2017 Oglethorpe County reports

rbday1989

Hunted Thursday - Friday seen 30 deer seen 4 different 8pt rattled in a 6pt and seen a spike! Seen some bucks chasing hard! Seen a what looked to be a main frame 10pt I'd say he's 130 class buck heavy mass good G2 and G3 he was dogging a doe and I yelled twice and could get him to stop! I told my buddy Friday evening he need to hunt in there Saturday and Sunday be it was a hot stop and it paid off he killed this 11pt with split brow tines!! It was a fun weekend at the club!! Good luck everyone

Attachments

• IMG_0151.jpg
    IMG_0151.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 952
  • IMG_0150.jpg
    IMG_0150.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 964

jbird1

Great to see some more OC pretty boys hittin' the dirt!

We had another great weekend in the Northern part of the county. I haven't seen the camp that full in many years...it was great to see. My young gun had an interesting hunt Friday night. He was hunting OTG and texted me early on that he had hogs on the scene. I asked him not to shoot one and to wait on a the buck he's been hunting. A little while later I hear him shoot. Then I get a text saying "big hog running right at me...had to shoot." Anyway, the way he tells it, it was a single hog that came out of the beaver pond. He tried to wave it off but it kept coming. So he shot it between the eyes at around 15 yds. and dropped it in it's tracks. He said he was scared and after I got to the hog, I could understand why. It was twice the size of my son and had some nice cutters. I would say 250 lb Boar if he was an ounce. I'm not a technical guy and have never been able to post pics on this site you'll have to use you're imagination.

On the deer front, several of us saw some smaller bucks chasing but not any mature bucks. I'm sure they were out there, just didn't run past any of us. Gonna try and get back out the Friday after Thanksgiving for a few sits. As always, look forward to all the OC reports.

ADDICTED2HUNTIN

I hunted Wednesday thru Sunday. Seen good numbers of deer. Best one being a beautiful 10pt that had a broken G3 and G4 on his left side, if not for that he would have gotten a second look for sure. Not a lot of rutting activity just small bucks running with their noses on the ground. Not sure if it's over or still not here?
I did manage to kill 3 hogs those few days. Wish they would just go away!

Dallen92

Hunted the 10th through the 15th and they were completely locked down on our piece. Killed a good 8 point locked on a doe at 350 yds out in the cut. He was just following her watching every step she made. We saw very little chasing overall except for young ones. Some younger bucks seen but the mature bucks were all holding tight with the does in the thick. You could hear the bucks grunting in the thickets just never would show themselves.
8 point R1.jpg

Last edited:

Triple C

Nice bucks guys! Didn't make it down this weekend. Looking forward to getting down this week for some sits and Thanksgiving.

Arrow3

I have seen plenty of deer, just not what I deem a shooter....I haven't shot a deer of any kind since early in the 2015 season so the does better be ready :D .... Gotta kill a few and fill the freezer up. I'm still gonna hold off a little bit and see if I can catch the tail end. I still haven't seen hardly any rutting activity.

transfixer

I have seen plenty of deer, just not what I deem a shooter....I haven't shot a deer of any kind since early in the 2015 season so the does better be ready :D .... Gotta kill a few and fill the freezer up. I'm still gonna hold off a little bit and see if I can catch the tail end. I still haven't seen hardly any rutting activity.

Arrow , what part of the county are you hunting ? We're in the southeast corner, close to the Wilkes county line, I haven't been to the lease in almost three weeks due to one thing or another, but am going tomorrow for the rest of the week, my guys have been seeing scrapes, and a couple of bucks have been taken , but looked like they were just starting into the rut, hocks not yet dark or stinky,

Ours has been starting the week or so before Thanksgiving and lasting till the week after the last few years, hoping its the same this year.

Arrow3

Arrow , what part of the county are you hunting ? We're in the southeast corner, close to the Wilkes county line, I haven't been to the lease in almost three weeks due to one thing or another, but am going tomorrow for the rest of the week, my guys have been seeing scrapes, and a couple of bucks have been taken , but looked like they were just starting into the rut, hocks not yet dark or stinky,

Ours has been starting the week or so before Thanksgiving and lasting till the week after the last few years, hoping its the same this year.

I hunt some in the Sandy Cross area and my big club is near the Taliaferro line in Philomath

Todd E

My OC acquaintances.....check out what Pop got.
A buck we watched grow all year and called Niner.

Attachments

• 23658758_1662048740493687_8202905498130741009_n.jpg
    23658758_1662048740493687_8202905498130741009_n.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 659
  • 23754829_1662048757160352_3256394095803739922_n.jpg
    23754829_1662048757160352_3256394095803739922_n.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 649

Buford_Dawg

Latest...

Been in the woods since last Friday AM. Saw deer again almost every sit with numerous young bucks seen. I just cant seem to see a buck in which I can take the safety off on my clubs this year. Encountered bucks chasing again on Sunday and Monday AMs, but they were young. We had 2 shooter bucks shot at in the last week, one was missed, the other apparently was hit and bleed some but was not found. Scrapes have gone dormant for the most part. I believe it is on the down hill slide in the Sandy Cross and Smithsonia areas now. Be tougher hunting going forward. I may take several weeks off and regroup after this weekend. Headed back tonight with my whole family to hunt the next couple days. I see some nice bucks taken, WTG Todd's Dad and Dallen.

jbird1

Yep....another one of those OC pretty boys...congrats to POP!

Taking my family of 5 out tomorrow morning for 2 nights. We're gonna meet up with a few other members families...should make for a full house! I hope the deer are still chasing some with a possible secondary rut setting up. In any event, hope everyone else can sneak out catch a few more November hunts. I have a feeling a few more monarchs will slip up this weekend. Good hunting to everyone.

Buford_Dawg

Can you say Big Boar...

Well, I hadnt seen a good enough buck to take the safety off this season, but Saturday AM just after daylight I heard some rustling in the leaves about 6:45 and out stepped a big old black boar hog at about 50 yards. We had this ole boy on trailcams around the club since summertime and he finally got caught out in daylight. First hog our club has ever taken off the club with rifle, they showed up this summer. As far as deer, continue to see young bucks chasing. My son saw a potential shooter in clouds creek club Friday AM, but he was running a doe too fast to get a shot off. I am taking a break from it, will be back down in a couple of weeks. Good Luck OC hunters, it will be tougher from now on.

Attachments

• IMG_1067.JPG
    IMG_1067.JPG
    155.8 KB · Views: 500

Triple C

BD...Those old boars are as wily as any mature deer. Speaking of pigs, 2 weeks ago my son shot a 120ish lb sow. Rather than leaving it for the buzzards, we decided to have it processed for breakfast sausage. Hauled it to Firetower and asked for medium spice with sage. Picked it up on the way down last Wednesday and WOW!!! Really good stuff! Shout out to Firetower for making great sausage. Definitely gonna take a couple more to them this season.

Just got home after spending Thanksgiving holidays at the farm. No deer on the ground but lots of deer seen and surprising to me...still a lot of chasing. I saw 5 bucks from the stand Saturday morning all cruising for does. Gonna try and post up some pics later today.

revans4661

Hunted last friday, saw 7 does, 3 bucks, and decided to take a decent 8. We are over run with turkeys right now! I have seen or heard them every sit this year. Never been a big turkey hunter, but may have to start...

Triple C

Summation of our 2017 season so far...Lots of deer, plenty of bucks, only 1 shooter that keeps eluding us. Can't complain on the number of deer we have using our property. Plenty of bucks and does. We plan on harvesting a few more does before the end of season but with the exception of 1 buck...all the others are getting a pass unless something shows up that hasn't been on camera to this point.

13 yr old grandson took his 2nd bow kill about 2 weeks ago.
IMG_E4437.jpg

Last Wednesday, he was hunting at a friend's club with plans to drop him off at our place on their way home. When they arrived, my grandson and his friend decided to see if they could get on a hog. His friend had never killed a pig so off they went. Bout 30 minutes later they were back at the cabin with pork on the ground. They gutted it and took it home. Sent pics the next day after smoking one of the hind quarters and it looked awesome.
IMG_4466.jpg

Here's a few pics of our food plots this year. Weather has played a huge role in the quality of our plots this year. Best fall plantings we've ever done. And, I put out more white clover this fall than any previous year. Gonna have plenty of clover throughout 2018 to keep em happy and coming.
Hour Glass.jpg

11090285.jpg

IMG_4464.jpg

1122E0868.jpg

IMG_4458.jpg

IMG_4460.jpg

IMG_4552.jpg

1109E0543.jpg

Wishing all the OC hunters the best!

Arrow3

Went and shot a limit of Oglethorpe County wood ducks thanksgiving morning and just turned them into the finished product :cheers:

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1511803609308.jpg
    FB_IMG_1511803609308.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 413
  • FB_IMG_1511803371262.jpg
    FB_IMG_1511803371262.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 418

red neck richie

BD...Those old boars are as wily as any mature deer. Speaking of pigs, 2 weeks ago my son shot a 120ish lb sow. Rather than leaving it for the buzzards, we decided to have it processed for breakfast sausage. Hauled it to Firetower and asked for medium spice with sage. Picked it up on the way down last Wednesday and WOW!!! Really good stuff! Shout out to Firetower for making great sausage. Definitely gonna take a couple more to them this season.

Just got home after spending Thanksgiving holidays at the farm. No deer on the ground but lots of deer seen and surprising to me...still a lot of chasing. I saw 5 bucks from the stand Saturday morning all cruising for does. Gonna try and post up some pics later today.

I second the shout out to firetower. I take my hogs there as well to get made up into sausage. You should try their venison summer sausage and hickory jerky. Although the jerky is kinda pricey it is really good.