1st Spring trip back to Pensacola...

Rabun

Well dang...I'll probably miss you. Will keep you posted on how we do and disposition of the area. Question though for those that have pompano fished from a boat. Do you pretty much ease parallel to shore close to the bar and cast for them. I've always been Shore bound when targeting pomps in the past.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
I power drift just outside the surf line with my boat motor on. Kicking it in gear occassionly just to keep the outside the breaking waves. Mostly blind casting because the pompano I see are always gone before I can get a cast off to then. Fast movers. I use a pompano jig tipped with a piece of peeled shrimp or sometimes a piece of a gulp bait. Ill also pinch the back 2 sections of a shrimp off and let it drag behind the boat on a quarter ounce inshore jig. A pinfish or other live bait under a float dragging behind the boat might not be a bad idea either If you have enough hands on board to clear lines if a hooked fish heads that way. Have caught pompano, redfish, black drum, sea trout, flounder, Spanish and of course lady fish. I've run into triple tail floating just outside the surf off cape san blass. And I couldn't believe my eyes at 1st when I saw what was definitely black fin tuna busting not far off the beach there.
And of course, keep the cobia gear ready at hand. Good Luck!

Dang, It's getting tougher and tougher to think about sitting out this Corona virus thing for 2 weeks… I may have to self quarantine in the salt…

Rabun

That’s some great info! Much appreciated! I’m hoping to beat them closing the beaches before we get down there...pretty sparse in that area but seems to be headed that direction.

Rabun

Well it’s been an interesting week down here on the cape with the beaches closed. Good news is the fishing has been very good. We found a great redfish hole and pretty much been hitting that catching upwards of 15 fish per sit. Also catching black drum, sheepshead, spanish and a couple trout out of the same spot. Live shrimp on carolina rig drifted with the current was the ticket. Pompano are along the beaches although did not target them from the boat. I’ll post up some pics when I get back.

Weather has been great the whole week. Life down here has a normalcy to it even with to go only and closed beaches. Bluewater remains open and has bait. Presnells is hopping and boat ramps were very busy on the weekend. It is strange to look down the beach on a beautiful day and see no body. Even stranger I can’t set up my surf rods. This has been a wonderful respite and well needed despite the restrictions.

Hope all have been well!