::rofl:

I have a pack basket with about three dozen traps in it. You can carry it about a mile for me if you want to do a ride along up here in the mountains. Oh, did I mention, it's uphill both ways!!!!!
You forgot the $2500 you charge for 6 hours...LOL!!! And you have to bring your own lunch:LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

sportsman94

Morning gents. Only checked 3 of mine so far because I got a call to come home so we can take our sick newborn to the hospital. Everything seems to be ok now, but they are testing for rsv/flu/Covid just in case. One of the first three had a really nice Tom in it. I believe this is the one that pulled out from over 2 miles away on Thursday. You can somewhat see in the picture a patch of fur missing above the toes on the non caught foot. He was caught in the remake of the big coyote from Thursday

28ADFA44-6BE9-46B0-9B38-67A82899F38F.jpeg

Doug B.

Morning gents. Only checked 3 of mine so far because I got a call to come home so we can take our sick newborn to the hospital. Everything seems to be ok now, but they are testing for rsv/flu/Covid just in case. One of the first three had a really nice Tom in it. I believe this is the one that pulled out from over 2 miles away on Thursday. You can somewhat see in the picture a patch of fur missing above the toes on the non caught foot. He was caught in the remake of the big coyote from Thursday

View attachment 1204664
My prayers for the little princess! I hope she feels better soon!!!

Nice catch! Good looking cat!