2017 Oglethorpe County reports

transfixer

Headed to Oglethorpe county in the am, this weather has me raring to go ! Hopefully I'll have a story to tell, or pic to show come Sunday evening. Good Luck all !

Buford_Dawg

Good luck...

We are heading down this evening after work as well. Hunt in the AM then workday starts at 10 on our SC club. We are continuing to see a good number of hogs moving thru our property on our trailcams over the summer, so we may have more shooting opportunities this fall :bounce:

transfixer

Disappointing weekend on our lease for opening weekend, weather was perfect Sat morning, just didn't seem to be anything moving, wind got up Sat afternoon and continued with some gusto Sunday morning, Pulled trail cams and activity seems to have trailed off some from a few weeks ago, even the hogs seem to have vanished from our property ? Maybe some rain over the next couple days will liven things up a bit ,,

Buford_Dawg

Weekend...

My son hunting Saturday AM and saw a lone doe. Our club workday went well, got alot done and meet several new members. Got all my stands ready to hunt, hoping IRMA doesnt cause to much damage. Anticipate we may have to cut up some down trees here and there but hopefully that all. It was a beautiful day Saturday for sure and the dogs won a big game, so all in all a great weekend.

red neck richie

Hunted Saturday. Only seen a young 6pt and a small pig. Got out of the stand about 7:30 and headed back to the truck. When I got to the truck I noticed 5 big pigs in the back of the field I parked in. I used the truck for cover and crept up to the hood and whacked one with my crossbow right behind the shoulder. He dropped and flopped a few times. Then to my surprise he got up and hobbled into the woods. I gave him to expire thinking he wouldn't be far. I knew it was a good hit. I followed blood to a creek and lost the trail. By then it was pitch black and called off the search. Came back the next morning and looked some more. I couldn't find him. That's only the second animal I couldn't find. I was bummed I thought I had some breakfast sausage for the next couple months. But that's bow hunting. Next time I'm gonna bring my rifle as well.

Buford_Dawg

Check your stands...

We had numerous stands that got dislocated from the trees due to IRMA and had to be put back up. And numerous downed trees across our roads in our clubs that required chainsaw work. Got all our foodplots done this weekend as well. And got to run over the UGA game in between all the work. All in all, a nice weekend.

Triple C

Surprisingly, we had much less tree damage that what I expected. Had a large pine that fell across the split rail fence to the entrance of our west property and a few pines throughout the stand but nothing major. No large oaks fell.

Almost finished planting this past weekend. Planted brassicas a couple of weeks earlier and they are out of the ground. Planted wheat, oats and white clover this past weekend. Got one more clover plot to plant and the fields in front of the cabin that we'll plant in wheat n a pure stand of clover in one section. Just noticed the 60% chance of rain on Friday is now at 20% and nothing in sight so hope I didn't plant to early.

jbird1

Surprisingly, we had much less tree damage that what I expected. Had a large pine that fell across the split rail fence to the entrance of our west property and a few pines throughout the stand but nothing major. No large oaks fell.

Almost finished planting this past weekend. Planted brassicas a couple of weeks earlier and they are out of the ground. Planted wheat, oats and white clover this past weekend. Got one more clover plot to plant and the fields in front of the cabin that we'll plant in wheat n a pure stand of clover in one section. Just noticed the 60% chance of rain on Friday is now at 20% and nothing in sight so hope I didn't plant to early.

Sounds like you've got it goin' on over there! Like you, I was up Saturday for a post Irma inspection and I was pleasantly surprised that no bigger trees were down. I brought the Husky just in case but never had to crank her thank goodness.

Arrow3

It's hot in Oglethorpe County, I know that!!

transfixer

It's hot in Oglethorpe County, I know that!!

Something I've never understood, its always hotter over there by two or three degrees than it is where I live here in West Ga, add to that our lease is nothing but planted pines, which no wind blows through, so that makes it even worse!

Buford_Dawg

Finally got in several hunts...

Hunted Friday evening and Saturday AM, saw a doe during each hunt. Could have taken the doe on Saturday but I was further back in the woods than I wanted to drag one :rofl:
It sure was hot on both hunts. Looks like this coming weekend we are going to see 50 degree weather. Still have not found the first lick of buck sign anywhere in the woods and my white oak patches do not appear to have many acorns this year. Nothing dropping at this time. Have not had a shooter buck on camera now in over a month, they just disappeared.

Buford_Dawg

Nice weekend again...

Hunted Friday thru Sunday AM. Saw lots of does on both my clubs. No bucks. Deer really moved well on Saturday evening and Sunday AM with the colder weather. Killed a big Copperhead on my Smithsonia club Saturday evening as I was leaving the club. You guys be careful and wear your snake boots.

Attachments

• Copperhead 2017.JPG
    Copperhead 2017.JPG
    221.7 KB · Views: 428

transfixer

Extremely dry in the woods, Oglethorpe needs some rain ! Not a lot of movement in the woods, what there was seemed to be in the middle of the day, moved cameras around to try and figure out whats going on.

Triple C

Got lucky on planting this year. Brassicas planted ahead of Irma are doing great. Grains and clover planted after Irma with plenty of moisture in the ground are well on their way. Hope forecast for rain this weekend holds up!
09300723 (1).jpg

09270296.jpg

Cdy00349.jpg

transfixer

I have been waiting for some rain to plant a couple small plots, tilled up a couple weeks ago, hoping I can get up there early enough Friday to till again and throw some seed down by Sat , ahead of the predicted rain Sun and Monday.

eman1885

Didn't hunt Friday cause it was too hot , and wasn't gonna hunt yesterday, but decided to give it a go. The oaks were raining acorns, and right at dark I had deer come in all around me. The first and only one to give me a shot was a nice buck, and while the shot didn't hit where it was supposed to, it did hit something it needed to. The buck only went 60 yards before giving out. I've noticed lots of scrapes popping up in the woods I hunt over the past week. With the soybeans around my parents place dying off and the oaks dropping, things are getting good. Here's the buck I shot...
0IVvP0x.jpg

Triple C

Didn't hunt Friday cause it was too hot , and wasn't gonna hunt yesterday, but decided to give it a go. The oaks were raining acorns, and right at dark I had deer come in all around me. The first and only one to give me a shot was a nice buck, and while the shot didn't hit where it was supposed to, it did hit something it needed to. The buck only went 60 yards before giving out. I've noticed lots of scrapes popping up in the woods I hunt over the past week. With the soybeans around my parents place dying off and the oaks dropping, things are getting good. Here's the buck I shot...
0IVvP0x.jpg

Very nice! Congrats on a fine buck. That looks like a Dan Quillian longbow.