2017 Oglethorpe County reports

Buford_Dawg

Goodness...

That is a huge rattler. BTW, any of you OC guys ever out the Sandy Cross / Glades area, our camp is at intersection of Lexington/Carlton Road and Pea Ridge road. You can not miss our camp. Stop by and say Hello. We ususally there every weekend from ML weekend thru Xmas weekend. And some bow season weekends as well.

red neck richie

That is a huge rattler. BTW, any of you OC guys ever out the Sandy Cross / Glades area, our camp is at intersection of Lexington/Carlton Road and Pea Ridge road. You can not miss our camp. Stop by and say Hello. We ususally there every weekend from ML weekend thru Xmas weekend. And some bow season weekends as well.

I'm off of Lexington Rd. and Eades Rd. Is your camp the one you can see from the road on the right on Lexington with all the campers and pole barn with the burn barrel?

Buford_Dawg

Yes, that be us...

I'm off of Lexington Rd. and Eades Rd. Is your camp the one you can see from the road on the right on Lexington with all the campers and pole barn with the burn barrel?

Stop by and say hey sometime. We will be down there Saturday cleaning up camp, washing campers, getting everything done to start camping for the season.

Buford_Dawg

Not familiar with Sanders...

We have had the BBQ that is downtown Lexington several times in the past. One of our senior members loves to cook and grill out, so we generally eat dinner at camp. Lunch is a sandwich or we visit Sandy Cross cafe and grab a burger. Vesta isn't far from us so if Sanders is good, we will have to give it a try as well.

whithunter

Sander's BBQ is very good. Excellent ribs and brunswick stew. They are very friendly as well. They don't take credit/debit cards so bring cash. Definitely worth a visit if your in the area.

GAGE

GONetwork Member
Sander's BBQ is very good. Excellent ribs and brunswick stew. They are very friendly as well. They don't take credit/debit cards so bring cash. Definitely worth a visit if your in the area.

I will make it a point to try it as I pass by there every time I go to our camp.

Triple C

Gonna have to make a trip up there myself since it's only a few miles north of the farm. Did a cook on Saturday. 6 hrs at 250. This is just before I put them in a foil pan, smothered in apple juice and covered in foil for couple more hours. But...love to try BBQ joints I've never tried. Sanders is on my list.
IMG_3981 (1).jpg

killswitch

Stop by and say hey sometime. We will be down there Saturday cleaning up camp, washing campers, getting everything done to start camping for the season.

No telling how many times been down that road going to our land in Elbert Co. Nice set up you guys have there.

Arrow3

They are remodeling the place right now.

Buford_Dawg

Night Hunters

Apparently there were arrests by DNR in OC of multiple individuals night hunting on crop depredation permits and killing over their allotted numbers and also killing bucks. Apparently, the permits only allow does. I am not familiar with crop depredation so have no clue how it works. Article(s) recently published in the OC Echo according to a GA Hunting Facebook page I saw today. Then a buddy in my club notified our club of apparently another incident in last few weeks. Hopefully they are not in my areas, heck we don't have enough deer to support crop depredation permitting :crazy:

You heard anything on this Arrow?

Arrow3

Apparently there were arrests by DNR in OC of multiple individuals night hunting on crop depredation permits and killing over their allotted numbers and also killing bucks. Apparently, the permits only allow does. I am not familiar with crop depredation so have no clue how it works. Article(s) recently published in the OC Echo according to a GA Hunting Facebook page I saw today. Then a buddy in my club notified our club of apparently another incident in last few weeks. Hopefully they are not in my areas, heck we don't have enough deer to support crop depredation permitting :crazy:

You heard anything on this Arrow?

Yeah I know all about it. The guys were not from the county . It happened in the Stephens/Maxeys area.

Hunter25

Had a guy show me a pic a few weeks back of 8 or 10 that came from Sandy Cross area bean field, over half were bucks a couple of pretty nice ones. The meat will be consumed and his kids had a good time but not sure the deer herd can stand much of that.

transfixer

Went to the lease today to do some mowing around camp, mowed a few trails through the woods, set up a blind for bow season, hasn't rained there in at least a couple weeks, maybe more, just about all the mud holes are dried up, Hogs are concentrating in the low lying areas, they been tearing up one of our hardwood bottoms, looks like someone went through there with a set of double harrows! Oglethorpe county needs some rain!

Buford_Dawg

Spent the day in Clouds creek for a club workday

yesterday. Had a great time, got alot of work done, stands are set and ready to hunt. Of our 15 members, 13 showed up and worked their tails off. Roads and trails cleared. All that is left is to plant foodplots on our 9 plots there, I think we decided 3 saturdays from now to do it. I pulled all my trailcam cards and not a shooter on camera. I had been watching 5 really nice bucks all summer and over last 3 weeks not a picture of a decent buck. Got me somewhat concerned. One of my members said some of the recent nighthunting was within a couple of miles of our property, hopefully they didnt bushwhack some of the nice bucks we had been seeing.

transfixer

I pulled all my trailcam cards and not a shooter on camera. I had been watching 5 really nice bucks all summer and over last 3 weeks not a picture of a decent buck. Got me somewhat concerned. One of my members said some of the recent nighthunting was within a couple of miles of our property, hopefully they didnt bushwhack some of the nice bucks we had been seeing.

Had the same thing happen to me, pulled cards yesterday and only one buck on cam, it was a 4pt, last card pull two weeks ago I had 3 or 4 nice 8pts, one 10pt and numerous yearling bucks, its like they quit coming around ? but I also quit putting out corn ,didn't put any out at all two weeks ago, and crab apples are beginning to drop and a few muscadines, so I'm hoping that is part of the reason.