2017 Oglethorpe County reports

Arrow3

Let's get the new year started....Oglethorpe County has one of , if not the best county reports here on GON....

I didn't kill a deer last season but it wasn't because I couldn't have....I passed on a bunch of small bucks and one decent 3 year old....I still had meat in the freezer from last year so there was really no reason to shoot a doe. Hoping to join an established trophy managed property this coming year but finding the right one is still up in the air....Time to do a little more duck hunting and go back to hunting my coon dog....If any of you guys wouldn't mind me removing a few coons from eating your corn, shoot me a message....:flag: Here's hoping we all have a safe, successful year!:fine:

hicktownboy

Just want to know when's a good time to look for Shed in Oglethorpe county!!

Now... We have found as many sheds the first week of January as any other weeks. Food plots prior years have been the ticket but with the lack of moisture I would check ditch/creek crossings, bedding areas and food sources.

Triple C

Thx Arrow for getting 2017 started. It takes participation to make any thread viable. I feel fortunate we have so many that participate on the OC thread each year and I enjoy being a part of it.

Really interesting 2016 season - so hot and dry early on it just didn't make for enjoyable sits. Food plots looked like a moon scape. But by late November, with decent rains our food plots came in really well. Late season saw plenty of deer in plots. My observation is that we have more deer today than we have had since 2011. As far as finding sheds, we run cameras year round and don't ever recall having a buck on camera that lost antlers this time of year. Never found a fresh shed in January on our place. We find most in March and most of those in or around food plots.

Looking forward to participating on this thread in 2017 and hope we get even more OC hunters participating.

Happy trails...
Triple C

transfixer

Hello All, I just came across this thread, haven't been active on the GON forum until recently, been hunting in Oglethorpe county since I was 16,, I'm 55 now, same tract of land. We have a small club, 366 acres, expanded to 984 for a few years, but had to let the additional acreage after about 7 or 8 yrs go cause of $$ reasons. Just have 5 guys in the club, try to really watch what we harvest, and not take too many. We saw more deer this year than in the last few, took a couple nice bucks, we have a lot of yotes though, working on doing something about that.

jbird1

Our season kind of mirrored what everyone else is saying....more deer sightings. I had become concerned for several years but the herd has rebounded nicely.

It's a different piece of property now than it had been for several decades. We've gone from a few deer and a ton of turkeys...to a ton of deer and fewer turkeys...to fewer deer and turkey and lots of yotes/hogs/dillos...and now have gone back to a good deer herd, decent amount of birds and plenty of the aforementioned nuisance species. All in all, we're just happy to be participants in the Oglethorpe woods.

revans4661

This was my 2nd year hunting in ogelthorpe. I saw alot of deer last year, and alot of young bucks this year. We are a group of 4 hunting on 225 acres. We only took 2 this year, ayearing buck and a doe. We only have 2 cameras running, but have only seen 1 yote on camera. It was tough hunting early with the heat, but I saw deer every hunt except for 2, and those were in January. Already looking forward to next year, and following this thread. I've never been a big turkey hunter, but after seeing some of the monsters that I've seen this year, I'm going to start.

Triple C

Hello All, I just came across this thread, haven't been active on the GON forum until recently, been hunting in Oglethorpe county since I was 16,, I'm 55 now, same tract of land. We have a small club, 366 acres, expanded to 984 for a few years, but had to let the additional acreage after about 7 or 8 yrs go cause of $$ reasons. Just have 5 guys in the club, try to really watch what we harvest, and not take too many. We saw more deer this year than in the last few, took a couple nice bucks, we have a lot of yotes though, working on doing something about that.

Pretty cool to be hunting the same tract of land for so long. Folks across the dirt rd from me have been leasing same tract of land since mid 70s. Oldest member is 86 and still uses a climber. Glad you joined us on the forum!

Buford_Dawg

Rabbit Hunt

Had our first rabbit hunt of 2017 yesterday. Tough hunting with the warm weather but we managed 3. Dogs ran great and we had some real good races. Appreciate Chris and Christy bringing the dogs and joining us.

Attachments

• IMG_0097.JPG
    IMG_0097.JPG
    174.2 KB · Views: 2,765

Triple C

Good stuff BD! Love that sticker on the back of the truck..."Briar Life". Think that's what it says.

transfixer

Pretty cool to be hunting the same tract of land for so long. Folks across the dirt rd from me have been leasing same tract of land since mid 70s. Oldest member is 86 and still uses a climber. Glad you joined us on the forum!

Thanks for the welcome,,,,,Yes, that tract of land feels like home to me, lots of memories there, went up there today to put out some hog bait, getting ready to go after them in a couple weeks, they've come back with a vengeance since all the rain in December, we're in the eastern part of the county, very close to the Wilkes county line, if you know where the UGA experiment/dairy farm is on 78, our lease is more or less straight back behind that farm.

Oh, and we saw a 6pt today while scouting for hogs, he still had both his antlers, I've never done much shed hunting, but may this year since I'll be up there a good bit trying to put some pork in the freezer.

Arrow3

Buford Dawg hooked me up with his friend Bubba tonight and we hunted their club for a few hours. Dogs looked pretty bad tonight but we did manage one. Enjoyed meeting Bubba and his son Blake.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1486188943995.jpg
    FB_IMG_1486188943995.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 2,496

Buford_Dawg

Good deal Brandon

Buford Dawg hooked me up with his friend Bubba tonight and we hunted their club for a few hours. Dogs looked pretty bad tonight but we did manage one. Enjoyed meeting Bubba and his son Blake.

Bubba and Blake enjoyed that I am sure. One less turkey egg getter. Hope y'all get to do hunt it more before season goes out.

Arrow3

First gobbler pics of the year. This picture is from where I killed my very first longbeard in 1991. I haven't killed a bird or even saw one here in 15 years. I noticed a little scratching and set up a camera. I hope they hang around.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1487091513898.jpg
    FB_IMG_1487091513898.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 2,364

Triple C

Becoming a rare sight around our place. Less turkeys today than at any point I can remember since 2011. Hope they hang around for you.

Buford_Dawg

Those may be the last 2 gobblers left in OC...

It is crazy how low the turkey population has gotten. We have a few birds at both my clubs, but nothing like it was in the past. I have one gobbler on camera at my SC club and a group of hens at my Clouds creek club, other than that nothing.

Arrow3

Took another turkey egg eater out of OC last night..

My pup is coming along nicely..

ADDICTED2HUNTIN

Dang I thought I was the only one. I'm getting really bummed out about not having any birds. I have gotten zero pics of any turkeys in two weeks I've had cameras out

Arrow3

Dang I thought I was the only one. I'm getting really bummed out about not having any birds. I have gotten zero pics of any turkeys in two weeks I've had cameras out

I just got in from coon hunting and checked mine while I was out....Nothing but deer and a pack of dogs on mine.

It's crazy if YOU don't have any turkeys!!