1st wheelgun...updated with my firs 18 shots

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Get u some good hearing protection , nice gun !

gma1320

I like a Useles Billy Thread
Gonna shoot it today, took the custom wood grip off that is in the picture and put a hogue grip on it. Will post pictures later of my terrible shooting.

Reactions: Dub

gma1320

Screenshot_20200509-200046_Gallery.jpg
1st 6 shots at 15 yards.

Screenshot_20200509-200058_Gallery.jpg
2nd 6 shots 25 yards 3 misses

Screenshot_20200509-200108_Gallery.jpg
3rd 6 shots 25 yards 2 misses

I got me one of those, congrats. Use a solid rest at 15 yards, you will have a tighter group and you will know if you will need to make any adjustments.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Y’all just don’t know how to hold it yet.
Dig that back corner into your palm and reach for the trigger. Your middle finger will appreciate it.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Sure is purrty! Shooting with just hard sights?

gma1320

Sure is purrty! Shooting with just hard sights?
Thank you and yes, factory iron sights. Thinking of changing to some fiber optic sights though. These are purdy hard to see

Darkhorse

I doubt it will take 15 or 20 shots before he starts to flinch a little. A new shooter should limit him/her self to only 6 to 12 shots with heavy loads, at least for a month or two. To do otherwise could very well cause a flinch. That should be avoided at any cost as flinches can be hard to get rid of.
I have basically the same pistol except mine is blued. I bought mine in 1979 so I know firsthand how the effect from recoil accumulates after just a few shots.
I've found these pistols can be very accurate with the right loads. Often a few shots will be touching at 25 and 50 yards once you learn to shoot it.

Wifeshusband

Back in the day I had a .357 S & W and a .44 Taurus Raging Bull. Practice, practice, practice, something you can do with all the indoor ranges.

Wifeshusband

I doubt it will take 15 or 20 shots before he starts to flinch a little. A new shooter should limit him/her self to only 6 to 12 shots with heavy loads, at least for a month or two. To do otherwise could very well cause a flinch. That should be avoided at any cost as flinches can be hard to get rid of.
I have basically the same pistol except mine is blued. I bought mine in 1979 so I know firsthand how the effect from recoil accumulates after just a few shots.
I've found these pistols can be very accurate with the right loads. Often a few shots will be touching at 25 and 50 yards once you learn to shoot it.
You're right, and to think, there are guys out there shooting the .454 and up. The .454 has 75 % more recoil than the .44.

gma1320

Well tomorrow is the big day, gonna try it out if the right shot presents itself

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
the way I learn not to flinch.

Have someone else load the gun, skipping a few cylinders. Make sure you can't or at least don't look at the gun or the cylinder. Sight at your target and practice a slow, controlled squeeze. If you are flinching, it will be obvious when the gun gets jerked around and there is no pew pew.

after a few embarrassing 'shots' where the gun is practically thrown across the room, you will really concentrate on making sure you don't move and the gun will magically go boom and you will hit the target, right where you were aiming the whole time

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
I use to shoot quite a bit with a Blackhawk, but got rid of most of them and started shooting the Redhawk. It is a double action, with a better grip than the Blackhawk, which tends to walk around in your hand a bit after a few shots.

Someone mentioned the .454 in a Super Blackhawk... the good thing about those is you can shoot .45LC in them for practice. And .45LC is available in several different power loadings in factory ammo. You can get light cowboy loads, standard loads and heavier +P loads... then you can go full bore with the .454 loads. That makes it a pretty versatile gun, even without handloading

gma1320

I'm still trying for my 1st deer with it. So far no luck.

Latest posts