2017 Lumpkin County

PappyHoel

Not seeing many acorns like last year, barely any deer or fawns on camera and no turkey polts spotted. Who knows but compared to previous years I'm not seeing much game.

PappyHoel

Muscadines and white oak acorns are everywhere. Opening weekend a few people saw a few deer and Bears . Fawn tracks seemed to be prevalent now.

I think as soon as the muscadines run out they will change to their fall pattern. However, I bet the storm has caused all the acorns to prematurely fall which means late season food sources will be the key. There's a ton of food on the ground now which will be viable for the next couple of weeks.

shakey gizzard

Acorns are just know starting to rain! Iam surprised how many held through the storm.

PappyHoel

Acorns are just know starting to rain! Iam surprised how many held through the storm.

The ground is littered with acorns at my club. White oak acorns everywhere. There were a few still falling. I'm hoping to tag a bear in the morning.

PappyHoel

Anyone have any updates? I've been busy the last 2 weeks

tree cutter 08

Anyone finding dead deer? Been several found in white and habersham in the last few months. Looks like there taking a hard hit in the northern end of the counties and just wandering if Lumpkin was seeing the same thing.

josh chatham

Tree, I have not seen in dead ones in our area. A boy I know said he found a 4pt. in a creek last week but it looked like it had been hit by a car. Been seeing some deer just about every hunt. Hope to connect soon!

PappyHoel

Haven't seen any deer in 3 hunts, in areas that always have deer. The deer seem to be gone this year.

Duff

Oh no. Got me wondering now. I've got a terrible looking doe on trail cam. Looks like a walking skeleton. Also been smelling something dead behind the house for a couple weeks. Gonna take a walk on the creek as soon as possible. East White Co.

PappyHoel

Not many deer seen in the mountains. Seen a nice buck last week but not seeing much deer sign.

Are you noticing a difference? I walked a creek bottom Saturday that is normally full of deer sign, there was none. I did notice that there wasn't a single white oak on the ground though. I suspect the hurricane blew them all off 3 weeks ago and they've been eaten since. The deer in this area/stand have probably moved off to another food source. It's always slow this time of year but I normally see a few after a couple sits.

I've got to figure out what food source they're on right now. I suspect all the acorns where blown off early.

tree cutter 08

Oh no. Got me wondering now. I've got a terrible looking doe on trail cam. Looks like a walking skeleton. Also been smelling something dead behind the house for a couple weeks. Gonna take a walk on the creek as soon as possible. East White Co.

Northeast white county. Found 1 back in august and 9 were found in skylake the next week. Been hearing of it ever since scattered around. None dead here at the house and seeing deer but nf is slim Pickens on deer sign so far.

PappyHoel

Bump what's everyone seeing? It will be 47* opening morning.

PappyHoel

Not a shot heard anywhere opening morning in my neck of Lumpkin County. I suspect we will hear shots all over creation next Saturday morning since it's Doe days.

If you hunt Lumpkin County you only have 11 Doe days

Last edited:

josh chatham

Tree, this is not for Lumpkin but Union up on NF a few weeks ago, I saw a lot of bear sign but not much deer sign at all. And very little buck sign (saw 2 horned trees). My little boy went with me in lumpkin last week and we shot a 5 pointer. Smallest deer Ive shot in a long time but his eyes got real big and he told me to shoot so I did and glad I did! Great memory!

PappyHoel

Just checked cams. 500 pics of does, coyotes and bobcats. Not a single Buck yet.

I found some buck sign Monday, it looked a week or so old. I'm going to try that area sAaturday