2/24/20 pigs down

hambone76

It was a little bit disheartening to exit my warm and dry truck the other morning to walk out into a steady downpour of rain. Thank goodness for Frog Togs!
“You can’t kill them from the couch” is what I kept telling myself as I trudged along. Work has kept me very busy lately, so I was taking advantage of any day that I had time to be outdoors.
I’m slipping along, about 4 miles covered and a good bit of sign found, but I haven’t seen anything aside from deer so far. All of my predator calling sequences were uneventful, most likely attributed to the fowl weather.
A good while later, I finally caught a glimpse of something. It was a pig coming down the ridge, then another and another. A sounder of 2 decent sized sows and 6 little pigs were feeding along out in front and crosswind of me. I eased up to the nearest tree and now had them at about 65 yards, all of them unbeknownst to my presence.
The wind must’ve swirled a little as I saw the lead sow pick her head up and check the wind. I put the red dot behind her ear and sent a Barnes TSX downrange. She dropped upon the crack of the rifle and the remaining pigs scattered. I picked the other sow up in my red dot as she retreated for the pines and put a couple rounds in her at about 100 yards. Once she fell, I turned my attention to the rest of them. All in all, 8 pigs down out of an 8 pig sounder.
After a lot of work, I got them all quartered or skinned, loaded on my pack frame and hiked on back to the truck.

Last edited:

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
Thanks! I was stoked!
I’ve never gotten this many pigs in one hunt. It was a lot of work but well worth it.
I like to let one of the little ones go to tell the story, haha. I bet that set up is sweet you got there. I was watching my buddy shoot some with his suppressed 300blk and they never really went anywhere until I started picking little stragglers with my 12 guage. Then they got out of town!

Big7

The Oracle
I always say shoot them all when referring to pigs. Derned if you didn’t go and do it.

Mighty fine shooting!!!
Yep. They are an invasive species. Shoot all you can possibly shoot.

Last turkey season, I got to go hunting in Green county. After we were done opening day, I decided to take a road trip from Green county to just past the Glascock line into Jefferson county where I deer, turkey and hog hunted for 10+ years.

On Black Road I saw where one of the larger farms had a corral trap set. Across the road, on the same property, I saw a stack of hogs stacked up like cord wood. They were just shot- no meat taken.

So, this, coyote and a few more non- game animals, I shoot whether or not I needed the meat.

O.P....Congratulations on a good hunt and I'm glad you got a few !!!?

hambone76

I like to let one of the little ones go to tell the story, haha. I bet that set up is sweet you got there. I was watching my buddy shoot some with his suppressed 300blk and they never really went anywhere until I started picking little stragglers with my 12 guage. Then they got out of town!
Thanks, it’s a C3 Defense 16” carbine in 300 Blk. I’m running 130gr Barnes TSX’s, obviously Supersonic. The can is mainly for preserving what’s left of my hearing. When it hits them you can hear the round “thump” them and they usually don’t go very far. I’ve spent a lot of time behind the stock of this rifle.
I was relatively close to the pigs when I started shooting and the other sow didn’t waste much time getting out of there! Was your buddy running Subsonic ammo in his suppressed setup?

Last edited:

Pig Predator

Useles Billy’s Fishel Hog Killer ?
Thanks, it’s a C3 Defense 16” carbine in 300 Blk. I’m running 130gr Barnes TSX’s, obviously Supersonic. The can is mainly for preserving what’s left of my hearing. When it hits them you can hear the round “thump” them and they usually don’t go very far. I’ve spent a lot of time behind the stock of this rifle.
I was relatively close to the pigs when I started shooting and the other sow didn’t waste much time getting out of there! Was your buddy running Subsonic ammo in his suppressed setup?
Yes, he was using sub-sonic ammo and was having feed issues. Which is why i was having to play clean up for him. It would shoot a couple times and malfunction. Probably needs a lighter buffer tube spring or something simple like that.

hambone76

Yes, he was using sub-sonic ammo and was having feed issues. Which is why i was having to play clean up for him. It would shoot a couple times and malfunction. Probably needs a lighter buffer tube spring or something simple like that.
Spring or buffer are most likely the culprits. Also have him check for proper alignment of the gas block where it mounts to the barrel. A little bit of misalignment can occlude the hole and cause under-gassing.

georgia_home

Nice work!

Wayne D Davis

Congrats bro..... I've never seen results like this without a trap. You Smoked them rascals !

bany

Excellent hunt hambone! every once in awhile it all comes together! nice Pile of pork!

hambone76

Excellent hunt hambone! every once in awhile it all comes together! nice Pile of pork!
Thank you. I’ve had to cover a lot of ground to find them.

Hillbilly stalker

That's a great hunt that turned into a days work. Congratulations , way to hang in there bud !