2-22-23 - Hooch Crappie and Whites - New things in old places!

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't been posting much since the beginning of the year. First, I got Covid and that slowed me down for a couple weeks. Second, and most important, I was in the process of picking up a new boat. Anyone that has followed the forum for a bit knows that my family has always fished out of an early 80's Ski Barge that my grandfather purchased brand new. I can't even begin to put a number on the amount of fish, and memories, that boat is responsible for. Many members here have been on it at some point. It was taken care of very well, but age and condition were making us make some decisions on how we wanted to proceed. It is actually amazing that for basically 40 years that boat required zero major work.

I've actually been looking for about 3 years, but Covid caused prices to go out of sight and inventory to go to zero. I noticed both of those problems were starting to correct themselves and started getting very serious late last year. I finally decided on an Xpress H190 Bay and picked it up about 3 weeks ago. I can only hope it is half as good as the boat it is replacing. I'm about half way through initial break-in and can say I have been very pleased so far.

So now to the good stuff....

Tyler and I made a run upriver yesterday (2-22) looking for whites and crappie. I'm happy to say crappie were pretty much in all of the pre-spawn spots that I fish. Little current breaks seemed to be the ticket. Moving baits didn't produce much, but a Bobby Garland Baby Shad about 3 ft. under a float cleaned house.

The whites are still lagging a little. We picked up a number of small males and a couple females, but they are incredibly scattered. Water temps were pushing 62 yesterday afternoon, so it could literally be overnight when a mass of fish shows up. Full moon is coming on the 7th, so I expect a huge push of fish next week.

This first picture is pretty cool. This is my dad and grandfather (his father-in-law) on the Barge's very first trip. This was at Ringer Ramp. I took the second picture last week on the first trip breaking in the new boat. Same place 40 years later.

DE7AF4F2-398C-43B1-9EC6-FA8EC004C4A8.jpegAE586B2A-22CE-46D9-8FEE-B836129A1B45.jpeg0C544548-E213-4D83-956D-233BA32CE975.jpegC4A015AA-747B-4189-809D-1B5110D6AEE5.jpeg5BC9106C-FDD6-4702-AB71-2A46C19C0D80.jpeg140EEA12-A526-4E3C-AD89-355339F640C3.jpeg

trad bow

wooden stick slinging driveler
Fantastic boat. You will enjoy the boat very much. I have a Xpress 180 and enjoy it very much.

hunter44a

Glad you survived that covid junk. It'll really take the wind outta ur sails. On the baby shads, what length and color seemed to produce? Oh btw, really nice boat!!

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
Glad you survived that covid junk. It'll really take the wind outta ur sails. On the baby shads, what length and color seemed to produce? Oh btw, really nice boat!!
I think they only come in a 2 inch. If you only get one color, get black and chartreuse. I think they call it Lights out.

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Great day and report ! Nice ride also , it’s about to get put through a test. And how did you manage that wind yesterday ?

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
Great day and report ! Nice ride also , it’s about to get put through a test. And how did you manage that wind yesterday ?
The wind was horrendous. It was against the current and made boat control an absolute nightmare. Makes you want to get Powerpoles sooner than later.

goob

Awesome boat I'm sure you will be filling it full of fish in no time! I have been wanting to find some white bass for a long time now but they're very few here.

LowerAl

Guessing the fish over are glad to see that thing get retired.

That’s a really nice rig.
Did you get the new one with a prop or jet? How fast is it with whatever route you went?