1 in 7 twist 5.56

trial&error

If your shopping for a barrel 1:8 seems to be more of the sweet spot. I shoot 55gr sp to 80 gr Amax a dime will cover 3 round group with some and touch all 3 with others. And an earlier post is right 80 GR has to be loaded one at a time, too long for mags.

chase870

Possum Sox
Thanks guys I was also wondering about the bullet performance with the BTHP bullets, not necessarily accuracy but expansion, and exit wounds etc. Is their a reason I dont see vmax or other ballistic tips in the heavier bullets

rosewood

Thanks guys I was also wondering about the bullet performance with the BTHP bullets, not necessarily accuracy but expansion, and exit wounds etc. Is their a reason I dont see vmax or other ballistic tips in the heavier bullets
A ballistic tip with heavier bullets makes the bullet longer and becomes more of a seating issue. The 65 SGK is about the heaviest bullet designed for deer I have seen. Most of the rest are good for varmint. Vmax are varmint bullets and you typically go light and fast and the bullets have thin jackets designed to expand violently.

Rosewood

bullethead

Of the hard cast variety

rosewood

They can call it what they want, but it is impossible to over-stabilize a bullet, either it is stabilized or it isn't. How is it possible for anything to be too stable? Unless you want it to wobble.

That terminology is flat out wrong. They can say it is spinning to fast. Now if they are calling the rate of spin, stabilization, then maybe so. I guess they are making up their own definitions to words.

Kind of reminds me the statement "same difference". What the heck does that mean? Same difference is 3-2=1 or 5-4=1. They should be saying "same thing". Many incorrect terms are reused over and over again incorrectly and folks believe it is gospel.

sta·bi·lize
(stā′bə-līz′)
v. sta·bi·lized, sta·bi·liz·ing, sta·bi·liz·es
v.tr.
1. To make stable or steadfast.
2. To maintain the stability of (an airplane or ship, for example) by means of a stabilizer.
3. To keep from fluctuating; fix the level of: stabilize prices.

Rosewood

Jester896

Senior Clown
it requires a certain twist rate to stabilize a bullet and that is in relation to its length...if you spin it faster or slower than it is required...you get a different reaction and that reaction may be it is no longer as stable....no matter which way you go....

from your definition..#3...to keep from fluctuating