11 days, 14 states…

wvdawg

Staff member
Beautiful pics! You certainly picked a great time to visit! I worked that eight state region for eight years before being transferred back south in the 90's. Lots of good reminders of my time there. Thanks for sharing!

Geffellz18

Thanks All! Was a much enjoyable trip, for sure

That was an awesome trip! Thank you for sharing. How long did it take?

11 days in total.

Great scenery and looks like a great trip.
That kind of trip would wear me out so bad going back to work would seem like a vacation.

It definitely did! We actually headed home a day early for that very reason. Wanted a day to recoup!

hawkeye123

I did almost the same trip last Oct..drove back from Kennebunkport Maine to Rocky Mount NC in one long day..0800 to 0100..saw a lotta the same sites..did you ride the train to the Mt Washington summit in New Hampshire? Beautiful country & so much history..also dont go to Salem Mass. In Oct..month long witches festival..I think Portland area was my favorite..but also loved Vermont along White River..fished there & in Maine

Geffellz18

I did almost the same trip last Oct..drove back from Kennebunkport Maine to Rocky Mount NC in one long day..0800 to 0100..saw a lotta the same sites..did you ride the train to the Mt Washington summit in New Hampshire? Beautiful country & so much history..also dont go to Salem Mass. In Oct..month long witches festival..I think Portland area was my favorite..but also loved Vermont along White River..fished there & in Maine

That is a Haul for a single leg!
I pass through Rocky Mount area to/from my MIL’s in Ohio. Never realized the significance of its history until I watched it literally last night on Barnwood Builders…It’s now a must stop if they are open the next time we head that way!

Didn’t do the train up to Mt. Washington unfortunately. I hear it’s a great experience.
My wife just did a girls trip to Cape Cod in June & part of their itinerary was Salem…She was disappointed! Felt they could have done more to showcase the wikken history.
We were supposed to do the latter part of this trip on the Cape too, but I changed it to Western MA after she booked her trip for June. Glad I did….I like experiencing different things & have been to the Cape before.
Ageeed-Portland was beautiful! It will be awhile before we make it back up that way, but definitely want to go back & travel further North into Maine & Upstate NY more. Not in the cards for at least another 5+ yrs though!

Big7

The Oracle
I never hit that far north east but I did hit all the way up the east coast before hooking west to upstate New York, all the way to Niagara Falls.
Went to a lot of battle fields, cemeteries and historical sites. Even went to Appomattox Court House and the surrounding landmarks.

Spent 2 weeks up there rambling around the finger lakes and more.

Got some film pics somewhere. We didn't have cellphone cameras back then.

The people of upstate NY are just as country as we are and they generally don't like folks from NYC. Most of the people I met haven't ever been to NYC.

Looks like you had a fun grip!

Last edited:

JonathanG2013

Day 10, we started our trek southward towards NE GA, overnighting in Shenandoah Valley.

But not before making sure the wife checked off another one of her “bucket list” items-Going to the Elephants Trunk Flea Market in CT. This also marked our first time in the state. We’ve been to every state around CT, but never in it so this was a milestone accomplished for us both as well!
Big flea market and we actually found a few items to bring home…
View attachment 1182206

Stop worthy shot of the sun starting to peek over the range with the lake sweating off a little fog on the way to the flea market(somewhere in NY)…
View attachment 1182219

I found something that sparked my interest that was along the travel route to the flea market, so I had to stop & check it out. Bash Bish falls-The biggest waterfall in MA…View attachment 1182218

Another interesting find as I was heading to Bash Bish falls-Copake Iron Works National historic site…
View attachment 1182220
Holy Kiln!
View attachment 1182221
Another stop along the way to Shenandoah was Gettysburg. Made it to the welcome center just before closing and had about 1 1/2 hours left to take the driving tour-Doable, but definitely plan an entire day or even two for a true experience. I had my focus areas planned out that I wanted to see, and got to see much more still!
Another great history lesson on the trip from a completely different time and war than at Saratoga.
View attachment 1182222View attachment 1182223View attachment 1182224View attachment 1182225

General James Longstreet-Buried right here in Gainesville, GA.
(Not sure why it posted upside down!)
View attachment 1182226

Day 11(Today) was the final leg home-Was going to do the North section of the BRP just below Skyline drive & Roanoke, but the wife and I were truly ready to get to the house!

But what a trip is was…The memories made are irreplaceable.
The states visited or traveled through were GA, NC, TN, VA, WV, MD, PA, NJ, NY, CT, MA, VT, NH & ME!

Appreciate you coming along and I hope you enjoyed the ride!
It looks like, you and the wife had a wonderful trip. In June, the wife son, and I took a trip in a motor home to the north east. We visited 20 states in 10 days. The North East is very pretty. Favorite areas were probably Maine, Vermont and upstate NY. My son an I caught a few small mouth bass on lake Ontario. They put up quite a fight.

I would go again maybe in fall. June was hot, especially in DC.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Awesome adventure!! Thanks for taking us along!!!!

Geffellz18

It looks like, you and the wife had a wonderful trip. In June, the wife son, and I took a trip in a motor home to the north east. We visited 20 states in 10 days. The North East is very pretty. Favorite areas were probably Maine, Vermont and upstate NY. My son an I caught a few small mouth bass on lake Ontario. They put up quite a fight.

I would go again maybe in fall. June was hot, especially in DC.

Fall is definitely our preferred time to go…Beautiful scenery and the weather is typically much more calm overall.

I bet your trip was a wonderful experience too!
Next time we go up that way will be primarily upstate NY & over to Maine to explore those areas more. Will be a few years for that though as we have general plans for the next couple of years already!