2017 Oglethorpe County reports

Duff

Wow! What a cool looking buck! Congrats!!

transfixer

Congrats ! looks like he's got some age on him , and that rack is cool looking ! I've got one on camera across the road from you with a rack very similar looking, but not as tall or wide, I guess we've got some weird genetics around there ,, lol that one is probably the daddy to one I'm talking about.

Triple C

Todd...That is one cool rack!!! Glad to see u posting. Just got home after spending Thur night until today at farm. Great weekend. Saw bucks on every sit n 3 of em were right on the heels of a doe. I’m shooting a recurve so kills seldom happen but man do I️ luv seeing the boys in pursuit of the girls! I’ll try n post a few pics later tonite. Left my laptop at Farm n wife is bringing with her later this evening. Really thrilled with the number of deer we have using our property. I’ve put a ton of work into the place over the past 6 years and glad to say it gets better every year. And...Like said before, really enjoy our OC thread and a big shout out to all of you that contribute!

Buford_Dawg

Heck of a weekend...

Todd, good to see you post. Neat buck, not many like him with those characteristics. Dont stay gone so long next time :)

We had a absolutely great weekend in our camp. There were 4 bucks taken on my clubs and all 4 were strong bucks. 3 of them are going on the wall for sure and not sure about the 4th. I am not posting pictures as I ,nor my sons harvested the deer. We only got to take pictures and help our fellow members celebrate. Deer were in full chase mode both Saturday and Sunday on both my clubs and many bucks were seen. Lots of young bucks followed by the bigger boys bringing up the rear. Strongly suggest you get in the woods now if you want a chance at a big one that has dropped his guard down following/chasing a doe. Of the 4 bucks taken this weekend, it appears we only had 1, maybe 2 on a trailcam over the last month. 2 for sure appear to be newcomers hot on trail of a doe. You just never know what is going to show up when it gets this time of year. Good luck fellow OC hunters, I will be back down Thursday evening after the rain pushes thru for hopefully another eventful weekend.

red neck richie

Still seeing a lot of hogs. They were in the middle of a cow pasture so I didn't want to risk a shot. The biggest was about 200 lbs. I watched two boars fighting for about 20 minutes which was pretty cool as I had never witnessed that before. I was running low on venison so I took this 5 point with no brow tines. he was out cruising. Pre rut is on, full rut in the next week or two.

Attachments

• 20171105_102842.jpg
    20171105_102842.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 494

CC Rider

Still seeing a lot of hogs. They were in the middle of a cow pasture so I didn't want to risk a shot. The biggest was about 200 lbs. I watched two boars fighting for about 20 minutes which was pretty cool as I had never witnessed that before. I was running low on venison so I took this 5 point with no brow tines. he was out cruising. Pre rut is on, full rut in the next week or two.

Were you in your stand when you saw the hogs fighting?

georgia_home

The guys at our place got a pretty good buck this weekend at About 1100. Hanging with a doe. Looks like a nice 8.

jbird1

Wow!....sounds like some OC hunters had some great success this weekend! I love it when a plan comes together..haha.

We had a GREAT weekend in NE Oglethorpe as well. Not one, but TWO youth hunters scored on their first ever deer. It was whole bunch of fun having the weekend be about some young guns getting on the board. Two great shots with clean kills and memories for a lifetime were made. Good Stuff for sure.

We didn't have and mature bucks hit the ground but the young bucks were out in full force. It's hard to pinpoint the exact phase of the rut the deer on our property were in with so few hunts but it's the right time to be in the woods, no doubt. The deer we killed were quartered and coolered so didn't make it by any of the processors for a look-see. I imagine that the yards were full with a few bruisers here and there. I did have a single, 55 gallon drum of a pig come barreling past me Friday evening about 4:30. I didn't get a long look but I assume it was a boar...sounded like a herd of elephants cutting through the timber.

We'll get back after 'em next weekend and look forward to everyone's reports.

Seavy

This weekend the temperature was awfully hot was like hunting in coastal Ga. Saturday saw nothing Sunday had 3 bucks come in checkout some scent and drag I set out. One I think was the deer I thought I hit a few weeks back. Was a relief to see him alive and well. Nice set of points just to young, took a nice 8 an hour later. I haven’t noticed an real doe separation yet, but the bucks are anxious and moving a lot where I hunt. This weekend with the cold front coming in should be really exciting!

revans4661

Been sick to my stomach all day. I missed a big 12 this morning. He was chasing a doe. I heard him before I saw him. He was grunting in stride. The doe and him were on top of me before I knew it. The 30 plus years of hunting could not suppress the buck fever, and I rushed a shot in fear that I wouldn't get another. I searched for any sign for 3 hours and didn't see a thing. Heartbreaking. Needless to say they are chasing hard in n. Ogelthorpe. As I was sitting there in disbelief, a small spike came through on the trail of the same doe. Not 30 sec later, a small 6... He almost got popped out of frustration, but I refrained. I will be back out in the morning. If you hunt north ogelthorpe, I would suggest you do the same. And may you have better aim than I...

Seavy

I know how you feel Revans, but it’s better to know you missed him, than hit him and never find him. Perhaps you will get a second chance at him soon. I have to agree; my wife almost hit a doe being chased last night in her car. Get out in the woods now whenever you can.

frdstang90

Wanted to share cool photo

I got this photo on my trail cam last week and wanted to share. I think I am going to print out a copy and frame. We have seen the most turkeys on our property that we have seen in the last 10 years.

Attachments

• IMG_1378.jpg
    IMG_1378.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 527

Arrow3

Those things are a nuisance... I'll be glad to help get rid of them for you. :)

Buford_Dawg

Weekend...

Spent last 3 days down at camp again. We continued to see deer on every hunt and had 2 bucks taken this last week(end). My youngest son got a decent 8 point on Saturday in Sandy Cross. 13 inch inside spread, around a 100 inch buck. It was running a doe hard and he had to make a quick decision. The other buck was a 16 inch inside 9 point and was taken our my Clouds creek club. Personally, I saw 9 different bucks over the course of my 3 day hunt, nothing bigger than a 6 point. Most of these sightings included doe (either running them or following behind a few minutes). I saw 3 bucks running a doe this AM, so I know it is still going on strong right now. Still a great time to be in the woods, good luck fellow OC hunters.