10 mm ammo

sowega hunter

I am thinking about getting a 10mm (if I can find one) for hunting. I am wondering what is the best ammo for hunting deer and hogs? Again if I can find it.
Thanks in advance.

Hooked On Quack

REV`REND DR LUV
No way I'd buy a new caliber gun with no ammo availability, unless you can get a deal on it

munchie3409

When in doubt reload. Underwood makes some great 10mm rounds that are loaded hot.

Finding ammo and reloading components are challenging these days, but it's not impossible if you have items to trade. Just expect a huge mark up. Good news is you will be getting some Xiden bucks, since the gov loves to turn on the money printers.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I got lucky and stocked up before the stupidity hit hard...

I don't reload, so I have a few on hand that get good reviews, and will give you a place to start looking.

Underwood with a 165 running 1400fps.

Nosler Match Grade with a 180 running 1250fps.

Magtech with a 180 running 1300, iirc..

And some Hornady 180s running 1180...

All are jacketed HPs, and all are pretty stout when you touch em off. Any would be plum good out to 50 yards on critters, I reckon..

In my G40mos with the red dot, all rounds mentioned here will shoot into a paper plate at 50 off my bench and bags. So no real worry about point of impact shifting much from the Underwoods to the Hornadys.

Good luck on your 10mm journey. I can't wait to kill a critter with mine.

Steven037

I’ve found 10mm easier to find than other pistol calibers. I guess since it’s not as popular. I’ve stocked up and I reload for it. As far as hunting I’ve got Buffalo Bore hard cast for pigs and 190 jhp for deer. I also have a hand load of 180 xtp I use for deer and pigs. I shoot some hot rounds but they’re through a Springfield TRP longslide Operator and it handles them just fine.

rosewood

I use 200 grain WFNGC that I bought from Beartooth bullets. Use a healthy dose of longshot and get around 1225FPS out of my 5" P16-10 MM. Nothing in GA that it won't dispatch and with 16 rounds to choose from..

The good news is, you use the same dies and bullets you would use for 40 S&W. You just need large pistol primers which are much easier to obtain right now than small pistol.

Rosewood

pacecars

I have used Winchester 175gr Silvertips on deer and they expand and worked well. I mostly use DoubleTap 200gr WFNGC ammo. I have shot deer and pigs with it. I prefer to break shoulders and this load does it

ThatredneckguyJamie

And some Hornady 180s running 1180...

All are jacketed HPs, and all are pretty stout when you touch em off. Any would be plum good out to 50 yards on critters, I reckon..

In my G40mos with the red dot, all rounds mentioned here will shoot into a paper plate at 50 off my bench and bags. So no real worry about point of impact shifting much from the Underwoods to the Hornadys.

The Hornady 180's are what I shoot, technically the jacketed soft points...they got hard to find about 2 yrs ago so when I found some I bought a "few"...deer and hogs graveyard dead at less than 50 yards

Hiccup

I hunt deer with a Glock 40 MOS (10mm) with Vortex Viper optic and love it. Almost pulled the trigger on a doe today as a matter of fact. I just bought some more ammo today from Midway USA.

Reactions: Dub

Robust Redhorse

For hunting, if you want factory ammo, make sure you find Buffalo Bore, Double Tap, Underwood, etc.

Most factory loads might as well be .40 S&W, because they are so underloaded.

The 10mm is a serious hunting handgun, IF you can find the right ammo.

Liberty

I won't post the exact load for safety, but Longshot powder gives great velocity. 180 bonded hollowpoints are our go to bullets. Hodgsdon has the loads listed on their website. Remember to work up carefully.

godogs57

I won't post the exact load for safety, but Longshot powder gives great velocity. 180 bonded hollowpoints are our go to bullets. Hodgsdon has the loads listed on their website. Remember to work up carefully.

I shoot a Wilson custom Delta Elite and handload for it. It loves 180 and 200 grain XTP’s or Nosler jhp’s. Blue Dot was its preferred powder until I tried Longshot. Holy smokes. Velocity and accuracy off the scale. I used Hodgdon’s published data. 8.4 grains.

rosewood

From my experience in .357 sig, 40, 10, and 45, Longshot gives max velocity without pressure signs if you stay within book max. In 9mm, Bluedot gives max velocity with 124 grain. Not to mention Longshot is usually easier to find and cheaper than a lot of other powders. Works great in turkey loads and buck shot to boot. :)

Rosewood