2017 Wilkes County

cr00241

Looks like the 6pt I wanted made it through the season and also had a nice one walk by the camera. Maybe they'll stick around till next season.

Possum

Banned
I posted these already but here are two I'll be watching next 8 months. The big 11 point I know for sure made it. Got a picture of him Jan 11th. The 9 pointer pic was on Dec 28th so a real good chance he is still alive.

Glad to hear your mature 6 point survived. That old deer will be a true trophy if you get him next year!

Attachments

• IMG_1089.JPG
    IMG_1089.JPG
    135.3 KB · Views: 4,298
  • IMG_1088.JPG
    IMG_1088.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 2,154

Possum

Banned
Since we got an official Wilkes county thread going, I'll share a couple other pics from Wilkes...
Here is my first trapped coyote I got last Sunday. Hopefully will get a few more out of there.
And my first wood duck! I dropped both of at the taxidermist Sunday.
Had a great time duck hunting with ya Corey!

Attachments

• IMG_1091.JPG
    IMG_1091.JPG
    199.4 KB · Views: 2,117
  • IMG_1090.JPG
    IMG_1090.JPG
    168.6 KB · Views: 2,143

Warrenco

I'm looking for a club or land in that area. Have a small track right on the Wilkes Lincoln co line. Know of anything, let me know please

cr00241

I'm looking for a club or land in that area. Have a small track right on the Wilkes Lincoln co line. Know of anything, let me know please

Just saw a couple postings in the club looking for people section. Check them out.

cr00241

Went to trim some trees this weekend and found this rub. Had bark still on the ground and looked really fresh. Guess some are still holding on. I left my camera in setup mode :banginghe so didn't have any pictures this trip.

Attachments

• IMG_0308.JPG
    IMG_0308.JPG
    210.8 KB · Views: 1,734

Possum

Banned
The bucks have completely left my place again. Last year I only had one buck on camera between May-Sept. and then starting late Sept-Jan I would get several different bucks on camera every day/night. Last buck I had on camera was the big 11 pointer on Jan 11th. I've got 5 different cameras out on food plots, corn and mineral sites. I get several regular does every day but the bucks are gone just like last year.
Got some hens on camera last week. I was there Sat morning at daylight to listen for a gobble but didn't hear any.

cr00241

As of right now on the harvest map Wilkes county has the most reported Turkey kills. I will try to get up there to hunt this week. How are the birds sounding, acting for the ones who got to hunt this weekend?

Possum

Banned
Me and John hunted youth weekend and heard a lot of gobbles. Called three jakes in 20 yards and John couldn't get red dot on their head cause they were a little uphill. He was upset at himself that he didn't get one that morning but it's a hunt I'm sure he'll never forget! They strutted in front of us forever.
Me and him went back yesterday morning and heard one gobble probably 40 times on the roost. They flew down just on other side of creek (neighbors land) we moved to the creek and had a good set up with our decoy out in front of us. We could hear turkeys walking in the leaves when BOOM! Neighbor busted our bird. We heard the flapping and watched a few hens fly off.
More disappointment for John but he sure is having a blast chasing turkeys! This is his first season with gun in his hand. Congrats to our neighbor on the bird!

cr00241

Sounds like they are on and at least he got to see some action. I'm sure yall will close the deal this season!

deermaster13

Pulled 2 cameras off a couple properties and was pleased what made it thru. Looking forward to the season already. My dad had a good trapping season as well, not sure exactly how many coyotes he took out of the county but was on up in double digits. Glad see you fellows posting on here.

cr00241

Heard the most gobblers I have all season this past Wednesday. Had one gobbling his head off on the roost right off the property. Tried to work him to my side but he left with hens. Had another sneak up behind me a 100 yards into the creek bottom where I was 15 mins prior. Was going to try and sneak towards him but 3 does came out literally ten feet from me. I tried to wave them off but they didn't care about me and kept feeding on green leafs. A hen met up with that one and carried him off too. Saw another one on the dove field strutting with a hen. Bellied crawled with a 100 yards of him and when I popped my head up to look, he was looking straight at me. He flew off. Heard 6 different birds but the hens are still with them. Hopefully can get it done soon.

Possum

Banned
Y'all still hearing birds gobble? Went last weekend and didn't hear one. Got three different flocks of hens roosting on property but no gobblers. Or at least no birds that are willing to gobble. Still had a fun season. Had some good early season hunts and came close to pulling trigger.
Got summer food plots planted last Saturday and then got over 1.5" of rain.

cr00241

I have been hunting in Burke County the past couple of weeks. They were gobbling good down there this morning but every time we got on one we would hear a hen and she would carry him off.

My FIL saw a couple of them strutting in the field before all the rain. I am going up there this weekend and will hunt so hopefully they will still be on. Its going to be 94 this weekend so that will not be fun.

cr00241

How's everybody's place looking this summer? I know we have had really good rain and the millet field is growing quick. I put up a feeder about a month ago and a camera. I will hopefully check the camera this weekend.

Possum

Banned
No big bucks yet on my cameras. Lots of does, a few small bucks and one big hog last week.
Our summer plots did ok, deer hit them hard and only thing they left was alyce clover.
This fall going to do perennial plots with clover and chicory to try and feed them close to year round.
Trees we planted in Feb did good, only had one crabapple die so far. Most of my American Chestnuts I transplanted in late spring died. Only have two of them now.
Got all my habitat and stand work done before it started getting hot so I don't go down much in July. Will start prepping fall plots later in August. Need to add lime, spray glyphosate, disk and will plant fall plots in about six weeks!

cr00241

I haven't checked the trees yet. I will hopefully get some time next week to get up there and do some scouting. I need to hang a couple lock ons.