2017 Oglethorpe County reports

Arrow3

I've got a buddy with a bear on camera in the Stephens area.

Buford_Dawg

Ccc...

That bear Stickman posted appears to be in your area? Keep your guard up ::ke:

And let me say I sure do appreciate all you OC hunters posting, this is one of the few county forums that still gets alot of attention. This cold weather sure does make me want to get in the woods. Will be headed towards OC tomorrow evening.

Triple C

That bear Stickman posted appears to be in your area? Keep your guard up ::ke:

And let me say I sure do appreciate all you OC hunters posting, this is one of the few county forums that still gets alot of attention. This cold weather sure does make me want to get in the woods. Will be headed towards OC tomorrow evening.

That bear is within spittin' distance as the crow flies BD! Been telling my boys it's just a matter of time till one of us encounters a bear on the property.

As for the OC posters...I'm with you 100%. Love the fact that so many guys that live/hunt in Oglethorpe County take the time to post on here. 1st thread I check when I log on is here! :cheers:

CC Rider

My favorite thread too! I always enjoy seeing everyone's comments or how their hunts went. CCC, I bet if that bear is around the hogs might leave.

Triple C

My favorite thread too! I always enjoy seeing everyone's comments or how their hunts went. CCC, I bet if that bear is around the hogs might leave.

Thinkin' I would welcome that trade! Hope you guys have a great season this year in our neck of the woods!

CC Rider

Looks like it might be a good year. I haven't been able to spend the time there this year that I did last year, hope to see you soon.

Buford_Dawg

Hey CCC, finally bought a cart

Went to buy a mule and the guy sold it as I was traveling to look it over. Then meet a guy that refabs carts and he talked me into this one. I think it will work for me and the price was right. Very quiet and extremely powerful for electric. Gotta do some additions (Off road wheel and tire package being shipped today). Hope to install them this weekend while I am at camp. Then a slight lift and probably adding a front basket to finish it off. The sage green color should go well in the woods.

See it at http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=907543

rbday1989

hope everyone has a safe weekend opening weekend of gun season ready to see some big bucks down, haven't been to the club in a couple of weeks ready to see how the deer are moving and bucks getting ready for the rut!!

Triple C

Went to buy a mule and the guy sold it as I was traveling to look it over. Then meet a guy that refabs carts and he talked me into this one. I think it will work for me and the price was right. Very quiet and extremely powerful for electric. Gotta do some additions (Off road wheel and tire package being shipped today). Hope to install them this weekend while I am at camp. Then a slight lift and probably adding a front basket to finish it off. The sage green color should go well in the woods.

See it at http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php? t=907543

If it’s anything like ours u will love it! I’m in Myrtle Beach on biz trip so gonna miss opening weekend but will be checking in tmrw with son n this thread to see how opening weekend goes.

rbday1989

Had a good opening weekend at the club!! A lot of guys seen some small bucks and one guy seen a nice 9pt but let him walk bc he was young! I had a 6pt come in bumping does and had another buck grunting but never seen him! All and all it was a great opening weekend looking forward to the rest of the season!

oglebuck747

The family and i took a trip down to Disney this past week. I only got to hunt Sunday morning. I saw one doe and one spike. My old man saw 4 does and a potential buck that was scoping out the ladies.

transfixer

See it at http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=907543

This is my first year using an electric golf cart for hunting, and I have to say I wish I had bought one years ago, mine is lifted with 22in tires, 48v with a 400amp controller and I have been able to go pretty much anywhere I wanted to, even climbing over downed tree limbs and small logs . The coolest thing to me is riding up on deer that don't realize I'm there until I'm within 40 or 50 yds, lol,, even then they don't really spook, just take a couple bounds and stop and look back at you, like " what are you ? " I think you'll really like it.

transfixer

Myself and another member went to the club last Wednesday evening, hunted thurs and fri with muzzleloaders, then brought out the rifles Sat morning. other guy shot a small buck for the freezer, I saw a few does, not much movement on our lease, not much activity on our cameras either, and whats there is mostly nighttime, I'm hoping the continued cold weather will liven things up on our club. My food plots I put in a couple weeks ago before the rain have taken off ! Looking good ! Overseeded a little this weekend, supposed to rain again Monday and Tues, hope this weekday rain pattern continues, it'll really help the food plots .

Acorns still aren't dropping either, only ones hitting the ground are the ones the squirrels are cutting, hogs are still playing hide and seek with me,, I'm beginning to believe there is no such thing as patterning wild hogs ,,:)

Seavy

This was a exciting weekend saw a lot of action in both places where I hunt. I also had some heartache shot a shooter buck at least a 9 or ten maybe more 100 yrd shot and it was a good vital shot. 150% sure I hit from his reaction. He left no visible blood trail and I shot him in a bed after he was messing with several does. So no real noticeable trail or destruction to follow that I could be sure was his. Searched over 10 hrs for him with no fortune. Anyways I am considering trying to shoot the shoulder shot from now on and wondered if any of you did and what your opinion was. Sorry for the long post

Buford_Dawg

Opening weekend

It was a great weekend for our crew. We saw lots of deer and had alot of fun at camp. As I get older, I seem to enjoy the camp and the good food as much, if not more than the actual time in the treestand :bounce: Most of our wives joined us this weekend and we had numerous kids and young adults in camp. Some of our camp pictures included here.

Now as far as hunting, I hunted both clubs with my sons and we all saw deer almost every hunt, but no shooters. We did have a real nice 10 point taken on our SC club by a young man, his biggest, probably 110 give or take a few points. The weather was a little on the warm side, but overall a outstanding weekend. The rain and colder weather coming this week ought to really get the bucks moving good.

Transfixer, we gave the golfcart a heavy workout this weekend, it performed great and surprised me at some of the places we took it. It is stock controller and motor, but apparently, the RXV model seems to have alot of torque and it certainly pulled some big hills.

Seavy,

Sorry to hear your misfortune.

I was taught by my grandfather to pull right middle of the shoulder with my high powered rifle and have done that for 40+ years now. Break the shoulder bones and in most cases take out both front legs and the bone shattering the heart and lungs. Has worked 99.9 % of the time for me. Sometimes, you don't get the perfect shot opportunity and I have shot many behind the shoulder as well with rifle, just as I would with a bow. It just depends on the situation, but I love a shoulder shot if given. Everyone has their own opinion on shot selection, so I am 100% positive my answer will be different than others.

Attachments

• IMG_0981.JPG
    IMG_0981.JPG
    173.1 KB · Views: 677
  • IMG_0982.JPG
    IMG_0982.JPG
    176.4 KB · Views: 667
  • IMG_0973.JPG
    IMG_0973.JPG
    177.5 KB · Views: 686
  • IMG_0977.JPG
    IMG_0977.JPG
    114.3 KB · Views: 671

georgia_home

Absolutely!

As I get older, I seem to enjoy the camp and the good food as much, if not more than the actual time in the treestand :bounce:

Steven037

Absolutely. I think more and more every stand I hang I’m thinking if it’s gonna be a good place for one of the boys to get a shot at a good deer. I love cooking and hanging out at the cabin as much as hunting. Didn’t get to hunt the OC this weekend but will definitely be out next weekend.

Triple C

Love this thread! I was traveling opening weekend and missed the firearms opener. Brooks hunted Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning. I drove out to farm Sunday to pick up gear for a South Dakota trip today and checked cams while I was there. Food plots look fantastic.

BD...I'm with you. I love the habitat work and cooking for the crew. Would rather my grandson or sons do the trigger work anymore but I sure love hanging with them when we're hunting. Here's a couple of food plot pics from last week.
10200284.jpg

10210261.jpg

10190129.jpg

IMG_0038.jpg

transfixer

As I get older, I seem to enjoy the camp and the good food as much, if not more than the actual time in the treestand :bounce:

Definitely ! Myself and another member were just talking about this over the weekend, we've both hunted this lease since we were teenagers, always camping when we hunt as we both live a good ways away from the lease. We feel like old school throwbacks now cause just about all of our other members drive down in the morning, hunt, and go back home, or hunt all day and go back home at dark. We were also discussing why is it we always cook more food when we're at the deer club than we do when we are at home ? lol