13 year old's Zone 8 Gator

Redman54

My 13 yr old son was able to fill his Zone 8 tag on Labor Day with this solid 7 footer. We spent the entire weekend hunting one particular gator we had on the hit list in our "Sheepshead" hole. This gator is large and old and likes to tease you, it'll swim within 10 yards of the boat when we are fishing, but not so much during gator season. One sight of the boat and he goes under and heads for the safety of the marsh. We'll the old gator eluded us this year. Monday morning we decided to get up before daylight, head to the hole and be ready at sunup. My 2 oldest boys decided they wanted to sleep in so it was just my youngest and my wife. We get to our spot just after sunrise and ease into the little creek. It was just after the tide change and the incoming tide helped us ease in almost silent. As we round the corner where the bigboy hangs out, he was on the bank and quickly made his way inland through the marsh. My son said he's smart, but you don't get big being dumb. As we were turning around my wife spotted another decent gator on down the creek swimming away from us, the only problem was we were still at almost dead low and there was a large tree that is almost impossible to get around unless the tide is half or higher. Well, we made it around after a few minutes but the gator was gone. We continued to ease up the creek and when we rounded a curve he was sitting in the middle of the creek. My boy made a perfect cast across his back and the fight was on. He fought the gator right by himself for 10 minutes, then passed the rod to me so he could snag him with the big treble. He made another perfect throw and snagged the gator. He then fought him again all by himself up to the boat where he handed me the line so he could seal the deal. He drew his pistol and placed a 9mm +P extreme penetrater right in the sweet spot. It was all fist bumps and hugs after that
. IMG_1531.JPGIMG_1504.jpgIMG_1505.jpgIMG_1237.jpgIMG_1539.JPGIMG_1551.JPG

wvdawg

Staff member
Fantastic day for all! Congrats!