20 GAUGE OPINIONS

JROESEL

Good evening gentleman, I’m thinking about going the 20 gauge route, thinking of buying one pretty quick, so that I can go shoot it and get use to it before opening day, I would like to hear about the 20 gauge you shoot, the pros and cons of it, thank you in advance,
Like to stay around a grand or less,

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Started out hunting with a 20...Killed a ton of small game, and my first deer with a plain ol' rifled slug.

Was grown before I went 12 guage, and none of the few I own will ever kill as many critters as that ol Stevens 20 has...

In fact, I just bought an 870 Express Youth model, for my Grandson. He's a couple inches in arm length from using it, so I will get it well smoothed up and broken in for him till he grows a bit...

delacroix

BANNED
Use? Lightweight important? Twice barrel or auto? Camo or not ugly?

Then again in this market you better just take your cash down to Barrows and buy something.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Overnight, I remembered a buddy of my Dad's who was the best in our part of the world at shooting birds...Saw him shoot three out of four doves that flew by once.

His weapon of choice was a tiny well patina-ed over/under 20, that had once been a terribly expensive high grade, gold inlayed, beautifully stocked something or other.

It worked for him...

bullgator

Love the 20 gauge. You didn’t mention what action so I’ll assume a semi-auto. Take a look at the Franchi Affinity. Pretty much a copy of the Benelli system.

GLS

Classic Southern Gentleman
A solid double SXS is the Ithaca SKB 100. 6 lbs. Single select trigger, extractors. Last year of mfg. was 1978. Made in Japan for Ithaca. $1000+/-
Another good choice is a used Beretta 680, 682, 686, 687 series of gun. O/U. $1200-1500. Great guns with a solid reputation of reliability.

Gil

spring

I love a 20, use one regularly when hunting quail (wild birds), though I'll drop to a 28 with the same gun on the occasion that I'm hunting released ones. My O/U has interchangable barrels, and I've found that convenient.
For all of my adult life I've used a 12 for dove, and still do, though when hunting in Bolivia a couple of years ago, I only used a 20 semi-auto for dove and pigeon and found no disadvantage.

wuPo37u4_o.jpeg

zFAutcXV_o.jpeg

BriarPatch99

I have shot a 20 gauge ever since I outgrew the .410 around 11 years old .... I did go to 12 gauge for a couple years ...until I figured out I was killing more birds with the 20.... It(20) is all I have shot for past forty years....

Benelli Montefelltro
Yildiz over/under
Model 12 Winchester ....

All 20 gauge...

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
20 has been my main shotgun for pretty much since I could shoot. Absolutely no disadvantage. Yildiz A71 is an incredible gun for the money.

Buford_Dawg

Have 3 Franchi Affinités and 4 Rem 11-87's and several Rem 870s sitting in the safe, have been terrific guns over the years. Oh, several Yildiz O/U too, good guns.... Love a 20 gage, all I ever use any more.

hrstille

Get an over/under & buy a tube set. You can have 12,20 & 28 all in the same gun.

SC Hunter

Started on a 410 then started shooting a 20 and thought I needed a 12 gauge as I got bigger. I came right on back to the 20 gauge club and it is about all I shoot now. I bought a stoeger 3020 when they first came out and I like the gun. I've pondered buying a m2 in 20 gauge but I cant see spending the money when my stoeger does everything I ever ask of it. The affinity is a nice shot gun as well.

I've had several over under 20 gauges that all got sold for 1 reason or another. Go to barrows and find what you want, they'll probably have it.

Mid brass number 8 or 9 out of a modified choke will kill all the dove you want to pick up. That's what I'll be shooting opening day of dove season.

sasmojoe

Personally not a big fan of over and under on dove field, when the birds get to flying fast and furious it’s easier to reload an auto.

JROESEL

Sorry guys I’ve been slammed, trying to renovate the deck, it seems I always get talked into projects in JULY, for some reason,
Thanks for al the feed back, I’m looking into a semi, camo preferably, I’m going to take a trip to barrows soon, to shoulder a couple to see which one fells the best,
some of you mentioned the shot you would be shooting opening day, if you suggested a gun, what shot have you have the best of luck with, I understand that every gun is different, but a little help will help narrow it down a little, with the shortage of ammo!!