2017 Oglethorpe County reports

Triple C

Nice to see...

Thought these critters were extinct around our place. Glad to see a few on camera lately.
10050638.jpg

Buford_Dawg

Nice buck...

Didn't hunt Friday cause it was too hot , and wasn't gonna hunt yesterday, but decided to give it a go. The oaks were raining acorns, and right at dark I had deer come in all around me. The first and only one to give me a shot was a nice buck, and while the shot didn't hit where it was supposed to, it did hit something it needed to. The buck only went 60 yards before giving out. I've noticed lots of scrapes popping up in the woods I hunt over the past week. With the soybeans around my parents place dying off and the oaks dropping, things are getting good. Here's the buck I shot...

0IVvP0x.jpg

Congrats on a fine bow harvest. Good luck rest of the season.

CCC, those things are extinct around our clubs as well, but apparently several of our bowhunters have seen a few this fall.

Triple C

Congrats on a fine bow harvest. Good luck rest of the season.

CCC, those things are extinct around our clubs as well, but apparently several of our bowhunters have seen a few this fall.

BD...Turkeys are a beautiful sight these days. 6 years ago you couldn't sit on stand without a flock coming thru. No idea what happened but definitely a crash in the population. Hope I keep getting pics. :biggrin3:

eman1885

Thanks guys. Nice pic CCC. The bow is actually one that I made, not a Quillian's. Though i have shot quite a few of his bows

jbird1

didn't hunt friday cause it was too hot , and wasn't gonna hunt yesterday, but decided to give it a go. The oaks were raining acorns, and right at dark i had deer come in all around me. The first and only one to give me a shot was a nice buck, and while the shot didn't hit where it was supposed to, it did hit something it needed to. The buck only went 60 yards before giving out. I've noticed lots of scrapes popping up in the woods i hunt over the past week. With the soybeans around my parents place dying off and the oaks dropping, things are getting good. Here's the buck i shot...
0ivvp0x.jpg

sweet!

Arrow3

Here's an Oglethorpe County deer I got working a scrape this past week. I have some history with him. He never shows up in the daylight

jbird1

Great video....love the sound. I may have to start capturing more video instead of pics. Good luck with him!

Seavy

Hey y’all newly joined but I have been visiting your post for a while. Just wanted to spread the word, I killed a 53” rattlesnake Monday. He was in the nook of a oak tree 5’ off the ground. Keep your eyes open never heard of rattlers climbing. It was in the Wolfskin area. That’s a fine deer Brandon hope you get him!

Buford_Dawg

Well, it is about to get real

Leaving about 3pm to head to Sandy Cross and give it a go this weekend with the ML. Still way to warm to get overly excited, but gotta hunt when time allows. Looks like a cold front coming in about Tuesday, would be nice to be able to hunt mid next week, but gotta pay the bills first. That is a nice buck Brandon, hope you get a chance at him in the daylight, imagine around Nov 6th thru 13th.

Seavy, welcome to the forum, post up and alot of snakes being seen in OC this year, I killed a huge copperhead several weeks back on one of my clubs.

Good luck this season fellows, if you ever want to meet up at SC cafe for breakfast or lunch, hit me up. I will be down every weekend from now till Thanksgiving.

Arrow3

Hey y’all newly joined but I have been visiting your post for a while. Just wanted to spread the word, I killed a 53” rattlesnake Monday. He was in the nook of a oak tree 5’ off the ground. Keep your eyes open never heard of rattlers climbing. It was in the Wolfskin area. That’s a fine deer Brandon hope you get him!

You must be the gentleman my wife talked to. She told me about that snake.

Arrow3

Neal, hit me up if you need help getting a big one out :D

Took this pic this morning in SC

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1507917056379.jpg
    FB_IMG_1507917056379.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 522

red neck richie

Bd, is that your camper with the carport over it and the nice deck in front? How many members and acres yall have over there?

Buford_Dawg

Rr...

That is my best buddies camper. He just had the shelter and porch built out. I am thinking of doing same here soon. Just priced it this weekend. We actually dont hunt there at our campsite. We used to lease land all around it, but paper companies sold out and private landowners changed hands so we just have a great campsite. Our properties that we hunt now are right down the road in the Sandy Cross community and then over in the Smithsonia community. About 5 minutes from our camp, so it is not bad at all. I do get the liberty of turkey and small game hunting several of the properties around our camp, so that is good during those seasons.

We had a great turnout in camp this weekend and saw lots of deer between us. My youngest son saw 4 or 5 different bucks and several does and I saw numerous deer on all my hunts. Just nothing to meet our club rules. With the cold front pushing thru this week, should get the bucks roaming around.

jbird1

Great to hear the deer are moving good. I'll slowly be packing all week to hopefully roll out Thursday mid-day. As luck would have it, Thursday is early release and Friday is a teacher work day. My young gun (15 yr. old) and my forward observer (8 yr. old) are counting the minutes. It appears we are looking at some Chamber of Commerce type weather and a New Moon so things are coming together nicely for a glorious opening weekend. I can already smell the fire bucket and hear the stories that will no doubt be repeated around it as they are every year....some stories never get old...haha. Good stuff.

red neck richie

That is my best buddies camper. He just had the shelter and porch built out. I am thinking of doing same here soon. Just priced it this weekend. We actually dont hunt there at our campsite. We used to lease land all around it, but paper companies sold out and private landowners changed hands so we just have a great campsite. Our properties that we hunt now are right down the road in the Sandy Cross community and then over in the Smithsonia community. About 5 minutes from our camp, so it is not bad at all. I do get the liberty of turkey and small game hunting several of the properties around our camp, so that is good during those seasons.

We had a great turnout in camp this weekend and saw lots of deer between us. My youngest son saw 4 or 5 different bucks and several does and I saw numerous deer on all my hunts. Just nothing to meet our club rules. With the cold front pushing thru this week, should get the bucks roaming around.

That's awesome. We are starting to see some more deer moving at our club as well. We still have a lot of hogs too. I think there was 5 or 6 killed this weekend alone.

Triple C

Not sure about how I feel about bears in our neck of the woods. Another hunting opportunity and more wildlife diversity on the upside. Downside will be destroyed fruit trees and such. Buddies up north that deal with them don't like em very well.