2017 Oglethorpe County reports

ADDICTED2HUNTIN

Went back down yesterday to check cards. Getting a few birds on camera. I did see a gobbler by himself on up in the morning also, just cruising around. Thought that was kinda odd to see him by hisself

ADDICTED2HUNTIN

2017 turkey season was pretty decent. Killed 2 in Oglethorpe and one in Walton. Looking forward to the 2018 season already. Got a bunch of Jake's running around my OC property

Buford_Dawg

Son has some luck...

My son got a bird yesterday. First bird we have heard gobble all year (did not gobble till after 9 am). He was with a hen and my son was able to call in the hen with gobbler in tow. Turkey sign is few and far between on both my clubs, same as last year, they pretty well gone. Congrats Addicted on your success. What few OC turkey hunters I have talked too seem to think the turkey population is pretty much depleted. No sightings or gobbling at all.

Buford_Dawg

Slim pickings on the turkeys...

My son finally got up on a hot bird several weeks back and was able to harvest it. And he has been on another bird 3 times but can not close the deal. Other than those 2 and a couple hens seen, it has been tough. Fingers crossed for a strong hatch of young ones this spring and the coyotes don't get them all.

transfixer

I've had quite a few on my trail cams the last month or two, haven't had time to devote to huntin em this year though. Been seeing lots of turkey tracks on our interior roads as well, of course we've seen plenty of yote tracks as well ! Having a problem getting my fellow members to commit to helping me cut down the yote population, seems everyone always has something else they have to do ,,, lol

frdstang90

This has been my first year turkey hunting (have said for last 10 years when deer hunting I was going to try turkey hunting in spring). I have to work every other weekend so i hunted opening weekend, last weekend and this past Sunday morning. I have heard plenty of gobbling every weekend except Sunday morning but I just haven't been able to close the deal. I didnt hear a thing Sunday. I wish I had started years ago because I am hooked.

Buford_Dawg

What part of the county are you hunting?

This has been my first year turkey hunting (have said for last 10 years when deer hunting I was going to try turkey hunting in spring). I have to work every other weekend so i hunted opening weekend, last weekend and this past Sunday morning. I have heard plenty of gobbling every weekend except Sunday morning but I just haven't been able to close the deal. I didnt hear a thing Sunday. I wish I had started years ago because I am hooked.

Been dead in Sandy Cross, Clouds creek area for most part...

Arrow3

Worst turkey season in my lifetime... I've worked 2 longbeards all season. Called in a few jakes ... I joined a 3000 acre club in Philomath figuring to kill a couple down there and not a single bird has been killed off the property. 90 % of the mornings I've went have been silent. I have been traveling all over trying to get on birds with no luck . I have hunted Redlands , Cedar Creek, Di-lane Plantation, BF grant, and Lake Russell wmas and also some Corps land. It's absolutely depressing what has happened to the turkey population.

Buford_Dawg

Congrats Arrow

Saw in the Turkey section you limited out at close of season. Nice :banana:. Tough year for me and my boys, though we did get one bird. Hopefully we see a good hatch this spring and more birds in the woods next year.

Arrow3

Saw in the Turkey section you limited out at close of season. Nice :banana:. Tough year for me and my boys, though we did get one bird. Hopefully we see a good hatch this spring and more birds in the woods next year.

Thanks Neal... yes, it was a tough season for me but I hunted my butt off and got it done the last weekend.. 2 of the birds came from Oglethorpe and 1 from Lincoln.

Attachments

• 18447098_10206963944816248_1099401168998091091_n (450 x 600).jpg
    18447098_10206963944816248_1099401168998091091_n (450 x 600).jpg
    116 KB · Views: 561
  • 18485265_10206963942976202_3350622521114951216_n.jpg
    18485265_10206963942976202_3350622521114951216_n.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 559
  • 18485943_10206963945696270_9179327497767807196_n (412 x 600).jpg
    18485943_10206963945696270_9179327497767807196_n (412 x 600).jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 561

Buford_Dawg

Just checking in...

Hadn't been down to OC in about 6 weeks. Running my son to baseball games across the southeast and then all the rain has kept me away. I understand the loggers have finished logging my clouds creek club and have left it in a mess, roads did not get graded and cleaned up and then they knocked down our gates and refuse to put them back up. We've had 4 double ladder stands taken from the property while the loggers where on site. So, now we have to invest in more stands and new posts and gates for our exterior road entrances, just another cost of being in a club I guess. Hope you all OC hunters are doing well.

red neck richie

I went down to our club Saturday. Saw some sign and lots of chantrells in the oak bottom.

Thanks for the info Chris. I will see you in a few weeks on work days. I look forward to the season and catching up with you. I think an omelet with hog sausage chantrells and cheese would be good for breakfast.

CC Rider

Got a pig this evening, making sausage tomorrow. All of the chanterelles are gone. Picked a few the other day. They were very good.

Buford_Dawg

Checked trailcams yesterday...

Pleasantly surprised to see some nice bucks on my cameras with a couple of months of growth to put on. Also, a few pictures with turkeys and poults in tow. Timber company came back last week and gated our roads in clouds creek club, so that was good to encounter as well. Overall, a good day to be in OC.