2012 Challenge 01/52

gstanfield

Greetings and welcome to the 2012 version of the 52 week challenege. You can find all of the rules and guidelines in the master thread located here :http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=659768 It's important to read through them before participating in this challenge.

With this being week one I thought I would post up the thread a few days early, but in future weeks the threads will be started weekly between 8PM Saturday and 8AM Sunday. If you have any suggestions for weekly themes please feel free to PM them to me and I'll get them added to our pool of ideas.

Now, some of the themes this year will be very specific while some will be more open to interpretation. These can be really fun as it will allow us to see how we each percieve the challenge. Week one will fall into the category of "open for interpretation " :D

Theme for this week:

A New Year

This can be anything that a new year means to you. If you have any New Year's Day traditions, trips, etc then snap some shots of them or any other interpretation of this theme that works for you. Let's wait until Sunday morning before we start posting up pics, but start working on your ideas now:)

Thanks and have fun,

jimmellow

looks fun I want to try it, I hope its ok for novice to join in. there is no way I can compete with you guys but if you have any pointers let me know.

quinn

hey Mr. Mellow.of couse you an play.this aint no competition.its about having fun and learning from each other.

Hoss

This isn't a competition, just a way to get folks out shooting photos so no one has to feel that they shouldn't post photos because they aren't good enough. This is all about sharing photos and having fun. The side benefits we all get to learn a few things and see some great photos along the way.

Hoss

gstanfield

Jump on it, it's all about having fun and challenging yourself to be better. It's a "challenege", not a "competition" :)

The Rules:

#1- All submitted photos must be in full compliance with the rules of this forum and shall be subject to the "family oriented" nature of this forum. Any photos that are not in compliance with the forum rules or the family oriented nature of the forum will be removed at the sole discretion of the Moderators. Let's keep this clean and fun so that they can enjoy it with us.

#2- This is NOT a competition. There will be no judging and no "critiquing" of the photos. The sole intent of this challenge is fun and friendship. If the person posting it asks for critiques, keep them civil and positive or don’t post them at all.

#3- There are no "image quality" standards or requirements. Shots taken with cell phones are just as welcome as those taken with top of the line gear. It's not just about the photo, it's about enjoying photography.

#4- The submitted photos should be new stuff taken just for this challenge. The intent is to get out there and have fun with photography, not to show off stuff you’ve already taken. This challenge is all about fun and challenging ourselves to be better photographers so there will be no “monitoring” of the capture dates. If you cheat you are only cheating yourself out of the fun of getting out there and being creative. Don’t cheat yourself!

#5- Please only submit one photo per thread. Since these are not judged it is up to you to decide what you want to share. It may be your best, funniest, or it may be so terrible that you just had to share so we all get a laugh! Whatever you want to submit, it’s your photo.

#6- Photoshop is fine as is whatever format you choose (full frame, panorama, ect) I would ask that you make note when submitting your photo if it is shopped or cropped, but this is not a requirement. Watermarks are of course no issue at all as long as they do not imply advertising. This typically means no reference to your name and photography or images in in the watermark.

#7- HAVE FUN!

rip18

looks fun I want to try it, I hope its ok for novice to join in. there is no way I can compete with you guys but if you have any pointers let me know.

Bring 'em on! The only pointer that I can offer is enjoy participating & enjoy learning from other folks' creativity!

gstanfield

Well, I guess I'll get the ball rolling here. For me the new year meant going to work. So far it's been a nice slow morning, I actually had time to come to the office for a break! It'll be dark before I get off work so I'm just going to submit a quick and simple shot of what 2012 has been about so far ;)

Attachments

• IMG_0024.JPG
    IMG_0024.JPG
    120.7 KB · Views: 421

wvdawg

Staff member
Watched a different light on New Year's Eve!

Not quite Times Square!

Attachments

• camp 020 copy (600 x 400).jpg
    camp 020 copy (600 x 400).jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 379

rip18

Great start, guys! I really like that moon shot, wvdawg! And the working tools & cute kids are great shots too!

wvdawg

Staff member
Fantastic color Topwater! Love it!

rip18

Anyone else care to play? :)

Sure, I'll play... Shot this one a few minutes ago... This is what my 2012 has been like - one big blur!

I turned my ISO down as low as it would go. Closed down my aperture all the way, and clicked the shutter while swinging the camera back & forth & doing a zoom blur with the lens. Didn't like it, so I kept on opening up the aperture until I got something I liked better. Turns out that I liked the simple swinging the camera back forth without the zoom blur too. I did add a little more linear motion blur during post processing to smooth it out even a bit more... Then I added the frame with effects. Then I added my logo & did a little linear motion blur on it as well...

Attachments

• gon6577blur.jpg
    gon6577blur.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 375

Crickett

Little Lady
Very nice Rip!

George I'm still trying to decide on mine. I have 1 idea just not sure if I can make it make sense to yall.

carver

I hope to play soon (laptops down and no card reader on house computer)Fine shots so far everyone!