1988 F250 No Crank / No Start?

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
You have been VERY helpful and i thank you very much, same goes for the other folks who gave advice,thx!

I am not sure as to the transmission but it is stock and i am going to grit me teeth and just use those 2 holes on the diagram!

I will post back once i do...thx!

the transmission should have a tag on the side of it, or you should be able to identify it by the shape and number of holes in the transmission pan. I would be very careful about just gritting my teeth and jumping in. If it is a E4OD, those had a transmission control module, and you might take it out if you get the wrong terminals.

Pls research what you actually have a bit more, and try to confirm it by the shape of the plug, the transmission and if it is 4 x 4 shift on the fly or manual before you try the jumper

transfixer

1988 should have a C6 trans, E4OD didn't start till 89/90, I don't remember which wires on those neutral safety switches, but they are mounted on the side of the trans and have two 3/8 bolts holding them on, after you remove the 1/2in nut that attaches the passing gear rod, local parts store should have it in stock.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
1988 should have a C6 trans, E4OD didn't start till 89/90, I don't remember which wires on those neutral safety switches, but they are mounted on the side of the trans and have two 3/8 bolts holding them on, after you remove the 1/2in nut that attaches the passing gear rod, local parts store should have it in stock.

I couldn't remember when the E4OD started. Thanks for the input

funnyfarm

Thanks again ALL for your help! I got called in this morning and will not have a chance to fiddle around with it until tomorrow. I couldn't find a diagram like NE GA Pappy posted of a C6 transmission to make sure the holes on the plug are the same? I will look closer before attempting it even though my life insurance is paid up and current ;)

I did get a quick look at the solenoid that is mounted near the battery though. Never noticed this before but a rat, mice, or squirrel has chewed the wire which fastens to the S terminal. It is not completely chewed thru but it is frayed pretty good! I probably will end up cutting the bad part of the wire out then splicing and soldering the wire back together.

I will do this first then try to crank it up then if still no crank then move on to the neutral safety switch jumping trick.

I will post results as i go to keep ya updated but again, a HUGE THX for ALL that took time to try and help me!(y)

transfixer

[QUOTE="funnyfarm, post: 12714942, member: 130860"

I did get a quick look at the solenoid that is mounted near the battery though. Never noticed this before but a rat, mice, or squirrel has chewed the wire which fastens to the S terminal. It is not completely chewed thru but it is frayed pretty good! I probably will end up cutting the bad part of the wire out then splicing and soldering the wire back together.
[/QUOTE]

That is probably going to end up being your problem, I would check the wire harness all over , when they start chewing on the insulation they don't usually just hit it at one spot, something about the composition of the wire insulation Ford used in the late 80's , early 90's was rather tasty to mice and rodents,,, we used to see that a LOT on vehicles that were towed in after sitting around a while.

funnyfarm

Sorry fer the delay in responding but i just got back in from cutting out the rat chewed wire and splicing and soldering piece back in and shazam!!!! It cranked 1st attempt :cool: Looked around and didnt see any other chews Thank God.

I am VERY happy this is all it took to repair it.

Thx to ALL who took time to respond and try to help a feller out. (y)

transfixer

Sorry fer the delay in responding but i just got back in from cutting out the rat chewed wire and splicing and soldering piece back in and shazam!!!! It cranked 1st attempt :cool: Looked around and didnt see any other chews Thank God.

I am VERY happy this is all it took to repair it.

Thx to ALL who took time to respond and try to help a feller out. (y)

(y)

funnyfarm

Gas 5.8l engine with ONLY 56,025 miles on it. My wife inherited it from her dad and mom back in 2000 after they were killed in a car wreck coming back to Atlanta from Ft. Payne Al.

Dont drive it much maybe to the dump or home depot here and there.

Thx again, i am very happy and she is too. I heard peppermint spray helps run them off so hopefully it works. I blew out all the crap and nesting materials a couple weeks ago while looking for why it wouldn't crank. Sprayed the engine down with the peppermint oil diluted with water in a little spray bottle and as of an hour or so ago i see no crap anywhere so hopefully reapplying monthly? will keep them dirty rats away! (hahahah)

Thx again all...