#1 Most Important Factor when looking for land?

I’m looking to purchase a new piece of hunting land, minimum 750 acres. Currently reside in NE Atlanta and drive 2 hours to Hunt in Twiggs County but I’m not happy with the deer herd here. Have seen very few good bucks over the years and looking for some new dirt.

If you were looking for a new tract, what would be your #1 Most Important Factor when looking for land?

1. Close to home?
2. Deer population of the area?
3. Size of tract?
4. Merchantable timber?
5. Something else?

And what would be Your #1 County where You would look?

Just for fun let’s not have “Price” be a factor...

Rackmaster

Political Forum Town Crier
I’m looking to purchase a new piece of hunting land, minimum 750 acres. Currently reside in NE Atlanta and drive 2 hours to Hunt in Twiggs County but I’m not happy with the deer herd here. Have seen very few good bucks over the years and looking for some new dirt.

If you were looking for a new tract, what would be your #1 Most Important Factor when looking for land?

1. Close to home?
2. Deer population of the area?
3. Size of tract?
4. Merchantable timber?
5. Something else?

And what would be Your #1 County where You would look?

Just for fun let’s not have “Price” be a factor...
#1 most important factor = WATER
If I was purchasing that much land it would have a huge lake on it.

Reactions: Kev

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I would think any and every 750 acre track around Ga would have water. I would like a agricultural area with the land I get to have a big creek with swamp land with white oak trees. On the hills around this area. I would like to where you could have nice big food plots leaving weeds for cover also. Wouldn’t want it next to any major hi ways but off the beaten roads. Would also like to have a 30 acre pond. Natural spring feed. I would want 60% woods 40 ty fields. Some of the woods would be nice planted pines of varies stages. Guess have the 60%.
At a minimum this place would run 1.5 million. Got to have a little 5 bedroom cabin on it. About 3500 sq ft. Nothing big. Barns also. Would have to have a 80 horse tractor with a condition cab. All the implements !
Dove field area is a must.
Not sure everything would fit on 750. May I suggest a 1000 acre spot.

brownceluse

I would make sure my purchase was in the piedmont region or northern to central coastal plain region. I’d want water, and the best soil I could find.

westcobbdog

Deer get 90% of their water needs met by plants but a water feature would be nice, Location, topo, trees , neighbor, does it have neighborhoods all around it, or just a few?
Away from the airport, and landfill. Genetics too.to name a few.

southernman13

Genetics and good dirt are very important. I know people that have 4K acres w more leased. Money is not a concern. They have good deer but not what you’d think for the money, time and management spent. Very poor soil. Basically it very hard to grow monster bucks. Ag fields and lots of surrounding low hunting pressure land. That’s a good combination and running water We have all is that on 500 acres. We don’t supplemental feed at all basically. We have 140 class and occasionally bigger. Lots and lots of deer. We enjoy our land fosho!

ssramage

If I were buying 750 acres, it would need a little bit of everything. I'd want plenty of quality deer habitat, good populations of deer and turkey, a field that's plantable for doves, and some sort of pond/swamp for fishing and duck hunting. I'd look in either middle GA or SW GA.

Or if deer were my only concern, I'd buy 400 acres in GA to play on and 350 acres in the midwest somewhere.

Bigbendgyrene

Quality of soil, water, and neighbors would be my top 3, but I think I might actually put neighbors at the top. Even if challenging / time consuming you can do things to improve soil or add water (not saying easy, but CAN be done), but you get bad neighbors that's a far tougher nut to crack.

Unless you high fence, though 750 is just about large enough to define a buck's core range you're not going to be able to keep them on your land 24/7. Home ranges will be irregular in shape and thus lap onto neighboring properties, and when rut kicks in you'd need 4,000+ additional acres to cover travel ranges. So long story short, if your neighbors are decent hunters they're going to get shots at deer that spend time on your land as well. If trophy-class bucks are your aim you REALLY need neighbors with the same philosophy. I'm blessed to have such neighbors.

On the flip side, have your acreage butt up against many "It's brown it's down!" hunters and you'll be spending a fair amount of time cussing your misfortune at loss of promising bucks FAR before they reach their potential.

Rackmaster

Political Forum Town Crier
I would think any and every 750 acre track around Ga would have water. I would like a agricultural area with the land I get to have a big creek with swamp land with white oak trees. On the hills around this area. I would like to where you could have nice big food plots leaving weeds for cover also. Wouldn’t want it next to any major hi ways but off the beaten roads. Would also like to have a 30 acre pond. Natural spring feed. I would want 60% woods 40 ty fields. Some of the woods would be nice planted pines of varies stages. Guess have the 60%.
At a minimum this place would run 1.5 million. Got to have a little 5 bedroom cabin on it. About 3500 sq ft. Nothing big. Barns also. Would have to have a 80 horse tractor with a condition cab. All the implements !
Dove field area is a must.
Not sure everything would fit on 750. May I suggest a 1000 acre spot.

That sounds about right to me.