2013 GMC Yukon SLT

HuntinJake_23

Got my wife a 2013 GMC Yukon SLT with the 5.3l v8. Looking at adding a cold air intake and maybe a tuner, does anyone have any experience with adding these to this model 5.3l (07-13 I believe). K&N seems to be the most popular cold air intake and diablo the most popular tuner I have found.

transfixer

Find a shop that uses the HP Tuners program and knows how to use it on the LS engines, first thing you should do is have them disable the Active fuel management, (displacement on demand), and then get them to delay the torque converter lockup till at least 4th gear, otherwise you'll be putting a cam and lifters in it at some point, and replacing the transmission before you should.

Someone with HP Tuners can also give you more power if that is what you're after, that program is much more versatile than any other tuner program for GM trucks

transfixer

Were the 2013 5.3 ls? The new ones aren't.

The used the 5.3 LS up till then end of 2013, some 2014 trucks have them as they were manufactured in 13, then did a few design changes to the engine but it was still used after that, still have the Active fuel management, still give trouble, I personally know someone that had to replace the 5.3 in his 2015 Silverado because of cam and lifter failure, only a little over 100k miles,

95g atl

OMG......i'm late to the game, but will offer my real world experience.

I have a 2013 silverado 5.3
and an older tahoe 5.3

The custom tunes are REQUIRED FOR THESE VEHICLES......!

I had the tahoe done from BlackBear from out west. Night and day difference in driving.

Recently, I had the Silverado done from Vengenance out of CUMMING. I believe it was $325. Took one hour. They drive it and tune it on the spot. It is an entirely different truck. 100% stock minus the tune!!!!

It woke the truck up BIGTIME. Is it as fast as a vette? NOPE. But I would believe it gained power and most of all ----- driveability. No longer does it have the DEAD PEDAL or failing to downshift. It doesn't lug in top gear like before. Worth every penny, you will NOT be disappointed.

HuntinJake_23

OMG......i'm late to the game, but will offer my real world experience.

I have a 2013 silverado 5.3
and an older tahoe 5.3

The custom tunes are REQUIRED FOR THESE VEHICLES......!

I had the tahoe done from BlackBear from out west. Night and day difference in driving.

Recently, I had the Silverado done from Vengenance out of CUMMING. I believe it was $325. Took one hour. They drive it and tune it on the spot. It is an entirely different truck. 100% stock minus the tune!!!!

It woke the truck up BIGTIME. Is it as fast as a vette? NOPE. But I would believe it gained power and most of all ----- driveability. No longer does it have the DEAD PEDAL or failing to downshift. It doesn't lug in top gear like before. Worth every penny, you will NOT be disappointed.

Ok great, we had an 08 Silverado 5.3l that stuck a lifter. Caught it as soon as it happened and rebuilt the top end, ran great til it got wrecked. My buddy suggested a shop in Snellville that tunes these motors. Thanks everyone for the input.