1st Crawfish run of the year!

rhbama3

Administrator
Staff member
Okay, the craving was upon me but the creeks are raging and high. Swamp is too but i decided to give it a whirl. Still early but numbers were low in the shallow traps and none in the deepwater traps. Should get better in the next few weeks. Bait was the usual homemade crawfish bait balls and split fish heads and carcasses. 18 hour soak.
20200217_145452.jpg
Double entrance traps preferred in still waters. The shallow water traps had anywhere from 2 to 10 mostly large mudbugs.
1-20200217_134556.jpg
My nemisis. A four foot long trap crusher. Kept the traps out of his area.
1-20200218_143027.jpg
Getting there.
1-20200218_144344.jpg
Enough for supper anyway.
1-20200218_144437.jpg
Red Swamp species in this particular swamp.
Can't wait to do it again.

rhbama3

Administrator
Staff member
Do you think I could catch them in a lake? Maybe in the shallow cove area's?
I honestly dont know, Josh. I havent tried lakes but would target rock beds if you have them.

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
Looks good, Robert. Flung a craving on me.

Josh B

I love eating them. As a kid I would put traps in the creek by my house but never caught enough to eat. Maybe I'll give it a try in the lake where the creeks come in.

King.Of.Anglers.Jeremiah

Fishing ? Instructor!
I just want to put out there that almost all the bass I catch with crawfish in their throats are that same color and a lot of the craws in most areas I fish are that color as well. If y'all are looking for a great winter/early spring bass bait, try a red crankbait or black/red jig

crackerdave

I just want to put out there that almost all the bass I catch with crawfish in their throats are that same color and a lot of the craws in most areas I fish are that color as well. If y'all are looking for a great winter/early spring bass bait, try a red crankbait or black/red jig
Or a live Crawdad!

Down in the Florida Keys,many years ago,we killed a 450 pound grouper that had 13 spiny lobster in it.The antenna of number thirteen was sticking out of his throat,and number one was a crumbly ball of undigested shell in the anus.We cut the filets off with an electric chainsaw.

The man who dove down and shot that fish with a bang-stick was a man who made his living trapping lobster.

Last edited:

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
Dadgum Robert, nice haul! Surprised you could get out with all this dang water.. facepalm:

rhbama3

Administrator
Staff member
Good start Robert, I enjoy tagging along in these post. I guess the gators leave em alone in this cooler water?
Yes, the gators are out but so far they havent messed with anything. Be a different story in another month or so. WEnt rabbit hunting yesterday and checked the creek. Its out of the banks and about 1.5-2 feet high. Gonna be a while before i can even think about trying my good spots. Been fixing gator and turtle damaged traps for the last few days. Replacing funnels, bait boxes, etc..

GeorgiaGlockMan

I love crawfishing with traps and eating them better.

Had a real cajun show me how to fill up those little blue swimming pools quick.

redneck_billcollector

Purveyor Of Fine Spirits
You ever use pillow traps? I used to run some in probably the same creek system(s) you are running yours in. Our local reservoir can have some nice white river crawfish at times.

across the river

Do you think I could catch them in a lake? Maybe in the shallow cove area's?

In my experience, it is harder to catch numbers in a lake/pond because the fish eat them. Doesn't mean they aren't there in some numbers, but you can fill a trap in a deep pool in a creek. I've never come really that close in a lake or even pond. With that being said, if you try it in a lake put it in whatever the best cover you have (rocks, grass, etc....)

Latest posts