20 gauge or 12 gauge?

JRCUEVAS

I have both but wanting to see your opinion. Why would you choose one over the other? I love both but always use the 12 for doves and my 20 for crows. Was going to try the 20 on doves but idk why I haven't.

Nimrod71

AS in the previous post I need all the shot I can get. I use 12 ga. for doves. I roll my own with a load of 1 1/8 oz. shot over 3 1/2 dr. load of Unique, a great load known as International Pigeon load.

Uptonongood

My experience...First,check your eye dominance and correct your shooting. If needed. Second, get a neat 20 ga that fits and start shooting it at sporting clays or skeet. Keep your head on the stock (called “wood on wood”), keep your gun moving, and shoot a lot of shells at clays. It’s much more fun than shooting a 12 ga. Then take your little gun into the field and have a (gotta say it) blast!

To me, shooting doves, quail, snipe, or marsh hens with anything larger than a 20 is like shooting coastal white tails with a .300 Win Mag. It just ain’t right.

Boondocks

I have some 12,16,20,28,410.But my go to gun is a Remington 870 LW Wingmaster for the last 40 years.Also have a 1100 LW 20. I can kill anything with a 20 that a 12 can.

BriarPatch99

...Over, Under, in front, or behind ...... 10 gauge, 12, 16, 20, 28, or .410 ..... It is still a miss!

I do most of my missing with a 20 gauge ..... It will miss as well as the next gauge ....

Beagle Stace

I don't even own a 12 gauge anymore. Once you get used to carrying a nice light,trim and well balanced 20 gauge I see no need for a 12 gauge on smaller birds. Most 12 gauge guns even if they are on a light weight frame still feel clubby to me compared to a trim 20 gauge. Yes there may be 12 gauge exceptions but I am speaking in general field gun terms. I can see where a 12 for waterfowl would give you some advantage esp. being you don't have to lug the gun around. But for true upland hunting and scuffing up the boot leather give me a 20.

Turkeytider

I don't even own a 12 gauge anymore. Once you get used to carrying a nice light,trim and well balanced 20 gauge I see no need for a 12 gauge on smaller birds. Most 12 gauge guns even if they are on a light weight frame still feel clubby to me compared to a trim 20 gauge. Yes there may be 12 gauge exceptions but I am speaking in general field gun terms. I can see where a 12 for waterfowl would give you some advantage esp. being you don't have to lug the gun around. But for true upland hunting and scuffing up the boot leather give me a 20.

No argument from me concerning the 20 gauge and its suitability for upland hunting. Having said that, there is indeed a 12 semi-auto that will make you think you could be carrying a 20. It`s Fabarm`s L4S Hunter series guns. They are sub-7lb guns and superbly balanced, particularly for flushing game, although I really like my Initial Hunter for doves.

JHannah92

My father in law gave me a 1980ish 870 Wingmaster in 20ga as a wedding gift not long before he died, and it has become my favorite dove gun. My kill rate seems about the same as it was shooting a semi 12, plus it's a beautiful little gun with some sentimental value. Can't wait to knock a few down Saturday.