1840 Frontier Festival at Chehaw Park in Albany

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
What is the general schedule on Sunday? I assume folks might start packing up to leave in the afternoon?

We might have either one or both of our grandkids this weekend and I believe they would enjoy it. They usually love going to Chehaw on any day. Will there be stuff to interest them on Sunday, if we get there early enough? (9 year old boy and 4 year old country girl who lives in a yard full of free range chickens.)

Folks will start breaking camp in the middle-late afternoon Sunday. On Sunday, we usually have our tomahawk competition around 2. Before that and all through the morning and day, folks at various camps will be doing all kinds of everyday living of the periods of 1750 through 1840. There`s even an open air church service held by a friend of mine, around 10:30. You bring em by my tipi. I`ll show em a few things including how to build and maintain a flint & steel fire.

Oldstick

Folks will start breaking camp in the middle-late afternoon Sunday. On Sunday, we usually have our tomahawk competition around 2. Before that and all through the morning and day, folks at various camps will be doing all kinds of everyday living of the periods of 1750 through 1840. There`s even an open air church service held by a friend of mine, around 10:30. You bring em by my tipi. I`ll show em a few things including how to build and maintain a flint & steel fire.

Thanks very much, Nic. We will definitely look you up, if it turns out we make it there. Been there once before by myself years ago, and it was awesome. 25 degrees outside that year if I recall.

Mauser

I was hoping we were gonna make it again this year, but the wife came down with the flu Thursday

oldguy

Good to see everybody!
Met some members on here.
Bought me a tommy-hawk:)
'Nother good time!
Be thinking about everybody in camp tonight when the blow comes.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I worked way more than I intended to today. Hope I make it tomorrow...last time I was there I got to watch the tomahawk throwing contest.

Winds out there seem to be well in the 20s now...tornado watch until 9:00 PM...Stay safe all!

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Good to see everybody!
Met some members on here.
Bought me a tommy-hawk:)
'Nother good time!
Be thinking about everybody in camp tonight when the blow comes.
Enjoyed meeting and talking to you.Always enjoy being around my GON friends.Met some new ones and they all seem to be good peoples

Crakajak

Daily Driveler News Team
Thank you sir, I think she got the tamiflu in time and is on the mend. She's fussin at me so she's a Little better lol
That good ...unless you done made her mad at you.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
I was coming but thought it was next weekend. Maybe next year.

oldguy

One of the best parts of the gathering was all the young people involved! There were at least 2 scout troops with camps. And we visited with one camp of young boys busy starting a fire then came back and one put a pot on the fire and proclaimed they fixing to cook elk. I asked where they got elk and he said "Our neighbor. He knows we like doing this stuff." One of the scouts was making venison jerky over an open fire. Great to see young people involved. Not to mention all the kids in camp with parents and just attending dressed in traditional period dress.

Jester896

Senior Clown
I saw about 5 of those young fellas at the hawk throwin competition this afternoon and they had a blast.

I will tell you the most LOL fun I have had was watchin the adult match. Ben hoopin up the crowd...1..2..3.."IT'S THE BIG ROUND THING" when they missed the whole stump...had me in stitches.

I did pick me up a new skinner

IMG_2856.jpg

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
I saw about 5 of those young fellas at the hawk throwin competition this afternoon and they had a blast.

I will tell you the most LOL fun I have had was watchin the adult match. Ben hoopin up the crowd...1..2..3.."IT'S THE BIG ROUND THING" when they missed the whole stump...had me in stitches.

I did pick me up a new skinner

Yep, I was one of the ones who missed!

turkeykirk

My grandkids, son and I had a great time. Got to place some GONers with faces. Looking forward to next year.

Batjack

Cap`n Jack 1313
No worries! Next time ask Nick to introduce you to his brother. He'll know where to find me.
Yeah, when Nic made mention that you were his Brother, I told him the first time I saw your avitar that I thought of him, but just couldn't put it all together. Sorry I miss it this year...family duties, but plans to make it next year.

The Original Rooster

Mayor of Spring Hill
Yeah, when Nic made mention that you were his Brother, I told him the first time I saw your avitar that I thought of him, but just couldn't put it all together. Sorry I miss it this year...family duties, but plans to make it next year.
Hopefully the weather will be cooler and drier when you come next year. It's a great time and almost like a family reunion for the participants. Many of us have been coming over 15 years!

Jester896

Senior Clown
the weather was almost 20° warmer than normal. Last time I went I watched the hawk throwin too. That year Nic skint out a deer at camp I think...maybe 6 years ago?