2017 Oglethorpe County reports

Arrow3

Arrow...How old is that lab in the pic? Love me some wood duck poppers! Those look fantastic.

He'll turn 8 this coming January. Hate like heck that he's getting older. I still hope to get 2 or 3 seasons out of him. He's a good one for sure. :cheers:

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1511882454332.jpg
    FB_IMG_1511882454332.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 358

revans4661

Been a long time since I have seen the OC down this low on the N. GA list so I thought I'd bring it to the top... nothing really important to say, I hunted last weekend and it was very slow. My only excitement was a turkey flying to roost 20 yards away in a tall pine. I will be out this weekend, hoping the weather and possibly some secondary rut action may create some movement . I did find a nice trail leading right to our neighbors plot. Could be promising. I am just thankful to have the time and the ability to get out there and enjoy the woods.

Triple C

Been a long time since I have seen the OC down this low on the N. GA list so I thought I'd bring it to the top... nothing really important to say, I hunted last weekend and it was very slow. My only excitement was a turkey flying to roost 20 yards away in a tall pine. I will be out this weekend, hoping the weather and possibly some secondary rut action may create some movement . I did find a nice trail leading right to our neighbors plot. Could be promising. I am just thankful to have the time and the ability to get out there and enjoy the woods.

Only getting updates from my son as I have been unable to get down the last week and will be out of town this weekend. Planning on a few days over Christmas break. As for December, we've taken a couple of good bucks during the month over the years. So many acorns on the ground this year that the plots are just now getting used heavily.

fredw

Retired Moderator
Most of the guys in our lease have switched their focus from deer hunting to other things. We had logging activity on our lease again this year. Loggers used our food plots for loading zones and created a real mess. We had to wait for them to finish cutting around the plots before we could get Georgia Forestry in to clear the plots off and disc them. They are up now and we are seeing deer begin to use them.

Two thirds or so of our lease was clear cut three years ago. We had a bumper crop of poke berries and the doves are flocking in to them. Four of us took limits of doves this past Saturday when the fog lifted.

Arrow3

I killed a nice , fat doe last Sunday afternoon for hamburger meat only. Now I'm gonna kill a couple for some slim Jim's and speciality sausage.

Buford_Dawg

Slowing down...

I made a one day trip down to my camp and clubs this Saturday. It was cold to say the least, 24 as I stepped out of my truck. Saw very little activity and I hunted and scouted most of the day. Pulled most of my trailcams that had been sit up on food sources and scrape lines. My trailcams showed alot of 2nd rut activity with young bucks on Dec 5th thru the 8th. I had numerous cameras on video and have multiple chasing going on across my properties during all hours of the day during that span. Over last 10 days, virtually nothing on my cameras. We did have one of our young members take down a couple of does at my Sandy Cross club, so there was some movement to speak of Saturday afternoon. I winterized my camper and will mostly hunt day trips after Xmas. Small game season is rapidly approaching and I look forward to running rabbits in our thick clearcuts in January and February. A fun change of pace from deer hunting. Good luck to all OC hunters and happy holidays to you.

Buford_Dawg

Finished up deer season

Well, I am officially done with Deer for 2017. Made 2 trips this week after Xmas. After all the trips to the woods in 2017 I finally got a opportunity at a real nice buck on Wednesday and missed my chance. Oh well, I hate to miss, but it appears I did. Deer movement was good on Wednesday and bad on Saturday at my club. We will start our rabbit hunting here in late January and into February once deer season is officially over on the 14th. Looking forward to that, it was a great deer season for me, saw lots of deer and could have killed many, but I zeroed this year. Hope all you fellow OC hunters had a great holiday season and look forward to seeing all your reports in 2018.

Luke11

Hello all. Just trying to find some public land anywhere in this area to hunt. Hit up the wma today but last day is the first. Not familiar with this part of Georgia! Thanks and happy New Years!

ADDICTED2HUNTIN

Finished up my 2017 season yesterday. Took a new hunter down to my place and put him on his 1st two deer. Couple of nice does. I killed a doe yesterday evening and 2 pigs so it was a great day in OC. Looking forward to a great turkey season as I was in the yams yesterday evening and counted 26 in one flock. That's the biggest flock I've seen in several years. Happy New Years to all the fellow OC hunters!

Arrow3

Finished up 2017 with a 157 lb porky pig

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1514781732458.jpg
    FB_IMG_1514781732458.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 168