2-3/4" TSS...

HD28

Wife got me some Apex #9 TSS 20 ga shells for Christmas, but...got 2-3/4" instead of the 3". Should I swap them or shoot the 2-3/4"? Anyone have experience with the 2-3/4" TSS loads? Thank you.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
PM inbound…

deast1988

Birds can’t tell with TSS, don’t matter 3in .410 smokes em. A 2 3/4in 20ga Is a lot meaner than any .410 every could be.

NCMTNHunter

I’ve been hand loading 2-3/4” #9 TSS for my daughter for a few years now. It’s just a 7/8oz load plus I backed the powder charge off a couple grains to help with recoil when she was little. She has absolutely blistered two birds at 40 yards and one at 30 with them. I would have no hesitation hunting with those shells.

earlthegoat2

I loaded a 3/4 oz 12 ga load last year that patterned really well. Never got a chance on a bird though.

TSS is no joke.

Last year I shot a doe at 60 yds with a charge of 30 pellets of #4 buckshot TSS and 70 gr black powder. 12 pellets hit and 9 exited.

Gun was an 8 bore ML….which would also make a good Turkey gun.

Bubba_1122

If I can kill them with 2 3/4 shell in my 28 ga, then I’m 100% confident you can do it with the 20ga. Just pattern the gun for best choke combo for the distance you like and let her rip!
That’s what I shoot as well-roll my own.

28’s a deadly turkey killing machine.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
3 inch .410 with TSS is a 40 yd machine all day long.
Use 2 3/4 in the 20, sold my 12 couple years ago.

Stevie Ray

3 inch .410 with TSS is a 40 yd machine all day long.
Use 2 3/4 in the 20, sold my 12 couple years ago.
My wife gave me her blessing to use her Mossberg 500 Bantam 20 for turkey this spring so I set it up with a rail mount, a Bushnell TRS-25 red dot that I had stored away, a sling and a Carlson's .575 choke tube so as soon as I can find some 20 gauge turkey ammo I'll sight it in and start running some pattern test and see how it does. I'm pretty excited about dialing it in and using it in the woods this spring and If I like it as much as I believe I will I'll then start shopping around for a dedicated 20 gauge turkey gun for me.

I've always used Longbeard XRs in my 12 but curious to know if I should be looking at the TSS loads over the Longbeards for the 20 gauge?

*I don't ever take a shot past 40 yards.

Last edited:

Beagler282

“Rabbit Man”
My wife gave me her blessing to use her Mossberg 500 Bantam 20 for turkey this spring so I set it up with a rail mount, a Bushnell TRS-25 red dot that I had stored away, a sling and a Carlson's .575 choke tube so as soon as I can find some 20 gauge turkey ammo I'll sight it in and start running some pattern test and see how it does. I'm pretty excited about dialing it in and using it in the woods this spring and If I like it as much as I believe I will I'll then start shopping around for a dedicated 20 gauge turkey gun for me.

I've always used Longbeard XRs in my 12 but curious to know if I should be looking at the TSS loads over the Longbeards for the 20 gauge?

*I don't ever take a shot past 40 yards.
I did the same thing with my wife's Mossberg 500 20 guage. Red dot and new choke this has turned into our new turkey gun..lol.. Retired my 12 guage...You can use the Longbeards and get good results with it in the 20 guage but if you ever try the TSS it's wayyy better than the longbeards.

DynamicDennis

TSS is a game changer. Kinda like using a magnum rifle cartridge, my thought has always been you can't kill anything too much. Much more deadly efficient in my opinion. Worth the extra $, if you are lucky enough to use a couple each season.